WHEN MAKING TEST BATCHES

Hello everyone :  i have a question that might seem obvious to all of but I'm uncertain + hoping you can offer help. Im testing wax combinations (melts) & in the test few

weeks will be testing candles + wicks. So my question is, can I do 1/2 pounds instead of full pounds so that I'm not wasting so much wax. If so, how does that work with 

the fragrance oil. say i have 1/2 lb of wax, would my weighed fragrance be 1/2 oz or a little over if i want it stronger .

thank you in advance 

Oh yes, of course! 

I do a lot of tests in smaller 4oz jars just to get a feel for fragrances and wick combos. 

So, if I'm melting 4oz of wax I use 1/4 oz of fragrance (although I typically use 5% load, so a little less than 1/4). If I melt 1/2 lb wax, I use about 1/2 oz of fragrance.

4oz wax = 1/4 oz FO

8oz wax = 1/2 oz FO

Hope this helps!

Edited by jfear
  • Like 1

Thanks so much, i really appreciate it :) ok i have a dumb question, I've never been a good math student lol ! so, when they say 6% 9% etc of pp of wax 

how does this translate in ounces ? i gathered 6% is 1oz pp - right ? thanks again jfear :) 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

That's not a dumb question!

First you need to understand the difference between a FLUID OUNCE and an OUNCE OF WEIGHT - they are not the same thing.

You add 1/4 cup of oil to your brownies - that is measured into a glass measuring cup. Your glass measuring cup is measured by capacity, so you fill it to a certain line to be accurate. You are not weighing the oil.

Your wax is measured by the pound of weight - or half pound, etc. One pound is 16 oz, half a pound is 8 oz, quarter pound is 4 oz. You want your fragrance oil to be measured by weight also to be accurate. A liquid oz (capacity measurement) is not going to be accurate. This is why the large bottles of fragrance oil that you buy are filled to different levels. Some take more to weigh a pound, some take less.

**(There are 2 different schools of thought on the proper way to figure the percentage so we'll just use the way I do it.)**

6% is roughly one oz per pound. (16 oz of wax) x (.06 [6%]) = .96, rounded up to 1.00

6% of 4 oz ...  4 oz x .06 = .24

You weigh out your wax, multiply that weight by the percentage you want to use, and that's your answer.

You need a scale the weighs 10ths or 100ths of an ounce to get somewhat accurate measurement.