How do you like them apples?

jfear

On April 22, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Faerywren said:

Yes, you can. I used to do straight palm melts with feather palm and they were amazing. I still have some that will blow doors off years later!

A word about Tennessee, I love their oils! Their Buttercream is a must have for me. It's one of the 3 oils I use in my vanilla blend and I accept no substitutes!!! :) Dried Apple Wreath is also very good. I remember it went away for a bit and people were getting twitchy. I love cinnamon/spice/fall scents all year 'round.

Some other good choices for fall are Applejack and Peel (I have Brambleberry's, but I'm sure there are others that are good), Spiced Apples and Peaches (think mine is Candlewic?), Leaves (Just Scent) and Harvest Moon (Peak)

Hi Faeryren .... Hope all has been well with you. Well, I did order RE's KY tart + votive wax + rememebered you said you've used it in the past. Question,

the bag says to heat wax to add FO @ 160  + pour at around 150-155 . I always add FO at higher temps - around 180 -182. I contacted RE to ask if that 

was ok but they said they've only made it per directions + higher temps could "burn off FO" due to Flash Point ??? WTH ??? Do you recall if you followed

add FO temp  recommendation on bag or added higher. Thanks for your time + input, I greatly appreciate it ! Can't believe Summer is over ! 

I ditto what everyone said about RE Apple Pie (ky)....it's great!

If you need to smell more pie crust the one from Indiana is super super and so realistic.  When I make my blend of pumpkin pie I use more pie crust than anything and boy can you smell it and all the ingrediants just fold into one another so very smooth.

Also I love love Indiana;s apple strudel and it can pass for Apple pie which I do quite a bit!  You can smell everything in it and it is strong scent.

I need to order Balsam Fir from Fillmore and I think I'll get the nutmeg and ginger.  I noticed they have a New scent called Balsam&Clove that I'm getting.  Geesh I wonder if they use the same balsam (christmas tree) and do a blend.  That would be awesome.  What else is good since I'm ordering from them?

Another one I highly recommend is Fillmore's Bayberry Cinnaman.  I don't care for a plain bayberry as it is too stout for me but this Bayberry Cinnamon was a wonderful twist on the just plain bayberry.  I'm ordering 2 pounds of it today.

Yesterday I made up a bunch of candles in Candle Science's  Apple Maple Bourbon (love it), did a large crystal in the Coriander and Tonka, (new one I'll review later) and also did some candles in Christmas Hearth (another must have favorite I sell at Christmas and then change the name for summer to another name).  What I love about Christmas Hearth is  you can smell the crackling fire in it, the orange and other somewhat sweet smelling spices (like simmering potpourri) and also the pine. It's my most favorite Hearth fragrance along with Crackling Firewood from WSP (which this one is pure firewood).  Just wish I could wick it in a jar or any jar as it definitely is a BIG wicker upper.

Geesh I delivered an order to my big apple orchard account twice this past week and I couldn't believe they were set up for Christmas!  I thought I had time!  What happened to the end of summer and Halloween and Thanksgiving?  They just went right past it! lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks jfear ... I did get a sample of RE Homemade Apple Pie (KY) during their recent sale so can't wait to try it in my wax for melts. I think 

I'll just add some pie crust . I believe both Peak + ICS carries one but will most likely order from ICS since I need to place an order anyhow.

I got the same results as you did with Peak's and Fillmore's Apple Pie was just so - so on HT for me too. Fillmore's Nutmeg Ginger on the 

other - hand is VERY strong. Almost too much, so I cut back a tad on that one. I noticed Fillmore has a few new Fall FO's , Cider Donut 

being one of them. Man, I can't get over that summer is over. Not sure about you guys but for me, it FLEW by. But I do love Fall ! :)

Can't wait for Cider Mills - Cider + warm cinnamon donuts YUM !!!! 

You're ansolutely right, the time has flown! Becoming a chandler has made time fly even faster for me. There's just not enough time in the year to test all of these amazing FOs! 

Oh my, I love Fillmore. I did notice that Cider Donut! One of my favorites is their Pumpkin Soufflé, so amazing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

If you need to smell more pie crust the one from Indiana is super super and so realistic.  When I make my blend of pumpkin pie I use more pie crust than anything and boy can you smell it and all the ingrediants just fold into one another so very smooth.

Also I love love Indiana;s apple strudel and it can pass for Apple pie which I do quite a bit!  You can smell everything in it and it is strong scent.

I need to order Balsam Fir from Fillmore and I think I'll get the nutmeg and ginger.  I noticed they have a New scent called Balsam&Clove that I'm getting.  Geesh I wonder if they use the same balsam (christmas tree) and do a blend.  That would be awesome.  What else is good since I'm ordering from them?

Another one I highly recommend is Fillmore's Bayberry Cinnaman.  I don't care for a plain bayberry as it is too stout for me but this Bayberry Cinnamon was a wonderful twist on the just plain bayberry.  I'm ordering 2 pounds of it today.

Yesterday I made up a bunch of candles in Candle Science's  Apple Maple Bourbon (love it), did a large crystal in the Coriander and Tonka, (new one I'll review later) and also did some candles in Christmas Hearth (another must have favorite I sell at Christmas and then change the name for summer to another name).  What I love about Christmas Hearth is  you can smell the crackling fire in it, the orange and other somewhat sweet smelling spices (like simmering potpourri) and also the pine. It's my most favorite Hearth fragrance along with Crackling Firewood from WSP (which this one is pure firewood).  Just wish I could wick it in a jar or any jar as it definitely is a BIG wicker upper.

Geesh I delivered an order to my big apple orchard account twice this past week and I couldn't believe they were set up for Christmas!  I thought I had time!  What happened to the end of summer and Halloween and Thanksgiving?  They just went right past it! lol

Trappeur

I know, it stresses me out seeing everyones Christmas displays! I'm still preparing for Halloween! 

Thanks for the recommendations, "Christmas Hearth" sounds amazing. I have a sample of "Apples and Maple Bourbon" I still need to try, you've inspired me to do so!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Nutmeg ginger is lovely....I mix it with CS Apple for apple pie and FB pumpkin for pumpkin pie

aside from Christmas tree others I love love from them are:

cedar garland

cocoa therapy 

non holiday ones I love 

daffodil 

apple blossom 

lemon lavender

have many more on my list I want to try they have excellent oils 

• Like 1

On August 29, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Here's a few of the vintage candles I made last year. Trapper your a pro so Im sure it's much easier for you to wick your crocks  but for me it's challenging :( 

Not sure how many I'll attempt this year, but they sure are popular. The last pic, where they look like bon bons, those are wax melts made in round candy molds

and wrapped in crepe paper - couldn't find the Xmas version, I did those in cream + gold crepe paper . The vintage candles I place in the center of LG clear cello 

sheets I buy from Nashville Wraps + gather all 4 corners + tie with a festive bow. I sure wish we lived close so you could teach me how to figure what wick would

work best in the vintage containers. Thanks for looking :)

IMG_4921.JPG

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Moonstar!

You have been hiding your talents !  :D

Everything is beautiful !!--I like the way you arranged the pictures, your containers and especially those melts - they are just gorgeous!

BTW - I was trying to find those small pinecones - would you remember where you got them?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Terry said:

Moonstar!

Everything is beautiful !!--I like the way you arranged the pictures, your containers and especially those melts - they are just gorgeous!

BTW - I was trying to find those small pinecones - would you remember where you got them?

LOL ! Terry you made me laugh out loud, thank you I needed that after a crappy morning lol ! Most of them I pick off the pine trees from my parents property but 

I have bought some locally in high- end gift shops. The Mason jars are the lager/taller versions + old lids I collect when I see them for future projects. 

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. When Im out + about if I spot some of the mini pinecones in the gift shops I'll just down the brand and 

let you know so you can do a quick google search. 

4 hours ago, jfear said:

You're ansolutely right, the time has flown! Becoming a chandler has made time fly even faster for me. There's just not enough time in the year to test all of these amazing FOs! 

Oh my, I love Fillmore. I did notice that Cider Donut! One of my favorites is their Pumpkin Soufflé, so amazing!

If you try the Fillmore Cider Donut let me know what you think :) I see CandleWic has one too . I wanna add a donut to my lineup lol ! 

I too have the Pumpkin Souffle - Yum !!! 

Oh my Moonstar!:shocked2::eek2:  You sure have been hiding your talents!  Absolutely stunning work...Beautiful pictures and great presentation!!I love everything and you know me and crystal...that crystal jar with vintage silver lid is gorgeous!  I love those cute little melts.  They remind me of my firestarters that I make.  I have a couple trees (hemlock) that I get all those tiny pinecones off of.  They are always laying on the ground.  The oriental vase is beautiful too.  It's so hard to wick something like that vase when the base is so much smaller than the diameter of the jar....They can be real buggers because of that.  And the silver cups are also beautiful...again can be a bugger with the opening so much bigger than the bottom.  But you did a fantastic job on all of em!  What size wick did you use for those tins?  Did you use the 464 too?  I don't really understand the last picture with the crepe paper, stupid me I know..but what are they? You said they are melts?  What is it 1 big round ball of a melt?  Love how you did the crepe paper too.  I love everything!

Yep we would be in trouble if we lived closer to one another.  You have the same taste as me!

Trappeur

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

LOL ! Terry you made me laugh out loud, thank you I needed that after a crappy morning lol !

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. When Im out + about if I spot some of the mini pinecones in the gift shops I'll just down the brand and 

let you know so you can do a quick google search. 

Well I'm glad I brought some cheer into your day MS !!   :) 

And thank you for keeping a lookout on the mini pinecones (some of the ones I've seen on line are called mini but are much larger than what I need to use them for - the jars and the melts decos) 

• Like 1

Ahh yes, thats the name of the trees - hemlocks, thank you. Ill have to let Terry know. The wax melts, they are like the cubes of wax that you put in your Scentsy 

type warmer. I just love them ! During the holidays I like to make them more ready for gift giving + something different than clamshell packaging. I was using 

Eco soy then + was so so with it. If my memory serves me correctly I used the cotton wicks from Peak :( but no loner using them. Im playing around  

with 464 and Moonshine recommended the CD wicks + to also try some CDN's as well . Once my son goes back to school I'll have more time to play 

around with wicks. He has severe Autism so life can be challenging to say the least - but it's all good :) Lets say that doing my candles + wax melts is 

very therapeutic for me. ... well , most of the time lol ! Do you you FO in the firestarters ... Im always afraid they'll cause an explosion in someones fireplace

Have you even seen wax sachets before . I was thinking they might fit in with your spa lady. In a nut shell. its a combo of beeswax + candle wax + EO 

and then bits of real lavender buds - lemon peels etc + they are made in heart molds etc . I tie them with pretty vintage ribbon + place in a muslin bag.

Ill attach a pic later, they're on my cell phone and Im on my computer right now. They're super easy to make and really pretty. They can be hung in a closet 

or placed in a drawer. I think during the holidays people are looking for more unusual, gift ready items. Oh ... the glass jars with the silver lids are old Avon 

cream jars lol ! Thanks for the kind words :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I also use cd's with the 464.  And those sachets sound beautiful.  All my firestarters have oil in them.  I actually save all left over wax from making candles and use for the firestarters.  And no problem with any explosions what so ever.  Can't wait to see pics of sachets.  So when you put the melts in the crepe paper is it like you have maybe a a half dozen or so and do you put them in the cello bags first then put the crepe around them?  

Trappeur

• Like 1

On the Bon Bon looking melts I wrap them in the crepe paper only 

very little paper is needed so I use a heavy weight 2 faced paper meaning each side of the paper 

is a different color. I make these for a high end shop in town & she presents them 2 ways.. 1) she places them individually in a oversized clear glass jars - basically 

huge cylinder shaped jars & sells them individually .... 2) I've done either in a oversized Muslim bag with a hang tag or in slider gift boxes, those are super cute !

cant wait to do my packing this year for her. I try to do a tad bit 

different every Christmas for her

heres the pic of the wax sachets 

wax sachets are beyond easy I add lavender from my garden 

citrus & add a chard of broken 

vintage china. Those sell very well

another thing that's super easy & goes with spa is scented bath salts w/ EO. Spas are fun !! ??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Added the pics of wax sachets 

Love, Love those too Moonstar !  So very pretty.. and those labels--so simple yet so creative!  When I was down in GA last year visiting relatives I picked up a bunch of pinecones laying around under the trees, never knew they were hemlock trees though!  Still have them lying around.  Didn't see the mini PC's though.... I believe you can scent them just not sure how?  Suggestions anyone :) 

• Like 1

Terry I scent the pinecones that are a tad larger. They've been laying on the ground so I fill my sink with water + let soak for 20-30 min. I preheat my

oven at the lowest setting or 200. I remove the PC and lightly dry with paper towel + place on a old cookie sheet + place in oven for about 30 or so

minutes. They'll start to open up + get bigger from the heat plus the oven will kill any critters Yuck that might be i there.My grandkids love to do this

project + make them for their teachers :) Once they cool I put them either in a paper bag or huge ziplock + put EO - whatever you like. I use cinnamon

put them in a dark place for about 2-4 weeks + its done. Im sure theres a more sophisticated way to do it but hey, it works for me :) ps the PC will 

release some sap ( I think thats what its called lol ! ) when soaking, so they'll be a bit sticky :( 

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Terry ... You can also add dried orange slices too. I was amazed at how good it smells with the oranges. 

Thanks MS, orange slices sound delish and I appreciate the how-to directions, cinnamon yes!.  The fall is quickly approaching and this is a thing for fall right... - I'd better get busy, lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jfear said:

Wow Moonstar, simply stunning! Those crepe paper candy melts are so great, what a lovely idea!

Don't give me too much credit - the crepe paper was a pinterest idea LMAO !!! Thank you for the kind words, very thoughtful of you :)

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

omg....just gorgeous! gorgeous!  You are so talented Moonstar!  Something so beautiful!  And you put them in little slider boxes?  What a great idea so if you are putting in a drawer you don't have to worry about the wax getting on drawers or clothes!  So clever!  Oh, I would love to make these and like you said present them to that shop account I have in town.  I'm almost positive she would go for them!  Love the drawer string bags also.  So what scents do you sell to your shop account you have?

They would go so beautiful with my victorian pillows I used to make.  When I had my drapery workroom I designed pillows and my first creations were moire pillows in all beautiful colors of soft pastels and deep rich colors as well.  I did a lot of ring bearer pillows.  I used to use lavish laces, peals, beading, rhinestones, etc.    I could see these sachets sitting right along side these pillows   Just love your work!

Trappeur

On 8/29/2016 at 2:45 PM, Terry said:

Moonstar!

MOONSTAR!!!! DITTO what Terry said!! :)

On 8/29/2016 at 7:26 AM, Moonstar said:

Hi Faeryren .... Hope all has been well with you. Well, I did order RE's KY tart + votive wax + rememebered you said you've used it in the past. Question,

the bag says to heat wax to add FO @ 160  + pour at around 150-155 . I always add FO at higher temps - around 180 -182. I contacted RE to ask if that 

was ok but they said they've only made it per directions + higher temps could "burn off FO" due to Flash Point ??? WTH ??? Do you recall if you followed

add FO temp  recommendation on bag or added higher. Thanks for your time + input, I greatly appreciate it ! Can't believe Summer is over ! 

Oh my. I haven't used this wax in quite a while, but I don't remember adding FOs at that temp. I'd do a little test just to be sure. However, I usually get my wax up to 175 then color and scent and when I see some opacity in the bottom of the pot, stir it up one last time really well and pour.

You make some gorgeous items! Thanks for sharing your pics with us. 

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

omg....just gorgeous! gorgeous!  You are so talented Moonstar!  Something so beautiful!  And you put them in little slider boxes?  What a great idea so if you are putting in a drawer you don't have to worry about the wax getting on drawers or clothes!  So clever!  Oh, I would love to make these and like you said present them to that shop account I have in town.  I'm almost positive she would go for them!  Love the drawer string bags also.  So what scents do you sell to your shop account you have?

They would go so beautiful with my victorian pillows I used to make.  When I had my drapery workroom I designed pillows and my first creations were moire pillows in all beautiful colors of soft pastels and deep rich colors as well.  I did a lot of ring bearer pillows.  I used to use lavish laces, peals, beading, rhinestones, etc.    I could see these sachets sitting right along side these pillows   Just love your work!

Trappeur

Thank you for the kind words :)

i do the wax sachets in lavender 

essential oil & 1 lavender & lemon EO . These are placed in the muslin bags that are in the photos 

and use slider boxes for the Bon Bon style wax melts. I buy the bags from nashville wraps. I prefer the muslin over cotton because their sheerer. Another item that's popular, or near me anyhow , is 

Flaxseed eye pillow. Filled with 

flaxseed & a bit of dried lavender

im sure you can also use rice . 

I add some lavender EO too

they are about 4-4.5" x 8.5"

you can freeze or microwave to 

use. What a skill you have to sew 

with moire & beads. My mom in her younger days was a master 

seamstress like yourself & all self

taught. Ps my fav scent for the 

wax sachets is lav & a touch of 

lemon EO.