DOES PARASOY OR PARAFFIN CHANGE FOOD SCENTS

So does anyone feel that food scents - cookie etc smell better in soy rather than in parasoy or paraffin - for Wax melts or candles 

Im asking because i once read somewhere that they do better in soy ? Any opinions :) Off topic : its going down in the 20s tonight 

here in MI .... BOOOOO !!!! Cant wait for summer !

Guest OldGlory

The type of wax you use will certainly effect the finished product. I've worked with soy, parasoy, and paraffin pillar waxes and there are fragrances that just don't come thru the same way in all waxes. Several FOs in my collection that are bakery type scents are awesome in 464 but suck in pillar paraffin. You just have to test each new FO in the wax you want to be sure. Caramel pecan pie from Aztec is one that has a weaker hot throw in pillar paraffin.

wonder why that is ? i poured pink sugar in soy and some in a parasoy, the one in soy was much softer + prettier. I love the pink sugar from ICS.

The pink sugar does need a 2-3 week cure, longer is better though I've noticed :) 

10 hours ago, Moonstar said:

wonder why that is ?

Because the chemical make up of the material is different. Just like how a cotton shirt will wrinkle, a polyester shirt will not. How a perfume can smell totally different on one person than another. Our noses are also very different. Soy and Parasoy have an undertone that apparently only I can smell. Like a condensed milk. They can smell rancid to me where most smell a sweetness or richness. 

I blend my own wax (after testing many waxes in innumerable combinations and percentages) and selected one that offered a clean/no background scent even if I am the only person who does or does not smell it! 

One of the things my customers comment is how true and authentic the scents smell. I have 100 scents in my line and they span Vanilla, Bakery, Clean, Herbal, Fruity, Spice, Floral and more. I wanted only one wax for all scents and wanted each scent to not take on any other scent than it's own. 

• Like 2

Interesting, thank you :) in your experience what is a good guideline as far as wax types + percentages go. Will that apply to tarts as well ? 

Im just so confused right now. I read so many opinions even from suppliers, that my head is spinning :( some say soy + a few tbls of palm wax

per lb others swear by parasoy + others say only soy wax - not sure if they mean a container or PB ? AHHH .... i feel a headache coming on LOL !

I really enjoyed reading your post ....thank you !

That's the hard part of beginning - only you can answer that by testing different waxes and FO percentages - everyone smells different and everyone has a different idea of what qualities are more important in a candle and a melt 

when just starting out I chose 1 type of wax- I chose soy and I tried pretty much all of them except the ones that had really bad reviews on hot throw until I settled on 415- to me hot throw was the most important and then I had to learn the wax and make many many tweaks to get all the rest of the qualities and be sure it was safe 

I now am working with parasoy and it's a whole different world - I suggest you decide on what your wanting to work with most and only work with that type so you don't become overwhelmed

soy/ veggie waxes are definitely harder to work with in my experience now working with parasoy  but I haven't ventured into all paraffin yet  - after I master my parasoy issues I will start all paraffin and then beeswax 

Are you doing candles or melts or both? And which type of wax are you leaning towards - if it's soy then for melts you will need some votive pillar wax PB or AH/RE sells one but I don't remember the name if your using molds but some container waxes which is what you need for jars and tins can also be used straight in clamshells without a votive pillar wax 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

Guest OldGlory

You'll have to find what wax percentages work for you. I think that's the one detail some of us are unwilling to reveal because it took us so much work and cost so much to find it. Finding the right one is a matter of trial and error. Just be sure to keep good notes.

Also, you will find some ideas in the Wickless section.

There are plenty of waxes readily available that are 'tart/votive' waxes, so you could start with one of those.

25 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That's the hard part of beginning - only you can answer that by testing different waxes and FO percentages - everyone smells different and everyone has a different idea of what qualities are more important in a candle and a melt 

I agree with this 100%!

That is why I tested and tested. My testers and I were the measuring rod for what we were looking for. What we were after may be different for you.

I have built a nice sized online business which is wax melts only. I make no candles and no bath and body products. Therefore, all I can offer is information on scented melts.

After my testing, I preferred a blend of container and pillar/votive wax. I know others tried waxes in my blend and did not do as well. They did better with other waxes. Method, or "system" also comes into play. We all use different processes, methods, tools and ways of doing things and that is a variable as well.  

For me, Peak's 2 pound "sample" sizes of wax were a great way to test and blend. In the beginning I started with 10 pound slabs. In some cases, I knew a pound or 2 in that I would not use that wax again and then I had 8-9 pounds of wax sitting. Certainly other suppliers will have pre-blended waxes suitable for whatever items you plan to make. I am far more scientific than artistic. I know some who sell wax in various formats with whatever wax they happen to have and that works for them. 

• Like 1

Yes, you are ALL 100 % correct, it's just so darn frustrating :( Moonshine, I agree on your method . First choose your wax + work from there.

For melts, what has worked pretty well for me is ecosoya pillar blend with some container wax - but it doesn't work for all fragrances. So far

it's worked for bakery type scents, but they need a long cure - min of 1.5 weeks . Theres just something about the paraffin wax that I don't care 

for - not sure what it is, as I'm lacking the experience all of you have . I so greatly appreciate  all of your input. I did notice Fillmore carries a soy

wax for tarts -Golden brand, I think I'll try that since they offer it in 5lb bags /$6.00 or if you buy 2 bags its $10.00 not bad :) Ill share my findings 

as i figure things out ! thanks again everyone ! 

You will find what works for you and the types of scents you plan to carry. Once you do, it is a glorious feeling! Now, my wax will not change, so even if a friend who makes all soy or parasoy wax has great success with an oil, if it does not work in my wax, I move on. I know the variables after working with it for some time. Even when one of my waxes comes in looking more opaque or sheer, I know what to alter.

The best of luck forging your way! You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you discovered it and chose it yourself when you get there!

• Like 1