The mother of all candle molds

We got a bunch of candle making stuff at an estate auction last week and in the lot are a number of these freaking huge candle molds.

The one in the image is 17 inches tall, 6 inches wide and made of 1/8 inch thick aluminum. We have a smaller round, a 4 inch square and a few others all the same height and construction.

We have been looking to find these for sale to get an idea as to value, but have come up empty.

Anyone know a ball park figure as to value?

11515809ts.jpg

I have a spreadsheet where I figure out how much a certain size came to. Unfortunately I'm not on my home computer to be able to give you that info. But I dont know it will take over 24 hours to make LOL. Very cool :)

Wow!

Wonder how many gallons of FO you would have to use for that?

And just test burning a couple of those would take what, 10 or 12 years?

:D

LOL I'm still test burning the 10pound I made a couple months ago. As for scent I either use a fo that I'm not big on or unscented.

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are a bit curious as to the value of both mold itself and a candle that would come from such a monster.

I thought it was a hurricane vat at first, but all the molds have a hole for wicking in the bottom as well as the notches up for holding the wick stick.

We got 4 boxes of molds including 8 big ones and 20 or so more common sizes, most new in the box. Got a couple bags full of scents and dyes, but they have been in storage for at least 2 years and I am unsure how good they are. Got 4 pour pots, couple double boilers, 20+ pounds of wax, and 7 books.

Our stock of candle making supplies more than tripled with this purchase. Lots of fun to last us through the coming winter for sure.

The mold looks to be aluminum. The ones I got from a supplier were about $15 at the most and were made of metal. It's hard to say the value of the actual candle because the ones I've seen in stores have been so varient on prices.

Sounds like you hit a wonderful jackpot on the molds though. How totally cool.

Look how thick that metal is that the mold is made from and its for sure welded and not soldered so its either stainless steal or aluminum. I bet that sucker weights about 25 or more pounds empty too?

I paid good money for dip tanks about that wide and tall to be made for me out of stainless and they cost me 45.00 each. Let us know how much they weigh and I bet that will help on figuring the value.

Bruce

They are aluminum. Pretty light for the size.

Couple of the smaller molds made of the thin stuff we are sued to have been damaged at the top. Looks like the prior owner could not wait and tried to get the candles out of the mold before they were ready. Some bending at the top edge where a knife was placed in to pry the candle loose.

Good thing most are new, would be a shame if all were like that.