Daylight savings messing with my soaping schedule!

Candybee

I got up at my usual time this morning by my biological clock-- so I started out late plus I had errands which didn't help. Now it is going on 4 o'clock and my oils and lye is ready but I am already pooped.

I am afraid to let the lye sit overnight and lose its strength. Or will it be okay in a closed plastic pitcher?

I will try to make as many batches as I can but I really hate to work on soap when I don't feel 100%. KWIM?

• Like 1

Oh...I hear ya Candybee....got to bed an hour later last night than I should have ..tossed and turned and have yawned absolutely all day....yes feeling that drag. I hope you found some energy and got it done girl! :) 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2016 at 1:49 PM, Candybee said:

I got up at my usual time this morning by my biological clock-- so I started out late plus I had errands which didn't help. Now it is going on 4 o'clock and my oils and lye is ready but I am already pooped.

I am afraid to let the lye sit overnight and lose its strength. Or will it be okay in a closed plastic pitcher?

I will try to make as many batches as I can but I really hate to work on soap when I don't feel 100%. KWIM?

No, it will not lose strength. In fact, it may get stronger if water evaporates out of it, so just make sure you weigh it - then reweigh it when ready to soap, and add any water that would have evaporated. 

I masterbatch all the time, and I make my lye solution one day and then let it sit overnight to cool, so it's perfectly fine... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

No, it will not lose strength. In fact, it may get stronger if water evaporates out of it, so just make sure you weigh it - then reweigh it when ready to soap, and add any water that would have evaporated. 

I masterbatch all the time, and I make my lye solution one day and then let it sit overnight to cool, so it's perfectly fine... 

Phew!! This is like an aha moment for me JC! :soap baby dance:

This means I can prepare my lye and oils the day before and start soaping the next morning instead of the afternoon. Now that I am masterbatching them it seems to take forever to get them done and ready. By that time its early afternoon.

The great thing about masterbatching is you can produce much more soap faster. The bad news is it takes more time to prepare plus I have more molds to clean up and a lot more soap to cut.

Question: Can I leave my lye container in the fridge at night?

I have a cat and don't want to take any chances. So if I can that works great. If not, I have to find a hidey place to leave the lye container she can't get into.

Edited by Candybee

DLST is the worst - I wish they would do away with it as its been proven this hour ahead is not good for our health and does nothing in energy conservation

when we lost that hour Sunday I had to leave for the airport to get my kids at 4 am and I still can't recover - got 2 hours sleep Sunday night a 2 hour nap Monday and last night I was like holy crap it's already midnight.....I'm dragging and can't stand this 

I don't soap but my candles and melts are going to have to wait until I adjust! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Candybee said:

Phew!! This is like an aha moment for me JC! :soap baby dance:

This means I can prepare my lye and oils the day before and start soaping the next morning instead of the afternoon. Now that I am masterbatching them it seems to take forever to get them done and ready. By that time its early afternoon.

The great thing about masterbatching is you can produce much more soap faster. The bad news is it takes more time to prepare plus I have more molds to clean up and a lot more soap to cut.

Question: Can I leave my lye container in the fridge at night?

I have a cat and don't want to take any chances. So if I can that works great. If not, I have to find a hidey place to leave the lye container she can't get into.

HAHA yes, preparing the masterbatch takes a bit longer with all the weighing of the oils, but that's why I masterbatch anywhere between 30 and 35 lbs at a time of oils and 12lbs of lye at a time. 

I've never refrigerated my lye solution, and I have no idea if you can or not. I don't see why not though, since we soap with frozen milk, I would think cold water/lye would work just as well... 

JC - I was reading in another thread (the silk thread I think) that you prepare your lye solution then pour it into a container (a clean laundry detergent container) to store for later use.

I think this may be the way to go. I want a container that 'pours' and can hold a lot of lye solution, several lbs, that has a lid that is secure so if the container tips over it won't leak or pour out.

I'm thinking of saving one of those 7 gal jugs that I get my soaping oils in from Soaper's Choice.

Yes, that's exactly what I do. I replace the laundry detergent jug about once a year, but until that time I use it over and over again. It's probably fine after a year too, but I don't want to take the chance of something happening with lye solution in the jug. 

After I use the laundry detergent (which I normally don't so but whatever) I clean it out as well as I can, run it through the dishwasher, and then clean it out again with a vinegar rinse. That detergent scent is a B* to get out!! After all of that, I feel it is clean enough that nothing is really going to contaminate my lye. the 12lbs (6/6 each) fits perfectly in a standard jug. That's the main reason I do a 50/50 solution instead of my 33% because otherwise I couldn't masterbatch as much... 

Sometimes between uses, I will get little lye crusties around the edge of the screw lid, but I just wipe those off with a wet soaping rag, or paper towel and it's all fine. 

the soaper's choice jug will work. It's about the same size, but just make sure the plastic is the HDPE 5 or can handle the lye solution... 

• Like 1