Hot Throw Problems with C3

Hi, 

I was getting a better hot throw when I was  experimenting with 464 in tins than I'm getting with  C3 in jelly jars with eco wicks and I want to understand why the difference. I switched to C3 weeks ago because  I'll be selling online and need wax that will ship reasonably well in hot weather.  Does it make a difference to hot throw if you use tin instead of glass? C3 is super easy to work with and the cold throw is very good, but after two weeks cure the hot throw is too weak. I've been pouring the FO at a very cool temp, just before slush stage because the cold throw was better that way and I figured the hot throw would be also. Am I wrong to pour FO at such a low temp if higher temp lessens the cold throw? Is it possible to have a weak cold throw and a strong hot throw? What temp works best for you to add FO?  Sorry to ask so many questions. I really thought things were going swimmingly but if I have weak hot throw after two weeks... well I have to recognize I have not got things worked out yet. I'd be grateful for any advice . Thank you to all ?                                                                                                                    

•  
  •  

By the way, sorry if C3 is clickable in my post. My keyboard is having problems and the numbers won't work so I copied and pasted C3. It appears to have come through as an unintended link. Sorry for any confusion ?

I add fo between 175-185 degrees to C3.  I pour when slushy.  The only thing I can tell you about tins vs glass is tins will

burn hotter so may put off more scent.  I always underwicked tins because they scared me so my scent throw was pretty equal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I add FO to C3 while the wax is still very clear, not slushy. 

What FO are you using? 

What wicks?

what size tins?

At this point I'm using Candle Science and Northstar FO and even though I keep being tempted to change to another brand because they are kind of sooty, I'm still using ECO wicks . I was using eight oz tins and am now using eight oz jelly jars. Do you get a good hot throw?

16 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I add fo between 175-185 degrees to C3.  I pour when slushy.  The only thing I can tell you about tins vs glass is tins will

burn hotter so may put off more scent.  I always underwicked tins because they scared me so my scent throw was pretty equal.

I think I'll try your technique. Do you get  consistently good hot throw?

2 hours ago, chevril said:

At this point I'm using Candle Science and Northstar FO and even though I keep being tempted to change to another brand because they are kind of sooty, I'm still using ECO wicks . I was using eight oz tins and am now using eight oz jelly jars. Do you get a good hot throw?

Specifically what scents? Not all play well with soy. And what size Eco? Size matters.

i get great throw with many fragrances, but it takes time and testing to find the best.

Soot can be an indicator of too much FO, wrong wick size, too much color, burning in drafts, etc.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Specifically what scents? Not all play well with soy. And what size Eco? Size matters.

i get great throw with many fragrances, but it takes time and testing to find the best.

Soot can be an indicator of too much FO, wrong wick size, too much color, burning in drafts, etc.

I keep trying different size wicks. I've been testing 6,8 and 10. I briefly tried 14 but it was huge. As far as the Fragrances go, I've been using quite a few, but what has me the most surprised is that the Banana Cream Pie by Northstar, which has an intense cold throw and which I let cure for at least two weeks is mild when lit and the Mackintosh Apple by Candle Science which also has super cold throw is lacking in hot throw. Spruce, by CS is burning very weak, Orange chili too. I've got about 25 scents that are not cutting it. I actually thought the hot throw was maybe OK until I had my brother take some to his house to test and he noticed                                                                                                                                                                                                                             away that the old tin candles were far better. I'm glad he was honest because I want future customers to be happy, but now I feel like my weeks of work have not been very effective.  Many scents that other people say are strong in the reviews are not coming through, so it must be me. One thing I've been wondering about is what is considered a good hot throw with soy wax? Should it strongly scent an inclosed average sized den? Small bathroom? 

Edited by chevril

17 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

As long as it's a fo that I've tested I get a good or great HT every time.  I do carry some lighter scents that are less powerful with HT because I have

customers that don't want a strong HT but you still can smell them.

17 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

As long as it's a fo that I've tested I get a good or great HT every time.  I do carry some lighter scents that are less powerful with HT because I have

customers that don't want a strong HT but you still can smell them.

What would you consider a reasonable hot throw for soy wax? Should it be noticeable upon entering a room where it's been burning for awhile?  I'm wondering if I'm expecting more than is reasonable. I think maybe I should ask everyone this question and get a sort of poll going.

You can definitely smell soy tin candles when burning. Some fragrances, like florals (lilac, plumeria, rose, lemon verbena), citrus/fruit blends (blood orange patchouli, cranberry, Macintosh Apple), cologny-type (oak moss Amber,) I can smell all over the house. Some are too strong to keep lit for long, actually.

Your testers, make sure they don't have the house fans running, like forced air heat. Your scent will get sucked out of the house through the cold air returns. 

One way I check a fragrance to make sure it will throw is to put a few drops in an oil or wax warmer with salt. If I get throw with half a dozen drops in the warmer, but not the candle I know the problem is not my fragrance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chevril said:

What would you consider a reasonable hot throw for soy wax? Should it be noticeable upon entering a room where it's been burning for awhile?  I'm wondering if I'm expecting more than is reasonable. I think maybe I should ask everyone this question and get a sort of poll going.

If I told you where I test typically it's not like what most do.  I test all my melts  in our 9000 sq ft store.  The store is 3 stories so the scent tends to stay on the first and 2nd floor, although a few have traveled to the 3rd as my display is near the base of the first floor stairs.  If I customer comes in the front door and says wow it smells great in here, I've got a strong thrower as the display is just inside our side annex and has to travel quite far to hit the front door.  I always be sure to come in from outside and see what I think as well as my workers.  Many customers tell me they smell it on the 3rd or ask if the person in the apt on the 3rd is baking cookies (he doesn't bake or cook, lol) so I know it's the melt I'm burning.

I have tested at home in my bedroom which is approx 250 sq ft, my great room which is approx 600 sq ft  and if they fill the room so you really smell it when you walk in I consider them strong.  If it smells light or takes a few seconds after entering then I consider them good but a lighter fragrance (sweet pea is a good example, it's light but sells like crazy because it's a scent people like).  Now, I do test all candles at home because I don't want a burning candle to get forgotten on my display at night.  If I need to get on top of it or really close to it to even smell it then it's a dud IMO.

• Like 1

On March 15, 2016 at 8:19 AM, kandlekrazy said:

If I told you where I test typically it's not like what most do.  I test all my melts  in our 9000 sq ft store.  The store is 3 stories so the scent tends to stay on the first and 2nd floor, although a few have traveled to the 3rd as my display is near the base of the first floor stairs.  If I customer comes in the front door and says wow it smells great in here, I've got a strong thrower as the display is just inside our side annex and has to travel quite far to hit the front door.  I always be sure to come in from outside and see what I think as well as my workers.  Many customers tell me they smell it on the 3rd or ask if the person in the apt on the 3rd is baking cookies (he doesn't bake or cook, lol) so I know it's the melt I'm burning.

I have tested at home in my bedroom which is approx 250 sq ft, my great room which is approx 600 sq ft  and if they fill the room so you really smell it when you walk in I consider them strong.  If it smells light or takes a few seconds after entering then I consider them good but a lighter fragrance (sweet pea is a good example, it's light but sells like crazy because it's a scent people like).  Now, I do test all candles at home because I don't want a burning candle to get forgotten on my display at night.  If I need to get on top of it or really close to it to even smell it then it's a dud IMO.

Wow, that's REALLY great hot throw! So it's really possible. Then I am absolutely doing some wrong stuff. OK, I was very tempted to switch to parasoy last night, but  I see it's worth working harder with soy if the hot throw can be that good. Now I just have to figure out what to try next. I think I'll try your technique of adding FO at 175-185 & poring slushy. Another brand of wick also. I feel like a scientist! Thank you so much for answering! ?

On March 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM, TallTayl said:

You can definitely smell soy tin candles when burning. Some fragrances, like florals (lilac, plumeria, rose, lemon verbena), citrus/fruit blends (blood orange patchouli, cranberry, Macintosh Apple), cologny-type (oak moss Amber,) I can smell all over the house. Some are too strong to keep lit for long, actually.

Your testers, make sure they don't have the house fans running, like forced air heat. Your scent will get sucked out of the house through the cold air returns. 

One way I check a fragrance to make sure it will throw is to put a few drops in an oil or wax warmer with salt. If I get throw with half a dozen drops in the warmer, but not the candle I know the problem is not my fragrance. 

I like the idea of the warmer to test. Fantastic idea. Thank you!