coconut milk in soap

debratant

I'm going to attempt a coconut milk/ Peaks Coconut Milk FO soap tomorrow.  I hope this scent works out....and sticks

I've already poured my coconut milk into ice cube trays to freeze it.  

My question, having never soaped with any milk before....is this necessary?  I've seen that some do....some add it at trace.

Does it really matter how you do it?  I know mixing the frozen coconut milk is going to take a bit to dissolve with the lye....and it can be stinky.

But is it necessary to do this?  I want to use all coconut milk for my liquid.

Which method do you do....and does it matter?

There are as many ways to make milk soaps as there are soapers.

if using 100% coconut milk to dissolve your lye freezing it is not a bad idea. The trick will be to let some of the ice turn to milk with the heat of the lye, then move that stuff around (stir well and often) to a) prevent overheating in pockets of dissolved milk and lye and b ) make sure all of the lye dissolves. Run it through a sieve if you can to make sure no stray lye crystals are left over.

I find it easier to dissolve the lye in plain old water, then add the milk to the soaping oils along with the dissolved lye & water solution. 

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you.  I'm going to go ahead and use the frozen coconut milk this first batch....next batch I 

will try the other way.  I do not have a sieve....well I do...but not a soaping one...just a cooking one....so I will

be extra careful to make sure all is dissolved.  

Also, be sure to  S  L  O  W  L  Y  add your lye crystals as you stir. You probably do that already but I find with doing the frozen milk cubes you have to be very slow. I also set my lye bowl inside another container filled with ice. That keeps the bowl extra cooled. The reason for all of this is to keep the milk from burning.

Re Peaks Coconut Milk FO-- its a fader in CP soap. I was bummed out about it. I had been looking everywhere and trying all kinds of coconut FOs. The only ones I have found that leave a coconut scent in CP soap THAT DO NOT FADE over time are:

Hawaiian Sandalwood - Soapalooza

Toasted Oats & Shea - Elements (EBB)

I know they don't sound like coconuty FOs from the name but trust me the coconut is the prominent note in the soap once its cured. The HS will rice and seperate on you if you use it @ 1 oz PPO, so I go with .7 oz PPO. Although if you want to go ahead and use 1 oz PPO it is workable as in you can beat into submission but it takes a little extra work.

The TOS accelerates so soap at room temps and you may not have time to do color swirls. Besides, both oils discolor to tan/brown. But are soooooo worth it. They smell awesome and coconuty in your soap!!

What type of coconut milk are you using? A word of caution is to avoid canned coconut milk with Agar in it. I think that's right, anyway, it's a thickener and when it mixes with lye you get this monster thing that takes a lot of work to beat back down (or that was my experience); so I buy canned coconut in the Asian section that doesn't have additives. I've used the coconut Silk milk and it does ok but I like to mix it half and half with goat milk for the extra fat content. I pour my liquid over an ice bath and never let the temp get over 100 degrees. It goes all orange and smells to high heaven if you scorch the milk.

That is a bummer about Peaks....I had read in a few threads when I searched that you mentioned it might fade...I'm wondering if I add some

coconut macaroon to it if it will help?  I have coconut macaroon from candle cocoon 

So I started this post before making the soap.

Well, I did add some coconut macaroon to it.

Chuck....do you mean Guar Gum?  Because I added my lye slowly a bit at a time to the frozen cubes of coconut.  By the time it was

all melted.....it had the consistancy of thick snot.  It wasn't burnt....it was a cream color...but the consistency did not look like anyone else's 

soap video's that I saw LOL

The brand was  A Taste of Thai coconut milk.

The soap gelled rather quickly and I have a 3 inch slight crack on the top.  I have yet to cut it.  Will do it after work tonight.

Yes, guar gum. There is another brand of coconut milk without it, but I had to search several stores before I found some. That was the same experience I had with the gum. It was tough going but the other is pretty easy. I think there have been previous posts about guar gum. Thanks.

I have coconut macaroon from candle cocoon 

Haha this made me giggle. IDK why - I think I am in a giggly mood. 

Milk soaps tend to overheat, which is why yours probably gelled fast and got cracks. As long as it didnt' separate underneath or you don't have lye pockets, I'm sure it'll be fine. .. 

You can make coconut milk pretty easily. Soak unsweetened coconut flakes in hot water then whir up til smooth in a good blender. Sieve out the pulpy stuff. Great for cooking, drinking, soaping. Cheap and easy. Love that I don't have to search for the golden goose of no additives in a can :D 

Almond milk is similar.

no worries about guar or other additives. 

• Like 1

Guess that coconut macaroon didn't do much.  I'm not going to be hopeful on this one.  I am going to write down your suggestion for that Hawaiian Sandalwood from Soapalooza Candybee....all I smell right now is playdoh.  I have read that coconuts tend to smell like playdoh....but had never smelled it until now.  And it really does LOL.  I can still

smell it in my nostrils at work right now LOL.  I was huffing the soap last night while it was setting up....then huffed it again this morning....and then I ended up cutting it real quick before I left for work....I couldn't wait.  I huffed it then too....playdoh!

My husband wants a coconut scented soap so bad....and he just doesn't understand why the big guys can make a coconut scent but I can't.  I can't even give

him an explanation.    I don't think I will be using that canned coconut milk again frozen....while it wasn't difficult....the texture was just nasty slimy snotty and I was worried

whether my lye was fully dissolved.  It was hard to tell.  I also found an extra  sieve (after I made the soap)  that I didn't know I had, so I put it next door where I soap.

So, here it is in the mold

20160310_175804.thumb.jpg.980bd0d3f27246

Here it is cut....I have some specks of TD in there....I didn't want a dark bar, but that's ok.  I also was in a hurry cutting it before work....so used the wrong

knife and had some breakage, but who cares really 

20160311_131722.thumb.jpg.76cdb6f37e809f

• Like 4

A simpler way to use the canned is to add it to your batter before you add your lye solution. Just use the water you would have used to mix with the canned coconut milk for your lye solution. I assume you used concentrated canned milk? If not just ignore this tip.

You soap looks good. It may smell better once it cures up a bit. Time will tell.

I stickblend my TD in with my soaping oils before I add my lye. I always do it this way and never get TD specks anymore.

I've used the Goya brand before. Makes a nice creamy soap. Tastes good too! I like to make ginger lime coconut milk with honey, fresh ginger root and fresh lime juice. (To drink-- not for the soap!

That sounds so good I will have to make a run to the store!

Hey TT!  Found unsweetened organic coconut at Wally World. I'll give your idea a whirl and see how it works out. People have been looking for a true coconut fragrance oil for as long as I can remember and so far no good. I mean a straight up coconut with no floral or bakery notes.

1 hour ago, chuck_35550 said:

Hey TT!  Found unsweetened organic coconut at Wally World. I'll give your idea a whirl and see how it works out. People have been looking for a true coconut fragrance oil for as long as I can remember and so far no good. I mean a straight up coconut with no floral or bakery notes.

i blend dehydrated coconut with water in my Vitamix. It gets it Blended very finely. A regular blender for longer might do just fine! Strain well in either case.  I can't say that any scent comes through in soap though. It barely has any scent in a cup.

coconut is the Holy Grail of scent. I have even bought individual Aroma chemicals with little luck. the closest I found was Soapaloozas Hawaiian Sandalwood. It was coconut to me no Sandalwood.

Same here TT. HS from Soapalooza is the closest coconut scent I have found that actually smells like coconut. Its light but it lasts and didn't fade on me.

Also, EBB's toasted oats & shea has a toasted coconut note that is really strong in CP. Discolors to dark brown thou. I just made a batch and it smells wonderful. Like toasted coconut with brown sugar & oats. Mmmmm!

Has anyone tried coconut extract?

Edited by Candybee

If you are looking for the green and husky notes of coconut then Nature's Garden coconut Cabana has that. It's not the Toasty Sweet stuff we think of but it's a nice addition for dimension. 

it Blends well with Citrus notes like  lime  or Asian like lemongrass also for tart fresh Essences we can't get with the suntan lotion or Fruity coconuts

• Like 1