Newbie question--reducing amount of wax by amount of FO?

Just2BHappy

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is going to come off as a dumb question, but I really am confused.

When adding FO to wax, I know the "standard" is 6%, or 1 oz FO per pound of wax. This will vary, I know, but for the sake of this question, this ratio will be assumed.

The way I understood this, if you were using 16 oz of wax, you would ADD 1 oz of FO. I've been reading a lot here today, and I've seen where some are saying that you should SUBTRACT the amount of FO you are using from the wax. In this instance, you would only use 15 oz of wax to the 1 oz of FO. I'm not as good at the "maths" as I used to be, but wouldn't this now be closer to 7%? I can't even fathom trying to calculate my FO% this way. I'm not that smart!

Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong, because I'm sure I'm missing something here!

3 hours ago, pcbrook said:

I have always wondered if I was doing it right too!

That makes me feel a lot better! Thank you!

Even though I'm sure I'll be doing what is simpler for me, I want to know more, like why people prefer one method over the other! I'm sure there are pros and cons for both.

Since I suspect this has been debated before, I'll be searching! :)  I won't ask that you all go through it again! Just one quick question, though, before I start: is this more of an issue for making candles versus melts? I've been reading mostly in the Wickless forum, so far, and have only run across one or two brief mentions of this topic. Thanks!

Edited by Just2BHappy
Edited to correct a glaring grammatical error!

I always load up my melts with extra fragrance; not having a wick to worry about with burn performance, flames dancing, puffs of smoke or soot, etc., I load em up! lol my melts lasts for days.....don't go too overboard though, or the fragrance can morph, and you run the risk of smelling fuel or chemical notes...

I usually fragrance my melts to about 12.5%: 

that is, 14 oz of wax, 2oz. of fragrance....

Yikes! I know, I know.....lol

• Like 1

I got into the habit very early on (decades ago) after reading manufacturer rec's for 1oz of fragrance per lb of wax. 

soap calculators (generally) calculate fragrance per lb of oils. 

All of my batch calculators work the same way, and it works for me, so I stick with it. 

35 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

manufacturer rec's for 1oz of fragrance per lb of wax

Yes, this is where I got my understanding that you're supposed to add 1oz of FO to 16oz of wax (opposed to 15oz of wax). 

This makes sense to me, so this is the way I will do it. I'm a beginner so the simpler the better. :D 

I should be receiving my very first order of sample waxes and FOs from Peaks tomorrow!!! I'll be placing an order at Candlescience for some more wax types and FOs soon, I hope. I'm pretty excited!

I do my math different for candles vs. melts 

candles I add 1.5 ounces of FO per pound of wax (I do not subtract)- some fragrances I use 1.25 ounces FO per pound of wax- I use soy and have never gotten desired throw using 1 ounce per pound 

for melts I use 10%_ or least what I think 10% is (I am not math friendly either)...If I make a pound batch of melts which will give me 6 clamshells I use 1.6 ounces of FO for that pound of wax (taking the 16 ounces and multiplying it by .10)

if that makes any sense ?

The only thing I can add is be careful if you decide to add more fo than recommended.  What will happen if you are using some soy wax, is the fo will begin to bleed out of the wax and you will get tiny droplets of fo on top of the clamshell melts.  This even happens to me if I use the rec 6% with heavy fo's sometimes.  I use C3 wax.  So my advice would be

to add just 1% at a time to see how your wax behaves.

• Like 1

I am *planning* on using paraffin or a parasoy (my testing will determine, I might switch over to soy, I'm open!). Since I am just starting out, I will do my testing with 6%, to start, and go from there. I don't really want to make melts that are TOO strong. Two reasons: 1) I am personally sensitive to some fragrances when they're really strong, and 2) I'm cheap! Hahaha! I'm not averse to using more FO, just only if and when necessary! (I'm not really that "cheap", I just want to make the most effective use of my resources, if that makes sense. Sometimes you gotta spend more to get more. Sometimes, you're not getting more, just spending more!)

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2016 at 9:53 PM, Becky said:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

You will use this a lot.....HTH! :D

This is a really really dumb question but when using this calculator say your doing 8% fragrance load, you would put 8 in the top box but what goes in the other box? Whatever weight your going to be using? Say I was going to do 16oz of wax, would I put 16 in that box?