Well...I Did It

PhoenixFyre

Yes, my craftserver pals, as of this past weekend I jumped into the soap-making world and made my first batch of CP soap. Woot-woot! I've been glowing since Sunday, mostly because I now have a batch under my belt and have relieved myself of the "lye" jitters, lol.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you. I've said it before, but it can't be said enough. You are all so generous in sharing your experiences and knowledge, and it has made getting into hobbies like these all the more enjoyable (and safe, lol). This site helped me so much when I began my journey with candles a year ago, and now it has helped me with making my first soap. Can't wait until I have some beautiful soap creations to share with all of you!

• Like 7

You all are so awesome! I started with ingredients I was at least a little familiar with, so I did coconut oil, shea, olive oil, and castor oil. I did add fragrance but no color, so it certainly doesn't look fancy, lol. I tried doing the process that TallTayl has mentioned, using the lye to melt the butters and oils, and it worked perfectly. It did crack down the middle on top during gel, so I uncovered it and tried to fix it by spritzing with alcohol and pressing gently on the crack. Unmolded yesterday and cut it and now just waiting for the cure to be done.

I am excited about being able to use homemade soap instead of store bought. Before jumping into this, I bought some handmade soap from some local people to try out and I absolutely loved it. I'm feeling giddy to have two hobbies that I'm loving so much!

First Soap 2-28-16 (6).jpg

First Soap 2-28-16 (4).jpg

First Soap 2-28-16 (1).jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

That looks great!! Love it. Good job, and it looks very good for your first try! 

Now you will be hopelessly addicted.. LOL 

Thank you! I know...that's my husband's worry, my addiction to this. He's watched me these last several months researching and watching videos and just shakes his head and laughs.

Ha! Wait til he tries a bar.  Your soap looks great.

I use the thermal transfer method for one of my facial bars. Just letting the lye solution melt the hard oils then stick blending to emulsify the batter and reach trace.

Bet you can't wait to try it out. I always end up trying a piece after a day or two. I am like a kid on Christmas morning with a new batch of soap. I usually can't wait for cure so I typically cut off a piece and try it out after a few days. Then I try it again after a week, month, etc. until its cured. I love fresh soap but it is so much better cured.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Bet you can't wait to try it out. I always end up trying a piece after a day or two. I am like a kid on Christmas morning with a new batch of soap. I usually can't wait for cure so I typically cut off a piece and try it out after a few days. Then I try it again after a week, month, etc. until its cured. I love fresh soap but it is so much better cured.

I already did. :blush: I cut off a little piece of one of the end pieces and tried it today. I just couldn't help myself, but boy was I excited when I saw bubbles!

• Like 2

Your soap turned out fantastic PhoenixFyre!! hee hee...hear ya on trying out the end piece! Isn't is just so awesome when you see those lovely bubbles coming from something YOU made out of oils and lye? Just love getting those bubbles! Congrats again! :)

• Like 1

We've created yet another monster! WOO HOO!!!

The soap looks excellent, great job!!!! It's just the beginning! Now that you have your first batch out of the way, there is so much more you can do! So many recipes, additives, oils, butters, exfoliants, colors, oh, and did I mention fragrance oils?? Tell hubby you need his credit card, LOL!

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I know, Becky. Don't remind me of all the choices! I've promised myself to go slow...yeah, we'll see how long that lasts, lol.

Candybee..you're killing me! I'm laughing so hard right now. You should have seen me making just this first batch. I was so tickled once it hit trace and was hoping the whole time that it wouldn't mess up on me. Discoloration and soap on a stick -- bring it on! Ha-ha. The first time it happens, I'm gonna post it and you'll remind me that you told me so.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It looks so creamy and rich!

well done!!! *bubble bath*:wub::thumbsup2::woowoo::dance2::yay:

Those fun icons....Ohhhh......ok....I'm looking to see where you found those icons....hmmm...give me a minute..:biggrin:OK....clicked on categories....YEA!! FOUND THEM ..... :yes: OK PhoenixFyre....I am adding some YAY to your new found soap making skills...hee hee !! :yay::bliss::icon_highfive:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, puma52 said:

Those fun icons....Ohhhh......ok....I'm looking to see where you found those icons....hmmm...give me a minute..:biggrin:OK....clicked on categories....YEA!! FOUND THEM ..... :yes: OK PhoenixFyre....I am adding some YAY to your new found soap making skills...hee hee !! :yay::bliss::icon_highfive:

Heck yeah, Puma! And I'm throwing in the dancing baby because "I can't stop this feeling!" :soap baby dance:

• Like 1