FO measuring spoons in bulk?

Hi,

I'm really into mixing candle fragrance oils, but HATE washing measuring spoons (just one of my quirks) so I assign one teaspoon per FO and re-use with no washing. Now I really need to find a good source for cheap teaspoons. Any ideas? Thank you!?

If you're using them just to mix your own blends why not switch to the disposable pipettes?  They work great, have the measurements on them,

are made of a plastic that you could possibly reuse and write the fo name right on the bulb.  I always threw them away after blending my eo's.

Cheap at science supply stores online.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 2

Two things, first, use paper towels. You don't need to rewash and rewash the spoon everytime you use a new FO. Paper towels will work just fine. Then you end up only having to wash the spoon once, when you are finished.

Having said that, the second thing is you really should be using a scale to weigh out your FO. FOs need to be used by weight and not volume. Volume measuring is not accurate and will get worse exponentially with the more candles you make.

• Like 3

On February 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM, PalmettoWaxWorks said:

You should be using a scale and measuring by weight not volume.  Different fragrance oils have different densities, so 1 tablespoon of Vanilla is going to weigh more than 1 tablespoon of a citrus. 

Really? I had no idea! Very interesting info Thanks!

On February 22, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Candybee said:

Two things, first, use paper towels. You don't need to rewash and rewash the spoon everytime you use a new FO. Paper towels will work just fine. Then you end up only having to wash the spoon once, when you are finished.

Having said that, the second thing is you really should be using a scale to weigh out your FO. FOs need to be used by weight and not volume. Volume measuring is not accurate and will get worse exponentially with the more candles you make.

So, just wiping them dry with the paper towels gets rid of the old scent enough? I imagined it would cling. That would make it much easier for the testing phase where I'm only doing a couple of candles. Boy, so I have to weigh when I produce to sell...  Erg... What do you use for containers to weigh in? Any reason not to use plastic cups? 

On February 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM, kandlekrazy said:

If you're using them just to mix your own blends why not switch to the disposable pipettes?  They work great, have the measurements on them,

are made of a plastic that you could possibly reuse and write the fo name right on the bulb.  I always threw them away after blending my eo's.

Cheap at science supply stores online.

I guess that might be a good idea for the testing phase. Thanks!

Plastic or paper cups will leak- the FO Will start to eat thru it - maybe not if you work real fast but I recommend you weigh your FO in the pour pot your using and then add the wax when it's at the right temperature- 1 pot - 1 mess and paper towel gets the pot clean enough the little bit of odor will not transfer on to the next scent 

I used to use little glass measure cups like a shot glass but realized why the need....just use the pour pot your wax is going into unless for some reason your adding FO at a really low temp but I always just heat my wax to 185 and by the time it pours into the pour pot with FO the temp is more like 170.....it's worked great for me 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, moonshine said:

Plastic or paper cups will leak- the FO Will start to eat thru it - maybe not if you work real fast but I recommend you weigh your FO in the pour pot your using and then add the wax when it's at the right temperature- 1 pot - 1 mess and paper towel gets the pot clean enough the little bit of odor will not transfer on to the next scent 

I used to use little glass measure cups like a shot glass but realized why the need....just use the pour pot your wax is going into unless for some reason your adding FO at a really low temp but I always just heat my wax to 185 and by the time it pours into the pour pot with FO the temp is more like 170.....it's worked great for me 

Yep, I found out how the FO eats thru the plastic cup! I used one and picked it up a few minutes later but the bottom of the cup had come off & stayed on the desk. I just got a thing of tiny Dixie cups to try instead. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moonshine said:

I just realized you said paper leaks too.Ugh!  I do add the FO at a low temp so I think I'll look into little shot glasses. Thanks!

To make why weight versus measurements make more sense look at full 1 lb bottles of fragrance. Note how each is filled to a different point (this is true only if the supplier sells by weight, not volume) Example, from the supplier I work for, a 1 lb bottle of Drakkar is about 1/3 empty in a 16 fluid oz bottle, but the weight of the contents is a pound. Likewise the weight of one of our orange scents isn't even a full lb, it's only about 15 weight oz. but that 16 oz bottle is full to the top...

Because of this you may be using a lot more ( not less) scent than you assume you are. In the world of candles and body care always weigh wax, oils, butters and fragrances on a digital scale for accuracy. Very few things (vybar and steric acid are fine to measure in tsp and tbsp as an example) should be measured in spoons and cups.

Scales are for making candles, spoons and cups are for cooking. :)