Fragrance Oil frustration

TAH

I'm so frustrated. I keep making soaps and the scent fades or disappears. Today I used WSP Black Raspberry Vanilla. Its supposed to be a good sticker. I used 1 oz ppo. I soaped at 100 degrees or so. CPOP. I have zero scent in my soap. Its not even faint. Does anyone have any advice for me? 

When did you make this soap? Is it cured? You may have gone "nose-blind" to the scent, or you may just need to give it time. I know sometimes my soap will not smell for a few days after making it - either due to me just getting too saturated with the scent, or just not giving it time to mellow out - but after a few days cure time the scent comes back. (or at least I can smell it again) 

Also some ingredients tend to inhibit scent so telling us which oils/butters you use (not necessarily your recipe) could be helpful as well. 

I just made it earlier today. I used Coconut oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Shea butter and rice bran oil. I mixed the FO with the Castor oil because I heard that might help. It didn't help but I've mixed the castor oil and FO before and it didn't hurt it either. I just keep not getting this scent thing right. 

I use that one at 5% in CP and is sticks strongly for months and months. It's one of my best sellers in summer.

let your soap cure before you decide. Besides nose blind, sometimes the chemical reactions in the soap make the scent seem gonzo. A week or two in and the smell is back with gusto.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I use that one at 5% in CP and is sticks strongly for months and months. It's one of my best sellers in summer.

let your soap cure before you decide. Besides nose blind, sometimes the chemical reactions in the soap make the scent seem gonzo. A week or two in and the smell is back with gusto.

Maybe I'm just judging too soon? Geeze I hope thats right. I'll post back about this in a week or two. Everyone said that scent was good which is why I bought it. I'll wait a bit. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I will often not smell my soap until it is unmolded...was it still in the mold when you were smelling for it?  I ask because you said you had made it earlier in the day

so I assume it was still in the mold and not yet cut.  Sometimes as others said...it takes a bit for the scent to come out.

4 hours ago, debratant said:

I will often not smell my soap until it is unmolded...was it still in the mold when you were smelling for it?  I ask because you said you had made it earlier in the day

so I assume it was still in the mold and not yet cut.  Sometimes as others said...it takes a bit for the scent to come out.

It was still in the mold. It has a faint scent today. Hoping. Fingers Crossed. 

You are always going to have problems with certain oils that fade, morph, or even grow stronger over time. We all go through that. It takes time to build up your repertoire of favorite soaping oils that work in your soap.

One of my best sellers was a patchouli sandalwood that smelled great for about a month or two. Then it faded to nothing. Eventually I had to make the hard decision to quit using it.

Orange and lemon essential oils are faders. Even the 10 fold EOs will eventually fade over time.

Having said that, I hope your scent grows stronger. But I have founds that some fragrances that have super ratings and rave reviews from a lot of soapers don't necessarily work in my soap. It is always disappointing but a fact of working with scents in soapmaking.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Canybee. That all sounds very practical and solid. On the up side I have found a few scents that are working for me. I'll just keep trying and get my own repertoire eventually. 

The real proof will be using the soap in the shower or bath. Autumn Nights from FB did not seem all that strong to my nose but holy cow! Once I used it in the shower, you can smell it all over the house! I'm not sure anyone wants to smell like a sugar cookie or even black raspberries but its very nice when the fragrance blooms in hot water. Whereas Lust by FB is so strong it takes your breath away (hate it, smells like moth balls) and refuses to mellow out. Careful what you wish for sometimes.

Steve

• Like 1

Sometimes a little added titanium dioxide or clay added to your oils while melting can anchor a scent better in the long run:)

What's your temp at when in the oven?

Just a thought...I wonder if the castor oil actually diluted the fragrance?

Just so you know, my soaps always seem to get stronger over the next couple of days. Hang in there! :)

On February 9, 2016 at 7:22 PM, TAH said:

I'm so frustrated. I keep making soaps and the scent fades or disappears. Today I used WSP Black Raspberry Vanilla. Its supposed to be a good sticker. I used 1 oz ppo. I soaped at 100 degrees or so. CPOP. I have zero scent in my soap. Its not even faint. Does anyone have any advice for me? 

Just re-read the OP. What is your CPOP process? Temps? 

Blending into Castor is a wives tale i use too. Iif nothing else it helps distribute the fragrance more evenly :)

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:15 PM, TallTayl said:

Just re-read the OP. What is your CPOP process? Temps? 

Blending into Castor is a wives tale i use too. Iif nothing else it helps distribute the fragrance more evenly :)

I made the soap with both oils and lye water at about 100-110 degrees. Then I put the wood mold in the oven at the lowest temp my oven has 170 degrees for about an hour or so and cut it the next day. Scent is starting to come back a bit. I keep thinking there is some sort of scent secret I don't know. Has anyone has success with the adding clay to fix the scent that Becky mentioned?

I have a whole line of clay soaps and I have also been working with a variety of clays from all over the world for several years. I know people claim it can act as a scent anchor but I have not noticed any difference. Anyway that is my experience others may be different.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I have a whole line of clay soaps and I have also been working with a variety of clays from all over the world for several years. I know people claim it can act as a scent anchor but I have not noticed any difference. Anyway that is my experience others may be different.

That has been my experience too. I use clay as an added component to some of my soaps, but for the benefit of the clay, not any scent related reasons. i have not noticed any difference in scent strength is the soaps with clay vs. without clay.