Anthology Disney Soy Candles

Have you seen these new soy candles being sold by Disney....made in SC.  Looks like the etsy shop just opened in April 2015 and now the website is not accessible because of the overwhelming demand for the candles.  I do love the colored jars and labeling........Anyone know if the candlemaker is in our group?

http://www.wonderandcompany.com/now-your-house-can-smell-like-disneyland/

I don't think they are associated with disney, they are disney inspired candles. No Logos or copy rights are present on the 

candles, they are walking a fine line on infringement. Disney is so large that they would make their own candles not have a small etsy store. Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, GalaxyGirl said:

I don't think they are associated with disney, they are disney inspired candles. No Logos or copy rights are present on the 

candles, they are walking a fine line on infringement. Disney is so large that they would make their own candles not have a small etsy store. Just my 2 cents. 

Yes. That is what I thought.

With my day job, we have licensing rights with Disney (and about every other license!) and go through very rigorous contractual agreements and my team was responsible for following their style guides and submitting things for review after review.

Their Etsy profile states "Artisan-turned attorney-returned artisan! In addition to being a former DIY writer for The Home Depot and Tiny Prints by Shutterfly, I am also a first-time mother in Charleston, South Carolina!"   

Hopefully, the attorney in her thought about copyright info.  I LOVE those jars!  I didn't see a price point anywhere. 

I've had Antholgy candles a few times. Anthology's jars are clear. Just good pics/editing.

Here's a better pic: http://ritareviews.net/2015/11/anthology-candles-spotlight-lord-of-the-rings/

their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/anthologycandles/?hl=en

Here's the jar: http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/9-oz-Straight-Sided-Jars-70-Lug-P199.aspx?c=1

Well, as I suspected, commentary would suggest that both the site and Etsy were "down" perhaps not just due to the 10,000+ orders they received but also due to notice from Disney. Her Etsy site is back up with the attached notice. 

I chuckled that they are reinventing their labels to better align with their company and to not cause confusion that they were affiliated with Disney. I'll BET that is not quite how Disney sees it, but okay.

Copyright, Trademark and Licensing infringement are a big deal to me. I will never understand how people think they can use something (image, copy, quote) that does not belong to them. As someone said, "Do not build your home on rented land".  

Why in the world would you be featured in a large scale news outlet (that would not have been a surprise) and not have appropriate branding and considered infringement?        

I guess as my mama always said, "People will never cease to amaze me".

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 11.24.28 AM.png

• Like 2

Disney is one company that takes infringement very seriuosly, so I never understand why some companies even risk it, especially when the owner was a lawyer, smh.  Wonder and Company Is a site to fnd all things Disney, so being featured on there probably got her a lot of buisness, because most people thought that it was a Disney product, so she might have gotten more then a warning from Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney comes out with official candles after see the potentail market for them. 

On 2/3/2016 at 3:54 PM, MLG said:

Their Etsy profile states "Artisan-turned attorney-returned artisan! In addition to being a former DIY writer for The Home Depot and Tiny Prints by Shutterfly, I am also a first-time mother in Charleston, South Carolina!"   

Hopefully, the attorney in her thought about copyright info.  I LOVE those jars!  I didn't see a price point anywhere. 

Hi Missy,

That's a straight sided jar that everyone carries.  Aztec has the flint jar which is like that and Fillmore has lots of them too.

Your labels would look awesome on a jar like that!

Trappeur

Her original candle label had a big problem with it.... it had the Disney castle in the middle of it. She has since changed it. If she is a former attorney she had to know that was a no-no. But she also knows that it is just a cease and desist as well as working directly with Disney attorneys at no charge to make changes that would be ok. That would be my guess. Good for her. wonder where she got these scents?

She also apparently got counsel (who is in business and does not understand basic trademark and copyright??) that DOLE is a brand name so her Dole Whip is now Pineapple Whip.

She still takes some liberty in her product descriptions. Perhaps she and her attorney feel comfortable mentioning licensed characters and movies.

I am all for competitive advantage. It is NOT okay when you are gaining that advantage with intellectual property that does not belong to you. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.13.34 AM.png

She also changed the Disney whimsical title. She can get away with names like Soarin, Haunted, etc.... cant copyright names like that. It is implied so I give her props for the marketing. Disney could sue and probably still win since those heavily implied names refer to Disney related product but honestly, why?

Why is that she was featured in Huffington Post, got store placement and sold so many candles (10,000-ish in a couple of months) that she now has a 2-3 month wait list. Some (most) consumers will not care, they are just excited about the Disney tie and do not understand product licensing. She should. 

John Maxwell said, "There is no such thing as business ethics. You either have ethics or you do not."

A young/inexperienced, overzealous business person making a false move I can understand. She knows exactly what she is doing. 

When it comes to ethics and Disney we should understand that Disney for years has been subject to unethical practices. Like I said, ethics vary from one person to another. Is it ethical to put to death someone who murdered? There will always be 2 sides of the coin on that.

As for what this woman did, did she use the Disney name? Yes. She put Disney Inspired on her original stickers. Is that a violation? Well, maybe. It didn't say Disney Candles. It said Disney Inspired. The argument can be made she should not have used the Disney name but where do we draw the line on this? And yes, she used the Disney Castle on the original sticker. Was that ethical? Well, I would say no. You are correct to say she profited from that. However, changes have been made. She changed what she needed to. And from this she has grown her business. I cant tell you if she did it purposefully. If she did it was still a smart business decision because none of us have 3 month backorder of candles. :) 

And to quote John Maxwell as well  "Forgiveness allows you to be free from the nightmares of the past and to reclaim your dreams for the future."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omegacandles said:

As for what this woman did, did she use the Disney name? Yes. She put Disney Inspired on her original stickers. Is that a violation? Well, maybe. It didn't say Disney Candles. It said Disney Inspired. The argument can be made she should not have used the Disney name but where do we draw the line on this? And yes, she used the Disney Castle on the original sticker. Was that ethical? Well, I would say no. You are correct to say she profited from that. However, changes have been made. She changed what she needed to. And from this she has grown her business. I cant tell you if she did it purposefully. If she did it was still a smart business decision because none of us have 3 month backorder of candles. :) 

And to quote John Maxwell as well  "Forgiveness allows you to be free from the nightmares of the past and to reclaim your dreams for the future."

I am happy to step away from the word ethical if it is an offense. I will continue to see it that way. It was wrong. I can concede as well that I do not know if she did it purposely. I seems far fetched that it was an innocent mistake with her indicating that she was/is an attorney. 

I would not want a hefty backorder based on the property, reputation and hard work (an monetary investment!) of another company. She did not grow her business on her own merit. Not interested in building my house on rented land.

This was not just good marketing. It was capitalization of another's intellectual property.

Perhaps she is excited and feels a sense of pride about what she accomplished. I could not. 

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Looks like this hit a nerve, doesn't it?

*dead horse*

IMHO - When you use the name of a different company (Disney) on your label, to promote your products, that seems unethical and uninspired to me.

"Business ethical values vary by company, and are defined largely by the behaviors and values that govern a business environment. In general, business ethical values are a set of guiding principles that encourage individuals in an organization to make decisions based on the company’s stated beliefs and attitudes toward business practices within its industry."

Personal Moral Ethics vary from Business Personal Ethics for many companies. Personally, I couldn't separate out the 2 but maybe this woman did.