Anyone going to make New Year's Castile?

Candybee

I always make my "new year castile" sometime in January. But, I can never soap on New Years Day because we have a tradition in our house where everyone comes over for a Belgian Waffle brunch and then we have a (non-competitive) poker tournament. My whole family comes over around 9 am and stay until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. 

Anyway, yes, I'm up for it as long as it doesn't have to be on New Year's Day... :D 

• Like 2

I also meant to add, that I do a castile that is only OO water and lye, but then I also make a bastille that is 75% OO, 25% CO, with 50% water, and 50% GM. It's divine, and I LOVE it. 

I haven't made them for a few years though, but they always sold out at my Christmas show whenever I would make them... 

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 1

Okay-- doesn't have to be exactly on New Year's Day. I understand its a holiday so some folks are gonna be busy or have family, etc. But we can each make our batch of "New Year's Castile" around New Year's Day, just before or during the week of, and just post about it. Sound good? Should be fun if we just post about what we did... and pics are always welcome!

I'm going to Walmart today to pick up some large 101oz plastic containers of olive oil. They are only about $16 each so I will stock up.

JC-- I make the same bastile. I call it Coconut Castile and use 75% OO and add coconut oil, castor, and almond oil plus coconut milk.

But this New Year's eve I am going to make some of my favorite goat milk castile with 90% OO and 10% castor and goat milk.

I was just never a fan of 100% olive oil castile. No matter how many months or even a year later I tried it I just never liked it. I love it with castor oil though. To me it makes a huge difference. And my coconut castile recipe is a year round favorite of my customers and I make it in 3 scents using essential oils; rosemary mint, lavender & chamomile, and lemongrass & lime.

Oui! s'il vous plait!

Oh-- I love the term Savon de Bastile.... gonna use that on my bastile soap labels!!!!!

Seriously, make whatever kind you want... true castile or your version of it or any variation (bastile) that strikes your fancy. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a bastile while others will have nothing but the good ole fashioned real deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine won't get made until next weekend. I spent 3 full days cleaning my basement, took 9 full (huge) trash bags out, have 6 grocery bags of soap that needs to be donated, added shelving to hold my molds, moved stuff around and am this >< close to finishing, but it's still just not quite done. So I will continue after work each night until it's done. (Probably tomorrow night it will be) But either way, soaping will not be done until Friday afternoon or Saturday. :) 

Sounds good to me. My, you are quite the cleaning bee. Reminds me that I have to take inventory and do some cleaning and organizing myself.... on top of reviewing all my soap recipes to look for saving money...  plus loading all my info into the soapmaker program I just bought myself for Christmas. I think I will be a busy bee all of Jan, Feb, and most of Mar trying to get it all done in time for the crafting and market season.

.... and I am out of rosemary mint coconut castile so that is what I will be making!! :)

Looks like I won't get to the castile until next week at the earliest. I do need to make some but other more urgent things got in the way. Sorry folks! Will post pics when I get the chance to make it.

I think we are all still so busy - it's no biggie. IMO as long as it's made in January, it's a "New Year's Castile"...

• Like 2