What type of labels do you use?

Well said! Pricing your candles just right can make or break your sales particularly if you are in competition.

Re clear gloss labels. I failed dismally when trying to use them. They just don't work for me or my printer. Take too long to dry and I usually end up smudging or smearing. Plus, personally I just don't like the feel of a clear spray over my labels. Just a point of preference. But the right spray coat works like a charm for waterproofing and smudge proofing your labels.

Very well said Chuck.....especially the last 4 to 5 sentences!

I don't know a thing about printing your own labels so I design my own on Zazzle and they print for me.  They have sales every day and I always can get them for 50 to 70% off which brings the price down to anywhere between 10 and 12cents a label.  I'll sometimes pay if I need something in a rush 15 to 20cents a label and for me that is perfectly fine.  I love the fact that I can pick a design and really add or delete from the design. I can really modify any of the designs to such a great degree that I don't think a lot of people know there is a way of getting round doing this.  I get free shipping and if I'm unhappy with the print job, they will do it for free no questions asked.  It took me a while to learn to navigate the site and now it is such a breeze.Vista print I used to use b/4 I found Zazzle but their designs hardly ever change over the years.  Nothing new or refreshing.  I envy all of you who can print you own designs.

Didn't mean to get side tracked on this post.....lol

Candybee, your labels are just STUNNING!  I love how you did a faded edge look on them!  And those palm are just beautiful!  I can't see what the top label on the lid looks like.  How is it different from the label on the face of the jar.  And those bright green lids are totally awesome!  I was going to order them for me for the apple orchard account, but never did and just stuck with all gold for the holidays.....WONDERFUL JOB

Trappeur

• Like 1

Chuck, your flea market example is interesting and explains my point about your MARKET driving your packaging and pricing. Even though the $5 per candle guy may "sell out", the volume and margin had better be worth the time and effort :D. You have to have a finger on the actual products costs and business operating expenses.

Sometimes selling a small number of units in a better market is more profitable in the end than selling dozens in a lower priced. Totally depends on your business model and profit needs. It takes a while to figure out where you are versus where you want to be. The important thing is to give it an honest try and build on a sustainable market.

Candybee, your labels are just STUNNING!  I love how you did a faded edge look on them!  And those palm are just beautiful!  I can't see what the top label on the lid looks like.  How is it different from the label on the face of the jar.  And those bright green lids are totally awesome!  I was going to order them for me for the apple orchard account, but never did and just stuck with all gold for the holidays.....WONDERFUL JOB

Trappeur

Thanks for the compliment! The top lid label identifies the candle type and the jar/side label identifies the scent, weight. I wanted to use the red jar lids but at the time I was buying they were out. So I bought the green cause it was another Christmas color. I also switch out colored lids during different seasons; fall: orange, Christmas: red or green. I think for the Spring I will use another color. Fillmore's colored lids are awesome. The green ones help support the 4-H clubs of America.

BTW-- I was at Fillmore's last week and on at their reception desk they had some labels in Army green/brown camoflage colors. They were really pretty. Wonder if they help support Armed services?

Go to Hobby Lobby or any crafts store and you will be looking for a document or photo sealant. I take the labels out of the shop and lightly spray them down with the sealant. It dries quick and clear but it does have a chemical odor that fades after a couple of days. I let my labels sit for a few minutes after printing and try not to get finger prints on them until they are sealed. It's a hassle but I like the look. Especially now that my jars have black lids. You do know that black and white are the trendy Christmas colors this year? Reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas, lol. HTH

Steve