Need Opinions on Wick Size - Have Pictures!

It smells great! I will make new testers (12 and 14 for good measure) and see how it goes. I'm surprised that with such a deep initial MP with the 10 it ended up seeming too small later... I guess things really can change a lot in the second half of the candle!

The initial deep MP could have actually caused the later problems in the container. Weird, i know.

A lot depends on your wax, but I use CD12-14 in tin containers that are 3"+ wide. Tin releases the heat easily. In a small glass jar that insulates the heat, that large of a wick could compound the problems you see. I use Cd4 in a ceramic jar of about that width with my wax.

And the Fo could be creating wicking issues. I would actually make an unscented jar with each of your wicks-the Cd8, cd9 and cd10 to compare the burns first. Sometimes the fo is just not worth the headache.

Most cinnamon FO's require larger wicks, but in that size jar the larger wick may not work cause it will get way too hot.  Did you try cutting back on the FO? Too much FO can also cause the wick to drown out & sometimes that helps and your scent throw is still usually pretty strong. 

Otherwise, do as TallTayl suggests and test your jar without FO's, to get a gauge on the actual wick you need with that particular wax.

You should be using CD instead of CDN and you will get a better burn. Less mushrooming, better self-trimming and a more predictable melt pool. CD 8 will probably do fine. For your first test, simply burn 3 or 4 hours at a time and see how it does. Getting a full melt pool near the top is unimportant. Hangup in the first half or more of the container is also fine, as it can disappear towards the bottom.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I am trying cutting back on this FO when I attempt some new wicks. I also ordered a sample pack of Premiers to see if they're any better than the CDN's. Unfortunately I already spent quite a bit on CDN's so I'm still holding out hope that maybe I can get them to work... We'll see. I'm also trying to improve hot throw, as mine is pretty light in all my candles so far. I add a little USA for appearance, but I just read Vybar can help with holding more scent. Not sure if I can or should use both? Still so much testing to do.

I did a bit of testing with C3 and I found the 10 burnt similar to a 16, and a 12 burnt between an 8 and a 10. This was with a HM Wax coating.

How much FO are you using? That last pic looks like you may be burning a thick fragrance and/or possibly too much FO

Edited by crvella

Crvella,

Interesting about the wicks, thanks for the insight! I will definitely be trying the 12. As for the FO, I know I was using too much - closer to 1.5 oz pp as I've been struggling with achieving strong hot throw. But I am certainly going to cut back on this scent!

Trappeur,

I was only letting them sit for a few days before for testing purposes, but I made another batch recently that I'm going to let cure for AT LEAST 1 week if not 2. Hopefully it will make a big difference!

• 1 month later...

Hi DG17,

If you can, let your candles sit at least two weeks and the hot throw will knock your socks off.  I learned that a week was good but 2 was better.  The difference was amazing.  I've seen that the wax hardens to a better state which makes for a better throw.  best of luck.