I love Square!

Candybee

Well, I think I may have to buy both kinds, which is irritating. :-/

The one I have now works on both my iPad and my Android phone, which works perfect, because my iPad is WiFi only, and if the wifi is spotty or not there at all, I can easily just switch it to my phone which uses my 4G data.

UGH - Well, I have the 49.99 one ordered, and guess will have to look into what it takes to get the Android one. 

I have a show on Oct 1 (two shows actually) and a few in November and December, so hopefully I will have something resolved by then. We'll see... 

I'm confused on the two chip readers as well. How do I know which one will work on my phone?!! I think it really sucks that we are expected to be responsible for fraudulent charges for swiping after Oct 1st when this new system takes place if the darned chip readers don't work with all the different phones yet!!!!

• Like 1

I'm confused on the two chip readers as well. How do I know which one will work on my phone?!! I think it really sucks that we are expected to be responsible for fraudulent charges for swiping after Oct 1st when this new system takes place if the darned chip readers don't work with all the different phones yet!!!!

Exactly! They sure don't make it easy. I didn't know a thing about it, which is upsetting enough, but even after I found out, they are very limited with the information on the site... *sigh*

When we get the new chip reader, do we keep the mag stripe reader to use for cards that don't have the chip?

It was my understanding that the new readers work with both the chips and the strips.  I have a show coming up and I think I better test it to make sure everything is in working order!   ;)

• Like 1

I tested out the one I have last night.  You have to charge it up before you can use it and it works with both the chips and the strips.  When I ran my card through it.......nothing!  What!  I did an update for Square and it had to update the reader also and "poof" worked like a charm!

I'm not worried that the reader can work with both the swipe or the chip read-- its whether or not the device will be compatible with my phone!

Especially since after Oct 1st we should be reading the chip only and not swiping. Unless you want to chance the risk of a fraudulent card by swiping. No thanks!

Yeah, but if you have a 10-12 hour show, (like a couple of mine are) and no electricity to charge, and the reader will only hold a charge for a few hours, I guess it's not going to matter whether it only reads chips or not because once it's dead, it won't read anything. 

Let me play devil's advocate for a sec. How many fraudulent cards have you taken in person during the time you have been in business? The fear factor is playing right into their hands.

The threat is that we are responsible for the fraud charges, and potentially a fine for up to $10k. It scares and forces us into action. But.... They have no plan or answers for us which answers the real-life fears, like internet charges, no power, short battery life, etc.

• Like 1

They have no plan or answers for us which answers the real-life fears, like internet charges, no power, short battery life, etc.

Exactly. That's my main concern.

That and that it won't/can't be interchangeable from Apple based to Windows(aka Android) based applications. 

i've had a couple of bad charges in the past. But that was when I was still using my knucklebuster at shows then posting the charges at home after the show. So I know it happens even if its rare. This was at one of my biggest shows with an attendence of about 35,000 - 40,000. They had also had pickpockets and thieves steeling cash boxes and registers in the past.