Double wicking a glass jar that is wider at the top

Hello!  I just returned from the store with three new glass jars to try, and I am scratching my head a little as I think about wicking one of them.  It is the Roman Urn jar which is wider at the top and tapers down to the bottom.  I would like to double wick it, but am not sure where to start.  The only jar/container I have ever double wicked is the mini aluminum loaf pan...I just thought of it as two separate square candles, used a wick that matched the diameter of each "smaller" candle, and measured the middle of each smaller candle and placed the wick.  I have never double wicked anything that was round before.  My question is...when double wicking a round jar, how do you determine your starting point for wick tests?  Do you think of it the same way I did the loaf pan, or is there a more correct way to calculate wicks for round jars?  Also, when picking a wick size, I know I need to take into consideration the fact that it tapers down ...so do I choose a wick based on the diameter of the bottom, the middle, or the top?  I assume not the top since it would be way to hot by the time it got down to the bottom of the jar...but I am still a noob and don't know it all yet  ^_^  (only make for myself).  Here are my variables and what I am thinking:

Jar - 4.25" top diameter, 3.5" base diameter, 3.5" tall

Wax - IGI 4627

Colorant - none

FO (blend) - 1:1 Peaks Birthday Cake, Aztec Birthday Cake

Wicks - I only have HTP wicks...so I was thinking of using two HTP 52

What do you think?  Am I headed in the right direction with my thinking, or do I need a course correction?  I am sure this jar will be a pain to wick, but I like it so much that I think it will be well worth the time and all the tests it will take!

I'm new to this myself, but this is how I double wick - find the center point of the jar (like if you were to single wick) then put your wicks at either side of the center point, it's worked for me so far and I'm using a jar that is wide in the middle and smaller at the bottom. Hope that helps. Hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in with expert advice.

I wouldn't double wick because as the candle burns down to the narrower part, the glass will get way too hot.  If wicked for the narrower part, there will be some hang up in the beginning as it burns down but the lower the wick gets, the warmer the glass sides will get and it should catch up.  This type of jar is certainly a trial and error thing.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your suggestions and well wishes!  After a little more thinking, I have decided to try one wick and then if I can't get that to work, then I will try two.  I was so excited to get some wax poured, but was saddened when I found my wax stash to be super low...too low for this jar...bummer...so I mixed up a different blend and poured a smaller cube jar that I also got from Dollar Tree.  I still have a new candle, but not in the jar that I wanted, so I am off to order more wax!  I will be sure to post once I have it poured.