Got my soy

Gonna play today! 

For some reason I thought it was solid and not flake form... ? I mean, I know a lot of the natural waxes are flake form, and the ecosoya wax I've used in the past was flake so I have no idea why I thought this would come in solid, but I did. LOL 

Anyway, I'm going to make 2-3 100% testers in scents I know throw very well in my paraffin, and HOPE I get a good wick to start (atm I only have zincs, CD's, and very few HTP's) 

I will start with the recommended CD size for the container I'm working on and go from there. 

I'm also going to pour a few parasoy' candles at a 75p -25s blend and see how that goes. 

It will be tough waiting for the test burn, but I'm used to CP soap making, so I can probably handle it. Maybe ... LOL 

• Like 2

Have fun, I never miss the new fo testing but for some crazy reason I miss playing with new waxes.  I've been waiting and waiting to try GW's Parasoy blend.

I guess because it comes in slabs and I love flake...EMBRACE the flake!

Guest OldGlory

Have fun!

It is agony waiting for the cure time to pass. I put those candles in a room I don't use until it's time to burn so they're not in my face every day. It helps. And I test new fragrances almost immediately after receiving the samples so I already know if they will work for me when the opportunity to sell them comes up. Research and development rocks, doesn't it?

Oh yes, I love flakes. Sooo easy to weigh out and none of the cutting it up into chuncks, or smacking it with a hammer, etc., :) 

I have a flake pillar paraffin wax and I LOVE IT. It makes such nice creamy pillars, I always get asked if it's a parasoy blend by other candlemakers or how I get a pillar so "creamy' looking. Nope, it's a paraffin blend, with nothing added by me other than fragrance and dye, and I love it. It's what I make my candy corn pillars with. 

OldGlory, I actually LOVE LOVE LOVE the R&D portion of creating and making soaps, candles, and lotions. It's the waiting to test them to make sure the development of my research turned out, that is the hard part. LOL 

Well, had it all ready, weighed out, in the pot. Melted to 100% soy and then let it resolidify to temper it. Once it was completely cooled I turned it back on, and boom. No electric on ONLY the two outlets I use for soaping and candle making. I went to the fuse box, everything is good. I pushed the reset button on the GFI outlet, still nothing. All the other outlets in the basement work, everything else in the house works, so I'm clueless... My hub is at work and won't be home for a couple hours, so I am at a standstill until then. 

SIGH 

Have fun, I never miss the new fo testing but for some crazy reason I miss playing with new waxes.  I've been waiting and waiting to try GW's Parasoy blend.

I guess because it comes in slabs and I love flake...EMBRACE the flake!

I didn't know GW had a new parasoy blend. WOW good to hear

What paraffin do you have that is in flake form?

It's from C&S and it's called production preblended paraffin. 

It's more like beads than flakes. 

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Production-Preblended-PILLAR-Wax-per-lb-50-case?sc=7&category=36959

I got 10 cases of it a while ago and it was only $55 a case, so the prices have jumped dramatically. 

Did you ever get it figured out? Sounds like it might have been the wiring.

I did. It was the fuse box, the circuit breaker is not big enough for me to have EVERYTHING plugged into the same circuit. LOL So, I'll need to have an electrician come out and switch out the breaker box with a bigger circuit breaker if I want to do production type pouring again... 

I did. It was the fuse box, the circuit breaker is not big enough for me to have EVERYTHING plugged into the same circuit. LOL So, I'll need to have an electrician come out and switch out the breaker box with a bigger circuit breaker if I want to do production type pouring again... 

Oh no! Another expense. I guess its better to be safe and have the wiring set up right.

Well, it's set up right and up to code for regular day to day use, but if I want both presto pots plugged in, my skillet to warm my pour pot, my microwave and my scale all plugged in and on at the same time, then it can't handle the load and will have to up the circuit breaker. 

Right now it's not a problem, because I don't do that much production at a time. I was just trying to pour 3 different kinds of wax/candles at a time. Can't do that unless I set up a station across the room. 

IF my production load ever picks up again to what it once was, then I will spend the money to have it done. 

I hate to tell you this, but melting the soy more than once doesn't do anything besides waste time and electricity. Search high and low and you won't find this tempering technique mentioned anywhere on earth, because it isn't tempering and it's completely made up. Actually it originates here from someone who, to be generous about it, maybe concocted it out of a huge misunderstanding. It's not her only pernicious information virus.

Each time you melt the oil (wax) is exactly like every other time you melt the oil. Completely melting it hits the reset button and starts over.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I hate to tell you this, but melting the soy more than once doesn't do anything besides waste time and electricity. Search high and low and you won't find this tempering technique mentioned anywhere on earth, because it isn't tempering and it's completely made up. Actually it originates here from someone who, to be generous about it, maybe concocted it out of a huge misunderstanding. It's not her only pernicious information virus.

Each time you melt the oil (wax) is exactly like every other time you melt the oil. Completely melting it hits the reset button and starts over.

Ah, this is good to know. 

As I've said, I've never worked with soy with any kind of true interest, so do not really know much about it other than some limited research. 

I've done more research on soy in the last week than I have in the last 17 years. LOL So, it's all foreign to me.