:) Look what I did!! A TSM made by little ol' me

HAHA It's the little things in life. 

I've been wanting a TSM (tall skinny mold) for a long time now, but refuse to pay the prices these suppliers charge for them... Sooo, short story long, I've been on the hunt for the Coroplast(sp?) without having to buy it. (I'm so cheap!! LOL) Well, I went to my friend's house and she had some sitting in her garage and she had no use for it, so she gave me a giant sheet of it. :D (what are friends for if not begging craft supplies from?? LOL) 

I've had it for about a month or so, and decided since it's rainy/snowy out today, now is the time. I got my husband's square out of the garage, measured, marked and cut and viola! a TSM!! 

It is really skinny though. The dimensions are 2.5"W x 4"T x 12"L

I might make another one at 2.75" instead of the 2.5" which I think the 2.75" is actually what was recommended to me and I forgot. *shrugs*

Anyway, the corners were vexing me. I tried several ways (in my head) to work it out, but nothing concrete was coming to mind. I thought I was going to have to cut the squares off the corners and just really tape it up. Well when making the score lines to fold it into place an idea (LIGHTBULB as Gru would say) came to me and I decided to score one side, and cut the other, fold it over and then use wick-stickums to adhere the corners to the side. 

(I know, can't explain right, but look at the pic, you'll know what I mean! LOL) 

So, without further ado, here it is:

TADA!!! 

Now the trick will be actually using it, and hoping those wick stickum stuck corners don't leak. 

post-200-0-78386900-1431108754_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-50749000-1431108772_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-32906900-1431108790_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-84239600-1431108807_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

How cool! Can you run a thin bead of silicone in the corners to seal it?

I love figuring things out like this. Makes me feel smarter than I really am, lol.

well, I could, but then trying to get the soap out might be difficult because this stuff is pretty stiff and doesn't have a lot of 'give' to it. I want to be able to take it apart if need be to get the soap out. 

I actually don't think it'll leak and if it does, not bad. it's pretty tightly secure, and even though I don't mix past emulsification, by the time I have all my goodies in my batter, it's at a decent light to medium trace, so I think it should be fine. 

It was so much fun to make and only took me about 15-20 minutes from start to finish. Took me longer to find the square and my utility knife than it did to actually make the darn thing! HA

Now that is too cool! Glad you were finally able to make the mold you wanted! Can't wait to see what soap creations you make with it.

Maybe for now you can use small pieces of electrical tape to seal the corners. That way you can untape to unmold and it should be good for a few untapings.

I'm gonna try with no extra help at first and pour pretty thin to see what happens. If I find I need reinforcements, I'll use some tape. I have electric, duct, packing, masking, you name it, tape so I should be able to find something. LOL 

Anyway, I have started really super spring (aka winter here since it's SNOWING!!!) cleaning my soap room. I swear it's a bigger mess now than when I started. LOL 

That is a thing of total beauty. A smidge of vaseline seals the seams up quick as a lick in a pinch.

Good idea on the wick stickum. i don't know how many times you'll be able to open/close, but maybe the next iteration try velcro dots? You will need to be able to release the vacuum created by the mold, which is where thenTSM silicones are handy. I can pull the sides away and push on the bottom to slide the log out.

2.5 inches is the width of my nurture TSM. I would not want any rhinner, but give it a test run before going wider. You may be surprised at how that width looks and feels once cut.

Off to locate some cloroplast myself now! I need some quick, temporary block molds!

BTW, the cloroplast may make a nice "box" type of support for flimsy silicone liners too.

Thanks, TT. I'm not too concerned about the stickums but just because I got them for candlemaking, and then discovered I didn't really like using them, so I have about a hundred of them. Plus they are cheap enough, and I work about 2 minutes driving distance away from Peak if there is an emergency. LOL 

But yeah, releasing them is why I didn't want something permanent to seal up the sides, so it's good to know my thinking was on track, and it's a good idea with the velcro if I ever do run out of the stickums. :)  

I think this is a good temporary substitute for molds. I know they won't last forever, but I think they will last long enough to make it totally worth it. :D

So, after making some soap in the mold, I have determined that wick stickers are not the way to go. LOL 

They left a sticky mess that took forever to get off because they were not reusable. 

I've prepped the mold to make another (taller) batch today, and am just using packing tape along the sides to adhere them... But it did work, and besides the sticker cleaned up very easily. :)

Edited by Jcandleattic

Sounds like its working out great! So are you gonna make some more TSM's?

Wanted to ask, do you have to line the mold or does the soap come out easily from the coroplast?

Not sure if I'll make more molds until this one goes caput, but I will definitely make more soap - in fact, I just got done making a 44oz oil soap in it a few minutes ago. 

No lining required, and it just peels off the soap easy as can be. Leaving very little residue, and no bending of the mold. Here is a pic of it right after taking the soap out without cleaning it up. 

post-200-0-75228100-1431287747_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No lining required, and it just peels off the soap easy as can be. Leaving very little residue, and no bending of the mold. Here is a pic of it right after taking the soap out without cleaning it up. 

Heh, that's exactly how I make my mold liners. Yours stands on its own.

Heh, that's exactly how I make my mold liners. Yours stands on its own.

I have a template for my freezer paper liners. I did not even remotely think to use something like that to make this mold. LOL I did it the hard way (even though it wasn't hard at all) :)