Label question, please help.

I find labels to be my biggest issue with bringing new scents to market, I like to trial new scents in the marketplace but this requires new labels. I am not that large, so to order new labels is a pain because you have to layout so much money if you want to get them at a decent price. I have tried printing my own but just am not happy with the quality. Can anyone else shed light on how they deal with labels?

Guest OldGlory

Hi wgregg! This is a very common problem, and people choose a variety of ways to resolve it.

1. Some people just get happy with the labels they are able to produce at home...nothing fancy but it gets the point across.

2. Some people go middle of the road and use a label supplier with a website template to design the labels (designing it themselves) and have the label company print them out and send them. A few suppliers are PlanetLabel or OnlineLabels.

3. Some people hire it out completely and get professionally designed and printed labels.

So it just becomes a matter of how much you are willing to spend, and how you are willing to spend it. Do you want to buy a graphics program and have access at your hands to create fancier labels? I haven't purchased a new graphics program in more than 10 years and the last one I bought was over $100. Learning a graphics program, if you are not adept at computers in general can be a challenge.

Maybe trying your hand at a supplier based template would be a good way to find out which way you are most comfortable going.

You can buy labels pretty cheap printed. One of the suppliers I have used is print runner. 100 printed labels are only 16.00 dollars. If you need a program publisher is great. Only 10.00 a month. You can also download a graphics program called gimp for free. Hope this helps

I have been using online labels to design mine- I then save the PDF and email it to my local print shop and supply them with the labels to print on

It's worked okay but I mainly use round Kraft labels and they are hard to print exactly centered- some end up way off and it irritates me so much but customers do not even notice it - but to find a pro that press on prints for all my different scents is just not affordable for me and my printer does way worse than my local print shop

Square are much easier to work with and I've been considering switching but I love the round on my lid leaving the jar clean

Maybe on your new/trial scents you can just print up a generic simple label.  Then at your shows, keep a small section for new scents.  Tell people what you are doing and if the scent is a hit then add it to your permanent group you print nice labels for.  Just an idea.

• Like 1

Download Avery's free program and make your own. It's simple and cost effective for a small budget. Customers think my packaging looks very professional. I have a ton of templates for my products and am always updating or changing the look for more customer appeal and information. Labeling has never been a problem for me but keeping costs down is a constant challenge. HTH

Steve

• Like 2

Another AveryPro label program user here. I just love this program! Its free and user friendly and I am always getting compliments on my labels. People ask me where I get my labels done and when I tell them I do it myself they tell me they look so professional they thought I had them made. :)

They also have a printer calibration tool you can use to help center your labels.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use avery, took me a while to get them centered, I download a image , and add it to a blank label, I had to work around with getting them centered. print and then hold to light to see

if they are centered, if not I go back and move them up are down to get them centered. it can get frustrating, but print on printer paper, and put behind your avery lable, to see if they are centered, that way you don't waste all your labels, since this can get expensive. hope this helps

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I too use Avery. Print them at home. Buy labels from Amazon.  I designed a specific look for the line of candles we make. I made a unique one for Aromatherapy, Palm and Blended wax line. I just change the scent name to match. Same background. We have come up with a great lid jar combo with lots of complements. I tried the fancy pics and labels and it never sold any more or less.