wet spots

Best tip? Embrace them. They are a fact of container candle making, and the only people it bothers are the candle makers themselves. Consumers really just don't care. (or even notice them unless they are pointed out) 

And the problem with finally eliminating them, is that when the temperature changes, they will just reappear. Then all your hard work is for naught. 

I learned a long time ago, to just not worry about them and have been very happy and less stressed since. It really is just a fact of candle-making and purely an aesthetic problem and nothing else. 

• Like 1

Just exactly what JC said, live with it! lol.....It will be a never ending battle.  Like she said only us candlemakers critique ourselves as bad as we do and NO customer will notice it.....It's just the nature of the beast.....

Trappeur

• Like 2

Personally I use mineral oil to tackle this, but I've also had an issue which I noticed on the week that my current source of mineral oil, when burnt, had a touch of 'tiki torch' smell to it (kerosene)

I've never had that 'tiki' problem that I noticed previously, and I'm waiting on the company to get back to me as to whether the oil has been contaminated with kerosene.

Give it a go. Start with %5 and go up to 10 if need be.

When you add mineral oil though, then you have to down load your scent. Wax will only hold a certain percentage of additives before it starts breaking down. It can also promote smoking where it would otherwise not be present. 

Honestly, take if from the seasoned chandlers, wet spots are not a big deal at all. The consumer does not notice them or if they do figure it's just part of the candle (which they are!) And most are used to seeing store bought candles. Have you ever seen a store bought container candle, and the wet spots on those? 

Kringle rarely has wet spots. I cand stand a wet spot or two but not that speckled or completely pulled away look. I would say that customers first concern is cold throw. They have to be able to connect with the fragrance before buying and then they expect the same result in the hot throw. It's a difficult balancing act because of temperature changes and other factors but that's the nature of the beast. I don't spaz out over wet spots but its nice when a batch has that nice uniform appearance. Seems like heavy bakery fragrances are the worst (creme brulee) but bottom line for me is to remember that hand crafters depend on everyone making their best product. Hand crafters or artisans need recognition for providing well made, beautifully crafted items that aren't mass produced copies of the same old thing.

Steve

Ditto all......don't pull your hair out over something that is insignificant.  Chances are, if you do something and the wet spots disappear, chances are, they most likely will be back......Put your label over the wet spot is another suggestion.

Trappeur

6006 is a parasoy blend meaning it has a certain % of paraffin to soy. Paraffin is notorius at producing wet spots which occur as the wax cools and pulls away slightly from the jar container. Its the bane of all paraffin candle makers but most learn to adapt or embrace them as JC and others point out.

If you really want to reduce the wet spots you could add a little soy wax. I would start with 5% increments. Just remember anytime you add something to your wax blend it will change the performance of the wax. Sometimes it can be in a good way sometimes not. You will have a much better candle using soy as an additive to reduce wet spots than if you add mineral oil.

You should remember that 6006 is an already blended wax produced by the manufacturer to perform without additional additives. All it needs is scent and color.