Driving to PA

Hi everyone I am having my winter recess next week and is thinking of taking a drive to the candlewic or candlesandsupplies store in Pennsylvania  . For those of you who order from these companies what spring  fragrance is a must have from them .

the two that pop in my head from Candlewic are their Peaches and Sweet Berries and the Wild Blueberry one.  I love them both in candles and I have put the blueberry in soap as well.

Maybe swing through Lancaster County as well and check out Filmore containers.  There was a thread recently talking about their fragrances.  Lancaster isn't too far from the Philly area if you hop on the turnpike. Their website has directions etc on it.

Heck depending on the drive Peaks now has a warehouse in Carlisle, which is outside of Harrisburg as well.  :)

It would be so cool to save up the funds and do a full road trip to the different mega candle suppliers!!!  I'm not sure if my nose could take all the sniffing.... :o

I make that trip quite often but don't really buy many FOs from either C&S or Candlewic. I buy more FOs from Fillmore Container. You know Peaks distribution center is just outside Harrisburg and they have a lot of really good FOs that work great in candles.

When I go to PA I usually do this circuit run:  Peaks, then on to C&S, then Candlewic, then Fillmore, then home. Its a full day trip but if you plan it right you can get all you need. Gas is cheap right now so its sooooo worth it!

PS the scenery around Fillmore is TDF! Is in Amish Country and the farms and countryside is gorgeous! You can see buggies and plain folk around the area so take a camera if you go. If you can stop at a Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant and ask to be seated in the family style section to eat. Its a lot of fun and don't forget to have a slice of their famous shoo-fly pie!!

Edited by Candybee

I agree make a stop at Fillmore. Last summer we were in Scranton and took a day to drive to Fillmore and Candlewic. It was nice to sniff in person and yes the scenery near Fillmore is so pretty. I was thinking I would make the drive a few times a year rather than shipping but it is still cheaper to ship when I factor a 600 mile round trip drive, about 10 hours in the car it is not worth it.

Karen in MA

I live about 50 minutes from Candlewic, Fillmore Container and CJ Robinsons. Sad part is I don't like any of their waxes!

You lucky! I'm jealous. Did you know C&S is about 30 minutes from Candlewic. Its between Candlewic and Fillmore. So you are probably close to them. They carry just about every wax on the market, IGA, Astorlite, Golden Brands, Ecosoya, and lots more. Plus all the wicks series and lots of jars. They have a humongous warehouse. I know because I've been there many, many times. I love going in their showroom and smelling all the FO bottles. BTW-- they also have the hugest selection of FOs I've ever seen.

• Like 1

You lucky! I'm jealous. Did you know C&S is about 30 minutes from Candlewic. Its between Candlewic and Fillmore. So you are probably close to them. They carry just about every wax on the market, IGA, Astorlite, Golden Brands, Ecosoya, and lots more. Plus all the wicks series and lots of jars. They have a humongous warehouse. I know because I've been there many, many times. I love going in their showroom and smelling all the FO bottles. BTW-- they also have the hugest selection of FOs I've ever seen.

yes I actually did know that and forgot to list them! Thanks for reminding me. I never did like their FOs though. They were really weak and I haven't gone back to them in years. I use to get my MP125 from them and J50 when Astorlite made it. I haven't found one wax since that compares to the original J50 and I tried them all 4630, 4633. 4627.. Etc....I was really disappointed when they sold out :-(

yes I actually did know that and forgot to list them! Thanks for reminding me. I never did like their FOs though. They were really weak and I haven't gone back to them in years. I use to get my MP125 from them and J50 when Astorlite made it. I haven't found one wax since that compares to the original J50 and I tried them all 4630, 4633. 4627.. Etc....I was really disappointed when they sold out :-(

IGI4636 is the new J50 - and Lonestar, Aztec and Bittercreek carry it.

I tried a 200lb tester of it from Bittercreek about a year ago and it is very comparable to when Astorlite made it. In fact in my testing (although limited with only 20lbs) it performed exactly the same. I was able to make 2 candles of every size container I made, using well known scents both tricky and easy to wick, and I liked my results. 

Now the fun part is when I'm out of my original J50 is finding the cheapest pallet price for the 4636. That will be a daunting task. I'm going to speak with Alan or someone from Peak and see if they can special order it for me. 

Actually I just looked it up and there are a lot of suppliers that carry it. I thought Candles and Supplies was one of them, but maybe not. Can't find it on their site, or on this list... 

https://www.google.com/search?q=IGI+4636&oq=IGI+4636&aqs=chrome..69i57.5792j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

They do carry the IGI 4633 (Astorlite J223) wax which was the original wax that J50 was designed after. J50 is actually a hybrid of J223. It was reformulated to be a one pour wax.

I always preferred the J223 over the J50 because it has a much better hot throw. The downside is you may have to do repours on larger container candles. But its a small price to pay for an awesome throwing wax!

They carry it but at the moment it is out of stock. CS carries both the J50 and the J223.

I hear you about the FOs at C&S. I find many that seem weak. But they also have some great throwers. Its pretty much like most other suppliers you will always have ones that throw well and others that are weak.

Edited by Candybee

I guess because J223 was my first wax I mastered it first before I tried others. I liked the J50 right away because I didn't have to do repours. But it just didn't throw as strong as the J223. But both do throw awesome! But the price these days for either! Ouch!!!

I think we all fall in love with the first wax we master. For me that was J50, and then I tried the J223 because I had heard so much about it at the time. And well, it just didn't do it for me. LOL 

I've been to candles and supplies...they go for quantity and not quality with their fo's. It's not worth the money for me to waste on finding a "hit".

There are way too many misses. I've experienced that since 2001 and their prices. Wow, can do better with other suppliers. jmo

Phew, glad I'm not the only that thinks candles and supplies fo's are weak.  I'm still fairly new to candlemaking, so.... 

They are only about 1/2 hour drive for me, so its convenient.  I was just there about 2 weeks ago to get tins, and checked out their fo's, and almost all I smelled were weak.  I did end up buying 4oz. of the VS for Men, though, and made candles.  I haven't burned them yet, but the cold thow is weak.  I'm hoping maybe its just me since I burn scented candles all the time.  I also wanted to get the Coolwaters one, but could hardly even smell it out of the bottle, and I even told the lady there I could hardly smell it. She seemed surprised, and said others said it worked great in candles, but of course I didn't expect her to say otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...