What is in your Melting Pot this weekend?

Guest OldGlory

I just finished putting some new FOs into wax. So far I've poured 4 different blends of Chai Tea, 2 blends of Zen, a blend of Red Currant, a straight Frasier Fir type and a straight Bamboo type - all new to me. This is all for my wholesale client. Hopefully they will pick up some new fragrances this year.

Well, I'm going to TRY and get the challenge soap made this weekend (even though the challenge is over I still want to do the soap) and also try my hand at the butterfly swirl made famous by Handmade in Florida just to see if I can come up with anything even remotely close. 

As for candles, I need to make up about 10-15 of my 16oz Apothocary jar candles just so I have them. My hairdresser wanted a couple and I had none, and no time to make them, so I'll make her up some this weekend and take them to her when they are finished. 

All this is contingent on when the rebuild in our house begins (most likely not until Monday, but the adjuster will be there this afternoon, so I'll know more then) 

That is all the plan anyway, we'll see what actually gets done. 

• Like 2

Well I was supposed to have a bunch of new fragrances shipped today so I could play but with the bad weather back east, it got delayed until Monday.   My Etsy shops have been super busy so I haven't had much breathing room to play with new stuff.   I'm finally mostly caught up so I thought I'd try some new recipes this weekend.  I got some new butter and new oil in the other day so I'm going to try some new body butter. :)  I also have a lot of products to take pictures of and add to my shop.

So, not really wax melting this weekend but that's what I'll hopefully be up to.  Right now I'm happy just sitting here on the couch. lol.

• Like 3

Re-working my soap recipes and making a list of supplies I need for spring. So, not making anything until I finish. This is typically the time of year I spend revamping my business; reviewing marketing strategies, revising recipes, and crunching the numbers looking for ways to save money and use up my inventory.

• Like 1

Stagnant turkey grease.....lol

I got my deep fryer and all I can say is they definitely used it- will be spending the weekend trying to clean it and then maybe just maybe sunday I will start on spring stuff- lilac, everyone wants grapefruit mango at the first hint of spring- yuck!

I would love to dive into the rest of my Fillmore samples and all the other 50!dozen I have left as well

• Like 2

i have nothing in the pot this weekend, but making plans for what scents I want to offer, what jars, what gifts etc

Well I was supposed to have a bunch of new fragrances shipped today so I could play but with the bad weather back east, it got delayed until Monday.   My Etsy shops have been super busy so I haven't had much breathing room to play with new stuff.   I'm finally mostly caught up so I thought I'd try some new recipes this weekend.  I got some new butter and new oil in the other day so I'm going to try some new body butter. :)  I also have a lot of products to take pictures of and add to my shop.

So, not really wax melting this weekend but that's what I'll hopefully be up to.  Right now I'm happy just sitting here on the couch. lol.

Great to hear you are so busy Suzy! Good for YOU! :) The rest of you are putting me to shame. :) I am not doing much of anything. Rethinking the scents I want to offer and making a plan. :) People are ready for Spring....people asking what I am going to offer already. YEA! :) 

Edited by puma52

Well, I'm going to TRY and get the challenge soap made this weekend (even though the challenge is over I still want to do the soap) and also try my hand at the butterfly swirl made famous by Handmade in Florida just to see if I can come up with anything even remotely close. 

As for candles, I need to make up about 10-15 of my 16oz Apothocary jar candles just so I have them. My hairdresser wanted a couple and I had none, and no time to make them, so I'll make her up some this weekend and take them to her when they are finished. 

All this is contingent on when the rebuild in our house begins (most likely not until Monday, but the adjuster will be there this afternoon, so I'll know more then) 

That is all the plan anyway, we'll see what actually gets done. 

Please share your attempt at the butterfly swirl...we want to see. So happy to hear about the house rebuild....it will be so nice for your family! :) 

• Like 1

i have nothing in the pot this weekend, but making plans for what scents I want to offer, what jars, what gifts etc

Great to hear you are so busy Suzy! Good for YOU! :) The rest of you are putting me to shame. :) I am not doing much of anything. Rethinking the scents I want to offer and making a plan. :) People are ready for Spring....people asking what I am going to offer already. YEA! :)

Thank you!!   I have been truly blessed this last year.  My businesses have grown so much in the last year.  I a lot of the fragrances I'm getting on Monday are nice spring scents. I'm ready too!

The whipped coffee butter body butter is done and setting up.  It smells SO good!

Well going for stink up floral with a pikake mix and then I'm really, really, really wanting to work on the orange blossom/jasmine combo. I need something for spring! Might even try a money fragrance ... it will all depend on how soon I get moving on my first Saturday of getting to be just home. 

Soaping, well there are a few combos I'd like to try, but alas, I might be overloading myself as I'm dealing with a pair of ear infections. 

Thank you!!   I have been truly blessed this last year.  My businesses have grown so much in the last year.  I a lot of the fragrances I'm getting on Monday are nice spring scents. I'm ready too!

The whipped coffee butter body butter is done and setting up.  It smells SO good!

You know, I have been reading that coffee is going to be a BIG scent this year. I love the smell of coffee! Yummm!! :) Soon ICS shall be getting a visit from me....I noticed they have a new coffee scent - Cafe Cubano !!:)

Well going for stink up floral with a pikake mix and then I'm really, really, really wanting to work on the orange blossom/jasmine combo. I need something for spring! Might even try a money fragrance ... it will all depend on how soon I get moving on my first Saturday of getting to be just home. 

Soaping, well there are a few combos I'd like to try, but alas, I might be overloading myself as I'm dealing with a pair of ear infections. 

Get better soon Scented! Those ear infections can be so painful!

I have been dipping beeswax candles this week, white, natural and an evergreen.  The color came out great, but when I set them to harden and came back the color was much darker than it started.  Ive made plenty of soy and paraffin pillars and votives and even paraffin dipped tapers and I've never had the color cure darker than I started with....maybe it's a beeswax thing!!  This is my first time coloring beeswax.

So, the big box of beeswax has arrived and I'm playing with color this weekend to come up with color ratios of what I want.  :)

Please share your attempt at the butterfly swirl...we want to see. So happy to hear about the house rebuild....it will be so nice for your family! :)

I will for sure. 

I actually have 2 soaps in mind for the "challenge" soap. It's a location theme (actually challenge ended today so I wasn't able to participate but still want to make the soap) I'm going to do a sunset snowy mountain theme for the "rocky mountains" of Colorado, And the next one I'm going to make (aka TRY to make) is the Colorado state flag. I've already got that one worked out and the hardest part of that one will be cutting it. 

Really not sure if I'm gonna get to them this weekend. This house is so trashed I really need to put some concentrated efforts into cleaning. LOL 

I have been dipping beeswax candles this week, white, natural and an evergreen.  The color came out great, but when I set them to harden and came back the color was much darker than it started.  Ive made plenty of soy and paraffin pillars and votives and even paraffin dipped tapers and I've never had the color cure darker than I started with....maybe it's a beeswax thing!!  This is my first time coloring beeswax.

So, the big box of beeswax has arrived and I'm playing with color this weekend to come up with color ratios of what I want.  :)

I love working with beeswax! I've never dipped it, Well, I guess maybe I have, but not into tapers. I make luminaries and dip balloons to get a bowl shape. 

Stagnant turkey grease.....lol

I got my deep fryer and all I can say is they definitely used it- will be spending the weekend trying to clean it and then maybe just maybe sunday I will start on spring stuff- lilac, everyone wants grapefruit mango at the first hint of spring- yuck!

I would love to dive into the rest of my Fillmore samples and all the other 50!dozen I have left as well

Good luck with getting the grease and turkey smell out of your fryer!

lol.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated- I dont think turkey and lilac will be a good mix!

LOL 

As Candybee said, after you clean it, it should be fine, but if it were me, my first batch of wax, I would probably melt into fire-starters just to be on the safe side, that way if there is lingering scent in that first batch, doesn't really matter, since it will be consumed in a campfire or fireplace anyway... 

Save yourself some money instead of putting your first batch of wax into fire starters. Go get a really cheap deep frying shortening probably cost you about $20.00. Fill it turn it on and let it sit for a bit than drain it out and clean it again. Let the shortening take the first residual smell out. After that, you should be good to go with your wax.

Edited by RMullen99

You know, I have been reading that coffee is going to be a BIG scent this year. I love the smell of coffee! Yummm!! :) Soon ICS shall be getting a visit from me....I noticed they have a new coffee scent - Cafe Cubano !! :)

I have been wanting to play with coffee butter for a long time and haven't because it's expensive. I finally ordered some and I LOVE it!  I added vanilla fragrance to it to tone down coffee.  It's awesome.    I love the Jamaican Vanilla Cafe fragrance from NG.  It has been selling really really well for me in my sugar scrubs.

• Like 1