Dog shampoo?

Jcandleattic

I never thought I would want to make a homemade dog soap, but the soap/shampoo I have for our pup is just not right - I don't like it, it's gritty, supposedly has a whitener in it but she is no whiter after her bath than before, and it just doesn't smell any good. I tried searching the files but am search stupid and can't find anything. Any suggestions on where I can research this and what oils I can/should use? 

When I try to google it, and basically it says to mix vinegar with Dawn dish detergent. That's really not what I'm looking for. 

I have a commercial shampoo we use, but it doesn't suds, it doesn't really get the pup clean, and I think the scent irritates her (she sneezes several times after getting out of the bath EVERY time no matter how well I rinse her - could be because she's cold/wet, or because of the scent. It's not overpowering, but I know dogs noses are more sensitive than ours are) 

TIA

Sigh. I have been working on a dog soap for the past year. I've been doing a lot of research to find out which oils are really the most safe, gentle, and comfortable on a dogs sensitive skin as theirs is more sensitive than ours.

Are you planning to make your own? If you have a castile soap on hand you can use that for now until you develop your own soap. I would pick one without any fragrance especially EOs in it. Let me tell you finding out dog safe EOs is not that easy. That is a huge part that is holding me up. I have narrowed them down but still hesitate on finalizing it.

• Like 2

I was planning on making my own and keeping it scent free since she sneezes so much with the one commercial shampoo I have now. 

I don't have a scent free castille.

I do have a lovespell 75% OO 25% CO but wasn't sure about the CO and am not to keen on using a scented bar at 5% FO on her. 

I looked at the Soaping 101 videos/recipes but it just doesn't seem right. 

Her recipe is 

25% Olive Oil

25% PKO (but listed as Palm)

25% CO

13.7% RBO

8.3% Castor 

A combo of Peppermint/Lemongrass/Eucalyptus EO's... 

I would skip the EO's of course, but as sensitive as dogs' skin is, I'm not sure if that high of a percentage of Coconut oil would be good either. Also on the recipe itself it lists the PKO as Palm but in her video she says Palm Kernal flakes. So that's confusing also. I don't use Palm but do have PKO, but also, another oil that doesn't really seem like it should be used on dogs, but I really just do not know and have no idea where to go to research or start. 

As I said, a google search was more than useless. :-/

CP soap is rough on dog fur and skin. pH aside, The superfat in soap contributes to residue that sticks to the hair and skin making it really difficult to completely rinse. What often ends up happening if it is not completely, thoroughly rinsed is the dog gets dirty wiicker and smells misty, not to mention s/he gets very itchy.

A very dilute, gentle surfactant, like DLS mild liquid or baby blend from some place like the herbarie, will do the job very well. You don't need much to wash a dog, especially since it needs to be rinsed so well. A teaspoon in a gallon of water is all it takes.

There is merit to the Dawn (minus the vinegar which serves so little purpose in this case). Dawn is SLS and SLeS with water and thickener. A drop of dawn in a gallon of water will gently clean without leaving residue. Most people just use way too much.

• Like 3

Oh and I should mention that I have no desire to sell dog soaps either, so whatever I make would be for our own pup(s) but it still has to be good, kwim? She is way to spoiled to use an inferior product. Another reason I'm looking into making my own. :) 

See, TallTayl, everything you said is why I've never had any inclination to make a dog soap. For one, like Candybee, I'm hesitant because I know dogs skin and the pH balance is different for them than for us, and their skin can get dry and irritated so much faster than ours, (hence not sure CO is a good choice!) and scents can be over irritating to them, etc., etc., ... 

I've also read that avocado oil is a big no-no for dogs, but on the Facebook groups it's one of the most recommended oils for a doggie soap. Makes me nervous and confused...  

I think I may just scrap the idea and either use the Dawn, or continue with the commercial brand we have. It's a "premium" shampoo specifically for her breed, but not sure I can really trust that, you know? 

My 3 little ones are pampered and one has some health issues so I watch carefully anything I use on or around them. One reacted terribly to my burning candles (my husband did as well) and that is what got me into wax melts. Both now have no issue with fragrances in the air but I do keep them to a minimum in other products.

I do not know if this helps even a little, but these are the ingredients in the shampoo that I currently use on them. It is this line's "puppy" formula:

Purified water, renewable coconut based cleansers, aloe vera, natural cherry essence, olive oil squalene (natural preservative). All ingredients are natural and 100% biodegradable.

Not being a soap maker, I do not know what renewable coconut based cleansers are but you likely do.

This is their description:

Naturally tearless and pH-balanced for puppies' sensitive skin, this luxurious shampoo contains only nature's finest blend of natural cleansers, aloe vera and a dash of baby-fresh, cherry essence. This shampoo will create a brilliant, show quality shine, rinse thoroughly and leave your pup smelling and feeling better than ever before. Will not wash off topical flea applications. Safe for all animals over 6 weeks. Soap free.

It also made me laugh as it stated tearless becasue "no one wants to see a puppy cry"....hahaha!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

See, TallTayl, everything you said is why I've never had any inclination to make a dog soap. For one, like Candybee, I'm hesitant because I know dogs skin and the pH balance is different for them than for us, and their skin can get dry and irritated so much faster than ours, (hence not sure CO is a good choice!) and scents can be over irritating to them, etc., etc., ... 

I've also read that avocado oil is a big no-no for dogs, but on the Facebook groups it's one of the most recommended oils for a doggie soap. Makes me nervous and confused...  

I think I may just scrap the idea and either use the Dawn, or continue with the commercial brand we have. It's a "premium" shampoo specifically for her breed, but not sure I can really trust that, you know? 

JC, it should NOT surprise you to see bad information on Facebook. Consider the questions we get on this board, from people who clearly have taken on more than they should. It is scary and you should be wary. Your instincts seem to be intact! LOL

JC, it should NOT surprise you to see bad information on Facebook. Consider the questions we get on this board, from people who clearly have taken on more than they should. It is scary and you should be wary. Your instincts seem to be intact! LOL

No, not surprising. More disappointing than anything because you are right, people not doing proper research and just parroting what they've heard as gospel. *sigh* 

Guest OldGlory

Well, that's part of the problem - the rest of the story is that people will take that information and do it - and potentially hurt someone or something. Thank goodness you know better.

My 3 little ones are pampered and one has some health issues so I watch carefully anything I use on or around them. One reacted terribly to my burning candles (my husband did as well) and that is what got me into wax melts. Both now have no issue with fragrances in the air but I do keep them to a minimum in other products.

I do not know if this helps even a little, but these are the ingredients in the shampoo that I currently use on them. It is this line's "puppy" formula:

Purified water, renewable coconut based cleansers, aloe vera, natural cherry essence, olive oil squalene (natural preservative). All ingredients are natural and 100% biodegradable.

Not being a soap maker, I do not know what renewable coconut based cleansers are but you likely do.

This is their description:

Naturally tearless and pH-balanced for puppies' sensitive skin, this luxurious shampoo contains only nature's finest blend of natural cleansers, aloe vera and a dash of baby-fresh, cherry essence. This shampoo will create a brilliant, show quality shine, rinse thoroughly and leave your pup smelling and feeling better than ever before. Will not wash off topical flea applications. Safe for all animals over 6 weeks. Soap free.

It also made me laugh as it stated tearless becasue "no one wants to see a puppy cry"....hahaha!

"Coconut based cleansers" is not even remotely an accurate way to label.... Nearly every surfactant (including SLS, SLeS, SLSA, SCI, cocobetaine, etc. -anything with lauryl in the INCI name) is a coconut based surfactant... Not all are "harsh" or stripping or any other bad word people associate with "bad" shampoos.

What that label suggests to me is they use SLS and/or SLeS and are afraid to write that on the label since people associate it with harsh. Yet people love how "gentle" Dawn is. Strange, isn't it?

Every commercial shampoo in our local stores contains SLS. Other proteins, conditioners, etc. help reduce potential irritancy of the cleanser, if that makes sense.

Personally, i like SCI the best combined with disodium cocoamphodiacetate for humans and pets. The combo works very well on my animals from horses to chickens to dogs. They are hard to find and can come with a steep learning curve.

The Herbarie carries a lot of gentle cleansers and proteins. The chemistry connection sells some nice surfactants too. Or, just buy a commercial one, dilute it very well and call it a day :)

• Like 1

For my lab who had horrible dry itchy skin I would make a shampoo with the base being essential wholesales baby shampoo- I would then add grapefruit seed extract- a Couple drops to an 8 ounce bottle and a couple drops lavender EO to the bottle

It helped his skin and never seemed to irritate him- but all dogs are different

I use this same base for the horses and add different EOs each time- they don't get bathed often- but it seemed to work better than any commercial shampoos out there, they wouldn't go bucking off and drop and roll right after their bath and the baby shampoo rinsed so much better

You could even just try commercial baby shampoo with lavender and health food stores carry grapefruit seed extract which is supposed to be good for sensitive skin and a good natural anti-fungal

Again I never had issues using this but every pet is different and could react

I chose only lavender with dogs as it's one of the safest EO's out there and I don't use much at all

Oh and I should mention that I have no desire to sell dog soaps either, so whatever I make would be for our own pup(s) but it still has to be good, kwim? She is way to spoiled to use an inferior product. Another reason I'm looking into making my own. :)

dont blame you there, having a few dogs myself, I'd like to come up with something.  I did find a recipe on the about .com site for "easy dog shampoo", but haven't decided if I want to try it or not.   Dawn dw detergent is too harsh, for ph reasons I'd think, BUT I have used it in a pinch for rescue strays that were flea infested, it gets rid of fleas immediately, but after that treatment I then give them a proper dose of flea meds, thats the only thing I've used dawn for.  Never would I use that on a dog on a regular basis.