Do you rename all or MOST of your scents?

tonyalc

Just out of curiousity what was she googling them for? What to find them at BBW or VS or what? I don't understand why she would need to google the names if she has you to make them for her.

I rename some. Not sure about a percent but probably around the 10-15% range. Mostly because I don't want to get a cease and desist letter from anyone.

I don't usually rename. I have a very small business. I basically sell to support my habit, lol. I generally rename if the FO name is wierd and I think my customers won't try it because of the name. Or, if the name is too close to something I already carry, even though the FOs smell different.

Is your cousin trying to find out where you get your supplies? Sounds like you may have competition soon.

I may be jumping to conclusions about why she's doing it but, she's asked me often times where I buy my wax, fragrances and molds. I'm thinking she's trying to duplicate my products and sell them cheaply at yard sales this Spring/Summer. She has asked this very question before and I told her she'd have to start with a beginners kit and tons of reading and testing before she even starts thinking about selling. I felt like I was being stolen from, mostly, for lack of a better word.

Thank you for everyones input. I currently do not rename any of my scents but am thinking of renaming some of them now.

I may be jumping to conclusions about why she's doing it but, she's asked me often times where I buy my wax, fragrances and molds. I'm thinking she's trying to duplicate my products and sell them cheaply at yard sales this Spring/Summer. She has asked this very question before and I told her she'd have to start with a beginners kit and tons of reading and testing before she even starts thinking about selling. I felt like I was being stolen from, mostly, for lack of a better word.

Thank you for everyones input. I currently do not rename any of my scents but am thinking of renaming some of them now.

I think you're probably right about her. People like that irk me.

And you're probably safe on certain FOs like Sugar Cookie and Apple Pie, because every supplier has one of those. If you have anything unique, I would think about renaming it unless your customers are already set on that name or you can't think of a better name, etc . . . Unless you don't care that she's horning in on your business. Besides, even if she does start to make candles, you have a much better product and customers you want to keep will remember that and come back to you. People looking for something dirt cheap (and untested) aren't necessarily the people you want to keep as customers anyway.

Angela is right - common names don't need to be renamed as they can be found anywhere. I also don't rename these because the simple names make it easier for people to imagine what it will smell like. You would only need to rename those scents which are unique to the supplier, which would make your job a lot easier.

Thank you everyone! That's what I was thinking, just renaming the uncommon ones and the ones that are unique to the supplier.

Here's one of her messages I recieved. :confused:

"I have been wanting to make and sell candles at Yard Sales. I also

have been thinking of getting dishrags and crocheting a hanger on them. What

do you think? I need something that I can make that doesn't cost much to

make."

I hope she doesn't think my gifts I gave her are cheaply made, LOL! I told her that candle-making certainly wasn't cheap. :laugh2: I'm in debt up to my eyeballs and am still testing scents, wax and jars.

You can't beat sense into people like that. She wants a quick way to make money and will never realize that candle-making isn't it. She'll be one of those people who will buy cheap wax, throw in some fragrance and whatever wick is laying on the counter at the moment and then sell it to the people who would buy a cheap candle at a yard-sale. I wouldn't give her any information other that what you already have done. You figured stuff out on your own and she can too.

Hey, I bet making those maxi-pad slippers and tampon christmas ornaments is cheaper than candles. Maybe she can do that instead, lol :laugh2:

LOL, she thinks making candles is going to be cheap! Man oh man is she in for a rude awakening. I would tell her to go with the slipper and ornament idea, but heck with the prices of Feminine products these days, she is probably better off with the dishrags/hanger idea.....LOL

That is so frustrating. We have had folks nearby try to duplicate our scents a time or two. I started renaming the obvious scents, so it is impossible to find where they came from. I found out this guy at a local show was writing down our scent list ----good luck buddy :)

I have no problem with competition, but I think they should get their product line going on their own merit and not from cheating and copying. I spent thousands of dollars testing before I came up with our line, I think they should have to do the same.

IT is worse when it is your own relative, geez.