Guest OldGlory

I use the Qtip method, but I put it in a PET bottle. Seems I bought more than I could ever use years ago when I thought I would be making more B&B stuff.

I wait 3 days for the scents to merge sufficiently, and then if I like it, I pull out the Qtips and start with grams of the fragrances in the same percentages/ratios... right in that bottle. That 'rests' for a week before I decide if I want to use it.

In my experience, you have to give the fragrances time to merge, so in this sense it is time consuming. But in the actual act of putting the ingredients together it is not time consuming.

Once you know what properties each fragrance will add to a blend it gets easier. For example, MacIntosh Apple is often used for its clean, crisp properties. You can add it to your fresh linens or clean cottons. But you can also add it to boost a blend that is a little too earthy. And when you add it, maybe it's 5-10%, just for that hint of clean and crisp. KWIM?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting and two questions that popped into my head was: if you have a blend that has 4-5 different scents combined, how do you know which note is which? How about when blending with blends? I've seen some scents where the final result was a mixture of 3 different blends, which of course, consists of God knows how many different notes. 

I personally don't care or figure out which note is which as long as the end result is something wonderful that behaves nice in my candles & soaps!   Pretty much all my customers wouldn't know what 'notes' are anyway.

• Like 1

Knowing your fragrances will help you distinguish the notes, but I'm pretty much like Chris. 

If I really get into it, I start lining up my test tubes and I will combine one scent at a time, not three or four at a time. I'll also line up another set of tubes where I'll put in oakmoss in one tube, amber in another, patch in another, mimosa in one etc. and if I find a combination that I like, I'll see what I think of it with these other notes. 

I was taught with EOs to take it one at a time, give the two EOs time to start dancing together and then if something more is needed, add it to the mix and give those three time to dance together etc.

I almost apply that to FOs. There just needs to be a mingling period. FOs are a bit easier, for me anyway, to have an idea of what scents will override others. For instance, take NG's chipotle salsa ... it's going to majorly override anything at 1:1, even at 2:1. Cornmint will do that in EOs too. Many of the mints might just do it, but basil and spearmint went together just fine for me once upon a time. 

I like to take a really successful fragrance like Creme Brulee for a base and then add small amounts of pumpkin, ginger, spices, other vanilla type fragrances, even florals can work. Patch and Rose are great bases to add just small amounts of almost anything for a little complexity. I tend to stay away from fos that identify themselves as being very complex, because most customers won't get that from a quick sniff. Amber is another great base to build on as well. HTH

Steve

I have come to realize over the years that when it comes to mixing scents for my candles the simpler the mix the better. Generally I don't use more than 2 FOs for each blend. More than that is the rare exception. I came to realize that I wasn't selling anymore of the complex blends but ended up with more unsold candles. Plus I was always running out of several FOs during the height of the candle season in the fall. So I narrowed down my scents and now keep them more simple. I also end up with a whole lot fewer unsold ones.

When it comes to my soap scents thats another story altogether. I do lots of blending and combinations of EOs and FOs. I guess one day I will end up simplifying those too. Its just that I have been making candles much longer than soap and have learned many more lessons with them. Makling soap and choosing scent blends is still in the 'honeymoon' stage for me!

Edited by Candybee