Sunflower Wax?

Has anyone ever tried sunflower wax in candles? Even in a blend?

I am sitting here looking at 25 kilos of it and am about to see what happens... It has a pretty high MP(74-77C), much higher than even Beeswax which I usually use, so thinking a blend is in my future.

• 4 years later...

On 5/13/2014 at 10:32 AM, TallTayl said:

Has anyone ever tried sunflower wax in candles? Even in a blend?

I am sitting here looking at 25 kilos of it and am about to see what happens... It has a pretty high MP(74-77C), much higher than even Beeswax which I usually use, so thinking a blend is in my future.

hey there, did you ever try the sunflower wax?  I'm thinking of ordering some from Natures Garden and using it in coconut wax.

57 minutes ago, PINKT said:

hey there, did you ever try the sunflower wax?  I'm thinking of ordering some from Natures Garden and using it in coconut wax.

I did. It is 100x harder to burn than yellow beeswax. The stuff I have is highly refined for cosmetics. @moonshine recently bought some from NG to try with coconut. At a very low % the coconut won’t burn, snuffing out wicks.

22 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

No, I’m interested in learning. Would you blend it with other waxes? What about rice bran wax? I don’t know much about either.

I have rice bran wax too (pretty much every botanical and cosmetic wax out there.) rice bran, according to tech documents and patents I’ve read, requires super low %, like 3% to gel an oil. I tried at 3% and it took several days to firm coconut 92. It stayed liquid for nearly a day, the. Slowly solidified.  When I burned it the wax melted back to liquid quickly, taking the sample long long long time to resolidify. 

Do go out and get some to test, though.  It’s worth the time and $ to learn the behavior of different materials. 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, NightLight said:

I use sunflower wax. It’s super hard. IMHO harder than carnauba. Go very small percentage, smaller than other waxes you maybe used to.

So your basically using sunflower with a coco 76 or 92 to make your own blend correct?