Aroma Bead Air Freshener Question

mystic sowles

Hi everyone, I have been making Aroma Bead Air Fresheners using Cookie cutters for my designs and the one question I have is how do you prevent or remove the "Excess" when you take it off the pan and leaves these sharp pointy spike looking tabs on the backside, or if it melts under the cookie cutter leaving what I call an "over flow" effect? I currently use a heated exact-o knife to remove the "over flow" but the cut looks horrible. I do heat the blade to get a smoother look but it's not as smooth as I would like it. As for the "Excess" on the back I place aluminum foil on a hot plate and push the Freshener down to

melt down the spikey tabs. Any other thoughts on how I can either prevent this from happening or fixing it when it does happen?

I have noticed that the cookie cutters get a little bent over time that they don't lay flat on the cookie sheet. I try to straighten them out so it helps that overflow (or under flow) problem a little. Before I put it in the oven I try to take a knife or something and push them back up under there to help too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have had to reshape my cutters as well.  The one I have the most problems with is my favorite one--A Coyote.  It seems to be a favorite among family and friends, yet it's the hardest one to get right.  I made some in early December and the scent from it is still going strong.  It's the longest I've had an air freshener last in my car.  Even Yankee or Gold Canyon haven't lasted this long.  The scents I made in December were Cranberry Relish, Balsam,  and New Car. I just did Ocean Breeze, Purple Hooters(Awesome scent) and I combined Jamaica Me Crazy and Monkey Farts which smells awesome as well.  My niece is loving that one.  

Really how much scent oil are you using?  Just make sure the scent oil is okay to use for aroma beads.  I'm researching the board type air freshener for summer use in cars.  I want to see how long they last and all the details in making them.  I was never impressed with the ones you buy on the market.  I have found the Cookie Cutter Company a good resource for Cutters.  Plus I watch Micheals and AC Moore.  I was able to get Halloween and Christmas sets for .99.  I wish I had bought more then one at the time.

I would love to do a swap, I have never done anything like that.