Low cost items you use to make candles

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot a couple:

I use toothpicks to drop dye into my pour pots.

Fingernail clippers to trim wicks.

Have any of you tried heating a knife or wire for cutting wax slabs? You can buy really expensive heated knives or wires, but I was thinking of having a candle going next to where I'm working, sticking the knife or wire in the flame, then seeing how much I could get cut before it has to be heated again in the flame.

Darbla

Well... I just thought i'd let you all know... I bout damn near burnt my house down today while reading this engrossing post! BUT it WAS all in the spirit of being resourceful as a matter of fact!

I was playing with tp and wax, lol (yeah , I know maybe I deserved it:rolleyes2 ) But since I had a double boiler going already from melting the wax for the tp I decided to try to remove a large amt of wax from a wickless that was in a jar that made it impossible to pop out even with freezing. So even though I had turned off the burner, I thought while the water bath was still hot I'd just melt it out. But then, it was too cool, didn't work. Sooooo- you KNOW I went and had to turn on the burner... then come in here and find something to do while the water got up to temp... And I found this thread.

This is the part I can just skip right? You think you all know what happened next, right? But wait... yeah the pan dried out, started to smoke, blah blah blah. I got to it in time, no 'BIG BIG' deal...

But then- the wickless jar fell over into the dry and very hot pan. <sigh> I opened everything I could, turned on every fan I could and went to the park for a few hours.

Thanks a lot peeps. It's all your fault. (and the lack of warning label on Ct that reads 'Warning: Do not attempt to read while your stove is on") :D

Just wanted to comment on the glassware and packaging. I personally do use the keepsake jars with flat lids and my labels are gorgeous if I do say so myself.

However, with that said. My brother ships out candles by the pallet. He has built a very sucessful candle company and ships most of his pallet's to Canada but he does ship all over the US. He does use the pretty urn jars which he orders direct from Anchor and Hocking. He FREAKED when he saw our labels. He said we were spending too much money on them with all the ink. He uses this little bitty one that in my opinion is fugly! He said that customers don't care what the labels look like. All they care about is that they are getting a candle that burns properly and smells up the house. :shocked2:

I'm not giving up my labels though....lol

Chantel

Chopstix to hold wicks, pantyhose to shine votives, long dollar store spoons to stir with, an large electric pancake griddle to keep the jars slightly warmed before pouring.

My tables are lined with foil, wax paper and then foil again all taped around the edges; I can clean with the heat gun and just wipe with a paper towel. If I tear the foil which doesnt' happen often, I just clean it and put on another layer and change it out once a year or so.

Bath towels are on the tables that hold cooling candles. They seem to help insulate and slow the cooling process slightly and avoid any cracking which I get when the temp is too cool.

Latex gloves so I don't ruin my nail polish (yep, I know but I pay too much to ruin the nails first day out) and a rubber palm gardening glove on my right hand to be able to pick up hot glass, pour pitcher, etc.

Large glass cutting board to use under jars that need touching up. Started this long ago in the kitchen when I burned a brown mark in the counter with the heat gun.

(points finger at blazerina): HAHAHAHAHA!!

Chantel, do you have a web site? You've got me curious to see your labels now.

lol. No I don't have a site. I will try to get some on here though in the next couple of days. I have been wanting too to get some reviews.

I am glad to see this thread again, have loved it from the start lol

Some of mine are low cost, some I took from my kitchen.

-Metal bbq skewer to poke holes in the wax in my turkey fryer before turning it on.

-Chopsticks for stirring. I also have one of those wisk type things that's flat and opens so you can grab things. It didnt work as well as my pampered chef wisk so it's now in my work room to also use to stir.

-I have a couple of forks I picked up from garage sales to use to fluff the dipped critters. Also found a cookie cooling rack at the same sale I use to set the critter on while it dries, with a cookie sheet I got from the dollar tree to catch any dripping wax.

-Doll stand to pose critter while drying, from Ben Franklin I think.

-For things I make that never leave the house, I am forever checking out the dollar stores. My husband even now walks through the glassware/candle section and says, "hey can't you...." and I say "yep, put it in the cart." lol

-Like someone else mentioned, I have a paper shredder and I use it to shred junk mail to use along with peanuts for packing.

-Probably not low cost, but I should own stock in wax paper and paper towel companies lol

• 5 months later...
I go through people's garbage to find cans for molds and pouring pots.

I get my wax from deli paper and the coating on turnips.

I process stearic acid from road kill.

I've developed a process to manufacture wicks from saved belly button lint.

I melt my wax in the sun with a magnifying glass.

I buy fragrance oil and dye with stolen credit cards.

OMG what you find during searches!!!! Another one to go in bookmarks for when I need to laugh! :laugh2:

Just how many turnips does it take to get enough to make a candle I wonder? And can this be done discreetly in store so you don't have to actually buy the turnips? :laugh2:

Oh and what do you use to prime your belly button lint wicks with Top? And will dryer lint do? :laugh2:

Just how many turnips does it take to get enough to make a candle I wonder? And can this be done discreetly in store so you don't have to actually buy the turnips? :laugh2:

Oh and what do you use to prime your belly button lint wicks with Top? And will dryer lint do? :laugh2:

Bring a potato peeler with you to the grocery store to discreetly peel the turnips while noone is looking.

Earwax to prime the belly button lint wicks...

:D:grin2:

I use those large sheets of paper that some places wrap your glasswares in when you buy em to cover my work surface and the floor under my presto... dunno about y'all but I hate when that tiny lil bit of wax from in the spout warms up and drips EVERYWHERE!!

I just started using all those disposable chopsticks as wick holders,

A silicon spatula that was just too hard to use for food to stir my wax,

baby food jars and votive jars that just would not cooperate and be nice candles to hold my repour wax.

The Glade candle jars to pour my final leftovers into. I let it cool then put in the freezer to get it to pop out, then use my cheapie 4/1$ paring knife to write the scent, type (pillar, container, votive, meltie), and weight.

I keep those bits in a different recycled ziplock and when I make my next batch, I look in the bag to see if there was any left from last time... usually chuck it in the PP between cooking my additives and addiing the scent.

but otherwise not too much new stuff...

I use clementine crates to put my jars in when I'm done testing for the day, so they're all in the same spot for me to trim the wicks again. I also use them for supplies in my supply closet.

Guest LightofDawn

I use the cheap wooden coffee stirrers and the cheap electrical alligator clips to secure and center wicks in my jars. Works perfect.

ETA: I also use plastic drinking straws cut in half to set my wick to the bottom of the container.

I use old coffee pots to pour with, no drips.

Small, white paper plates to put on scale which is in a big ziploc bag, also I put my pour pots on the paper plate, dye bottles, etc.

I use 1.oo shower curtains cut to size to cover my table.

I ha 2 old shoe cubbies that I took every other board out of and stacked on top of each other to hold FO's.

A shot glass to weigh small amount of FO and a juice glass for larger amounts

The rest already mentioned.