I need advice, can you help me?

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand the reason for the problem I am having. My candle is burning wonderfully with all the correct attributes, EXCEPT every few minutes the flame rapidly flickers. I call it a machine gun flicker. The flame is still standing straight up so it is not from air currents or a draft. Can the amount of FO cause this? Color? FO= Blue Spruce from CS? I have tried different wicks (HTP 126 in 464) made by different companies, even raw with my own priming, but it still does the same thing. Tried dropping the FO load down but it still does it. I’m at a loss and need some help. IF I only knew why a flame behaves in this manner I could work on fixing the problem. Thanks for any information you may provide. May all your candles burn perfect on the first test. This is as frustrating as my new windows 8.:sad2:

The only thing I can think of is that it really is in a draft, even though the flame is not 'bending' - even the slightest breeze can cause this - and by slightest, I mean, even just walking by it can cause enough of a draft to make the wick flicker. Either that or the wicks have somehow gotten wet, (which would be odd if all wicks tested are doing it) or there might be a little bit of moisture in the wax?

As long as you are using the correct % of FO to wax ratio for the wax you are using, that should not be the cause. If you are over-scenting, then it could be a possibility, but I don't think so.

I only wish when I started out I could have had a perfect burn on the first test!! Even now, almost 15 years later I still can't get it right on the first try every time. (most times I do though!)

HTH a little - maybe someone else will have a better answer...

I'm not sure that anyone will have the definitive answer but will will say that I use Blue Spruce and don't see that. One observation is that HTP 126 is a huge wick, you don't mention the diameter of the container say maybe it is a good choice. A lot of people use CD wicks with soy waxes. Though HTP and CD are similar in construction, I do notice a difference in side-by-side tests, the CDs work better.

The heat from the candle itself will produce drafts, even in the absence of any other drafts in the environment. Those drafts will result in transient interruptions of oxygen. Transient interruptions of oxygen flow will cause the flame to flicker.

I don't know if I have ever seen a candle that does not flicker to some degree. Is the flickering excessive?

The flickering will become more pronounced as the candle burns down into the container, where the presence of oxygen is more restricted.

Thanks so much for all the replies candlers. Perhaps I am trying to be a little too perfect. It’s just that the flicker, at least to me, does not seem to be caused by a draft. It is more like a very rapid sputter but only for a second or two and then back to a normal flame.

I think Alan might have given me the answer in the fact that transient interruptions of oxygen flow could be the cause. But I wonder if there is a way to prevent this? OH well, I’ll just keep trying.

Thanks again for all your advise. In return I would like to offer some advice for others. If you live where it’s warm, be thankful and don’t come to Michigan. We had 16 inches of snow the other night and it was down to 16 below actual. It was cold enough to freeze your candles.

Carry on.

That kind of flicker drives me up the wall and I call it sputtering. The one burning in my office moves but it does not flicker or sputter. Put the candle in a small room and cut off the ventilation. You should have a heavily fragranced room and the flame should be pretty stable but still moving. If you have that wild flicker thing going on, I would consider the wick/fo combination as the suspect. IMHO

Steve

• 2 months later...

Glad to see most candles flicker to a certain degree. I keep trying for a Non-Flickering candle. But then I decided fire flickers, so it has to be normal - as long as not excessive. So, if it's not constant I believe it's normal. However, I would love a flicker-free and mushroom-free candle. Mushrooms drive me crazy. I emailed my supplier asking what wicks they could suggest for me that do not mushroom and what I got back was this message: "All wicks are going to “curl” or “mushroom” or “flower”. No wick is self-trimming, but may fall off if left unattended, but we always recommend trimming all wicks to approximately ¼” before burning to minimize any smoke and to maximize the throw of the candle."