Feeling pretty down right now about throw in testers.

I think most of us have been through the ups and downs of candle making...lots of downs at first. Hang in there, you have been given some great

advice. The only thing I can add is if possible choose a wax supplier that is close by so shipping doesn't kill you. I decided from the beginning that I

loved flake wax and never turned back, just worked with many scents till I came upon 40 that worked. Now and I add scents each year (as suppliers close up and

I can no longer get my originals) and again everyone here is a HUGE help with that as well. I think most of us have days when we feel 40 yrs older than we are...I have weeks, lol! It's all good, we still get out of bed every day!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I did infact try again and added my fo at 185ish however I was not sure if I keep the wax on the heat source to add and mix the fo's or do I remove it? If I remove it it starts to go down pretty fast and has cooled to 160 by the time I am done mixing. if I leave it on the heat source I am fearful I will cook out all the fo....what do I do? lol

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I did infact try again and added my fo at 185ish however I was not sure if I keep the wax on the heat source to add and mix the fo's or do I remove it? If I remove it it starts to go down pretty fast and has cooled to 160 by the time I am done mixing. if I leave it on the heat source I am fearful I will cook out all the fo....what do I do? lol

Don't keep it on the heat when you add the fo it will burn some off. I do mine differently so I can tell you what I do but it may not help. I heat my wax in a presto pot. When it reaches between 180-190 (I use C3 wax) I heat my glass pour pot in the microwave till its nice and warm. I set the pour pot on the scale (I always have a silicon mat on my scale) and tare, add my fo and tare again, then I add my wax and weigh as I go...you get to the point where you come really close each time with wax weight. I stir until all the fo is mixed in and then just stir occasionally until wax is cloudy.

All I can say is thank you wonderful people. I heated and added at 185 and it worked. It is still a softer scent then I would like....but it is there. It is all paraffin and set for 24 hours and then tested. and I can smell it across my room. It is apple cinimom and I heard that is a hard scent to get strong...don't know if that is true. I am hoping it is. lol it is not weak or just sitting in one place so I am so happy. Life savers you all are.

See?? It is just process of addition and/or elimination. It can make you into a crazy person (you do not have to ask me how I know!) but once you find what really works for you, it gets even more fun. I am set on my wax blend and now just play with testing new FO's and blending those already in my lineup.

Now what you may wish to do (making the best even better) is play with percentages of the waxes you chose, if you are blending. I found a percentage of my two waxes that, for me, is ideal for throw and releasing cleanly from the cups into which I pour. In my case 5%-10% was a noticeable difference with me and my testers.

So glad that you are getting better results!

the odd thing is that the wax I am using now comes out of scent shot cups and mold amazingly but needs the skewer to release from the warmer after cooled...even when frozen. but yes it has made it more fun. just walking in to the room and smelling it made my whole Christmas. I know now I CAN DO THIS.

I have noticed a few people say they stir when it gets lumpy or cloudy and that they weight to pour til then too....wont that result in a lumpy product? my wax stays clear til it gets harder and then if you try to pour then you get lumpy tarts.

I can only reply for straight soy, it usually turns out best when I wait till it's cloudy. My guess would be that you can't do the same with paraffin? When I pour before then I end up with a dip in the center of the clamshell. Container candles don't matter to me because I almost always heat gun the tops.

I use Clarus 3022 (70% soy-30% paraffin) with cd wicks and 6-7 % fo load. The wax is measured into my pour pot and placed on an electic double burner on my bench and my temperature probe (oven thermometer with long silver cord) goes into the pour pot to monitor the temp. I take a container out of my toaster oven on the bench and wick it (I use 3m double sided squares cut into small squares to anchor the wick) and secure the wick with a wooden craft stick and clamp (cut the craft stick in half and drill a hole in the middle and use one of those black paper clamps) and place on the scale and tare out. After agitating for 2 minutes I pour the 185 degree mixture into the warmed jar and never overpour beyond the safe fill line. Then the jar goes into a large box and is cooled slowly over night. Wax and fragrance oil do not mix (you can see the oil in the wax) but rather you create a suspension. If you are using a heavy weight fo at large percentages, there is a good chance a lot of it winds up on the bottom. Start at 6% with heavy hitters like: cherry bomb, mulberry, peppermint, or a strong floral. Quality oils are worth the expense, you get what you pay for and candle making is no different. Pure soy is a difficult medium and it has never been good for me. I have been with my wax for a long time and no other has ever come close to my favorite, except for 85% 6006 and 15% 415. Pour that up at about 180 degrees into a clean cold container and let cool uncovered, using a cd wick with an fo load of 6-7% and you can light that sucker up the next day and get ct/ht with a good fo. The same for my 3022. HTH

Steve

Well I did heat it up to 180 and throw is amazing now....I am in love with everything I have made even soy has HT after just two days...A lot of HT. I have a 500 sqft room that is totally filled. but the wasxis still to soft to pop out even when frozen. I still have to freeze and then use a skewer and some times dig at it. I would just pour but I do not think customers will be to happy. I am doing another trial right now going up 5 % with a harder wax....again lol.

I take it back. It smells amazing. I was not getting throw yesterday so I turned it off. Decided to see if it was just my nose( I am getting over being sick) turned it on today and OMG it is So AMAZING!. so I am totally happy. I never would have gotten here without all of you. Thanks so much. You all ROCK!. now next question...have any of you noticed that Scent shots and clamshells help get stronger throw then chunks and other molded wax melts?