Feeling pretty down right now about throw in testers.

Technically I made melts but this is the same wax I am using in my candles too.It is more about the wax. So I had been using a different parasoy I mixed. I was waiting more then a month just to get them to have even a small or medium HT. I was not happy so I ordered 464, 4627,4630,4625 and have mixed small amounts as testers with these waxes. some are parasoy some are just paraffin. I was really impatient and had heard some people say "cure" time is not real or that paraffin without soy cures fast or has no cure time at all.....I thought maybe with this better wax I would try to test melt just one(I have three of each wax combo) of my strongest cold throw wax(about a 30 hour cure time give or take an hour). So bad. the scent did not leave a tiny 2 foot area and was very mild. it was a parasoy though so after three hours I decided to turn it off. I gave it some time left the house and came back to try a pure paraffin blend. It had a slightly better radius about 100sqft area was filled but it was a very mild scent. Slightly stronger then the last one. I knew it was a long shot to get a scent throw this early, but I really was hoping I would. I fear that I spent all that money on wax and none of them are going to be any better then what I was using and even though I am using wax that other people use and FO's that others use my stuff will always just suck because I am not doing something right. I know this is probably not true. at some point I will get it right but I am freaking out a little because I am a newly single mother with a toddler that has autism and I am feeling like I may have wasted a big chunk of our money for nothing. Now I know this is not a get rich quick business(I use to own my own business before and it was successful) and do not expect profit anytime soon. But I would like to know my products are quality and I have a chance to make it a life long business. ok vent over. sorry about that lol. I just needed to say that to someone that was not my family who would put me down for daring to do something that I enjoyed.

I think you'll do just fine. To me, no wax is a waste. You can always use it for something. Give yourself time & don't try to rush it. It'll come. You said you had a successful business before, so you know that all too well. Just enjoy the process & keep good notes as others have said - it really is true. If you really love this craft & it sounds like you do...it'll be worth it for you, even if it reverts back to a fun hobby like it has for many of us, for now.

awe, don't get discouraged. I know it's easier said then done at times. I've been at this since August and I'm still testing. You just have to keep in the back of your mind practice makes perfect. I keep telling myself this when I get a wax blend that isn't great. I have spent a good amount already but my husband keeps telling me gotta spend money to make money. He's been great support and keeps me from getting discouraged when I want to throw the towel in. Hang in there :)

Thanks. and you are right. if all else fails and I have to RTS everything a month before hand to have good HT then that is what I do lol. I think I just am impatient and want it all right now. I did the last wax for awhile I tried different formulation but just hated it. I know that the CT on the one parasoy is to die for and I think in time the HT will get there. Has anyone ever encountered the scent not leaving a small 2 or 3 foot area? Is this normal during cure time for some waxes? I tried to find the answer on the forum but can't find anything. I may just not be searching right though.

Michele I know you are right. I think part of it is I have never been on my own before. I went from living with my mother in high school to living with and taking care of my sick grandmother to living with my ex. Now I am totally alone and don't have anyone to talk out these feelings with. Not that my mother or ex were ever very supportive to start with lol. I know I can do this. Thanks for the support. Both of you. :)

Okay. Let's get all logical/practical (sorry, how I think!). You are using great waxes and from other posts, I believe great FO's. So, there is some process of elimination! YAY-see? You have made progress! So, let's think of the next variables (because as you have discovered, this wax jazz is nothing but the sum of a ridiculous number of variables!).

Here are some things I would ask you next:

• How hot are you getting your wax before adding FO?
  • What percentage of FO are you using?
  • How long are you stirring?
  • In what are you pouring-molds, cups, clams?
  • What type/style/wattage warmers are you using for test?
  • Have you had others test along with you?

I have thoughts, feelings and some experience (just a couple of years so not nearly as much as others here, but experience) on these things.

You got us! Whenever you feel you need support just post. I'll give you as much support as I can thru the computer. I know what it's like to feel like you have no one. Been there myself. Keep your head up and don't worry..you will have that fabulous wax blend soon :)

ok So I have been getting the wax to about 150 before I add oils. It gets hotter but I was told to cool it a bit before I add the oils or the scent will all go away. Also I use the 464 at about 60% and it has a working temp of 130 and the others are about 165 to 180 so I thought 150 was a good medium....is that the wrong way to do it? I have tried 8 10 and 12 percent FO"S I have never had any of my wax "sweat" so I don't think I am using to much FO and I am sure I am not using to little. IGI and GB both say that my main waxes can hold at least 10 if not 12 percent FO even though peak has it at less. if it does not leak back out could it still be to much? I stir for 3 minutes. I have silicon mold and scent shots( I hate them but they are popular). Also I have found that my stuff seems to get a better cold throw in the scent shots. pretty strong in just a few hours. and HT is better in just 3 weeks. and that could be one batch split in to molds and SS. I have a glade hotplate 20wt, a different hotplate 17wt, BHG wall plug 15wt and a BHG bulb warmer with cord I think 24 wt. Yes I have. My main room is almost 500sqft so if I want a true test in a normal living room I have my BF or my mother test. they both have had some hits and some misses. Also I have some that are two months old and with just half an ounce has scented up my master bath and bedroom(200sqft) for 3 or 4 days with good throw. but I keep the bedroom closed most of the time because of my son so the sent only has a small vent to contend with in the bathroom and not the whole house.

Well, I can share some of what I do. Worth a try! Everyone here has their own system. You will develop yours, too!

In my testing, using my system, an all paraffin blend tested best so as I no longer use soy in the blend, I am not in a position to make suggestions with soy. The paraffin melt blends that fared the best in testing-for me-were a blend of votive/pillar wax and a container wax. I heat the wax blend to 190 and add FO at 185. If I do not get the wax that hot, I get no scent throw. If I go hotter than 195-I think it does burn off some of the FO. I do use a higher FO load-as do you-than is recommended here. With my system, it just works for me. I would not go higher than 10%, myself.

To test my melts, I do test first myself but I also have a nice lineup of testers. I have been fortunate to engage a couple of testers (experienced makers) from here, a couple of heavy users from Facebook groups, a local former chandler and a youtube wax reviewer. I prefer not to use family and close friends as testers. The testers I use are VERY knowledgeable and objective. I make certain that some are using light bulb style warmers and some hotplates so that I have a range. Hot plates warmers will consume the scent in about 8 hours, light bulb warmers will not offer as instant a scent result but will last 24 hours.

I melt my first test melt a couple of days after making. I did make in silicone molds and have made in Ellipso cups for about a year. As others have suggested her, I keep GREAT notes.

I have made a very detailed tester review sheet(s) 4 pages long lol. I use those. I have people who want to test for my from FB groups and some are candle makers and some are devoted customers to our size wax makers. but I don't want to send them anything til it at least passes my fist stages of testing. as in finding two blends I like and see what others think. I want one para-soy and one strict paraffin(I know people with allergies). I was thinking of doing a scoopable at some point for now I want to focus on the others. I think maybe I am adding scent at to low a temp. your is much higher. I just thought with the soy being so low it needed a good middle. also I did test mine really soon. only 30hrs after pour.

I understand. I did not know if only you and 2 people close to you were testing. Again, I cannot help with knowing if soy should be heated that high. Others here will have to assist with that. Will you promote the two wax types differently? Will you do, say cups in one blend and shapes in another? I have only ever had 2 people ask me what kind of wax I use. That was at events.

On the PM you sent me, the answer is no. I do not send my wax for reviewing. She is a reviewer but I utilize her for testing only.

Karen, I believe I hate my family/testers! LOL! I either get no answers or off the wall ones. One melt lasts a whole month! They all smell the same, sugar cookie, that's my 82 year old mother.

Hi BBB, I hi-jacked your thread just a bit! sorry! :laugh2:

I understand. I did not know if only you and 2 people close to you were testing. Again, I cannot help with knowing if soy should be heated that high. Others here will have to assist with that. Will you promote the two wax types differently? Will you do, say cups in one blend and shapes in another? I have only ever had 2 people ask me what kind of wax I use. That was at events.

On the PM you sent me, the answer is no. I do not send my wax for reviewing. She is a reviewer but I utilize her for testing only.

Karen, I believe I hate my family/testers! LOL! I either get no answers or off the wall ones. One melt lasts a whole month! They all smell the same, sugar cookie, that's my 82 year old mother.

Hi BBB, I hi-jacked your thread just a bit! sorry! :laugh2:

HAHA!! Your mom! My mom (almost 81) is highly allergic to scent. Even flowers, so she is not into wax, obviously. She is a sweetheart but does complain that since I already "work outside of my home" that my wax making "interferes with time I should be dedicating to my husband". Since my real answers (like "This is not 1952, mom") upset her, I just do not talk about wax with her. I let testers from places like FB know that if they are not detailed and organized they are really not suitable to volunteer for my testing. I let them know that responses like "Thanks! They are all great" or "A was best" (when I was clear that each pairing is mixed up and A nor B is one consistent blend) are not helpful. I have plenty of other people to whom I can, and do, give free wax!

I don't mind Chandler the convo made me smile. Also made me wonder why I feel so old...there are 80 year old people out there. haha. I am not sure I will make it to 80 if how old I feel now is any indication. :)

My mom is 80, from the South and a force to be reckoned with! She drives, they live in their own home, bosses me (well all of us) around and is the glue that holds (okay, maybe forces) us together.

I understand how you feel. Well, I can only remember. I was a very young mom, was unexpectedly left/divorced when my son was just a few months old. I have worked full time, in a corporate setting "outside my home" (haha!) since I finished college and my son was 2. He is now 30. Now we are empty nesters, still working full time but have much more time to do what we want and when we want. I think I will never forget how tired I was during the early years! I was weary. I am in awe of moms like you with small children. It is a 24/7 demanding job like none other. To add to ALL OF THAT, now you cannot even get a slab of wax to be obedient! haha!

It gets better with time. It sounds like you have alot riding on your shoulders, take a deep breath, put on your big girl pants & fight! You can do it! Or make soap & candles anyway!

QUOTE=Bumblebeebabe;1020776]I don't mind Chandler the convo made me smile. Also made me wonder why I feel so old...there are 80 year old people out there. haha. I am not sure I will make it to 80 if how old I feel now is any indication. :)

Edited by ChandlerWicks

I am in awe of moms like you with small children. It is a 24/7 demanding job like none other. To add to ALL OF THAT, now you cannot even get a slab of wax to be obedient! haha!
I found this so funny. I had a heck of a time getting my stupid wax slabs cut down to size the other day when they came in. I had never worked with a slab before...and the 4625...omg that stuff is hard like resin hard. lol

I owe someone here a thank you (may have been Chandlewicks, I simply cannot remember) as they suggested using a chisel and hammer after I had trouble busting up the slabs outdoors. I got them on my next trip to Lowe's/Home Depot. I have the slabs in Rubbermaid bins. I put a wooden cutting board under each slab and I can bust up a case of wax in minutes. The chisel and hammer stay clean-and keep the wax clean-because they were new and not used on other stuff.

Nope, I was taking the slabs outside in a bag/pillowcase & dropping on sidewalk. Now after reading that thread, I bust up right in rubbermaid tub. A little slow sometimes.

I owe someone here a thank you (may have been Chandlewicks, I simply cannot remember) as they suggested using a chisel and hammer after I had trouble busting up the slabs outdoors. I got them on my next trip to Lowe's/Home Depot. I have the slabs in Rubbermaid bins. I put a wooden cutting board under each slab and I can bust up a case of wax in minutes. The chisel and hammer stay clean-and keep the wax clean-because they were new and not used on other stuff.
Edited by ChandlerWicks

Don't get discouraged! I was in your same situation - no hot throw and really bummed about it. I was also adding my FO in at around 150 and that was my problem. I use just soy wax and started heating to 190, cooling to ~185 and adding my FO. It made a huge difference in the HT! I would give that a try and see if you get better results. :)

i use gb 415..

when i first started making candles..i tried several types of waxes..tried blending..even used a blend with beeswax..and tried every wick out there..

In my experience, i found that, one fragrance may work well in one wax and not the other..it got to be so much trouble, i finally decided on one wax..that at that time was readily available

to me..so I started doing all my testing in GB 415..I have went thru dozens of 1 oz. testers (maybe even 100's) searching for fo's that meet my expectations…

Believe me you will be disappointed at times that all your testers..were not what you want..

In my wax..i heat to 175-180..pour in my fo. and mix for 3 min…to make sure it is well mixed..(i think this is important)..i pour into my container..when it starts getting little flecks, of soy starting to get slushy..and for good measure..i stir every once in a while, while i am waiting for it to cool down to pour..

Read the threads and posts here that have good feedback for your type of wax..Which fo's they use and throw well in a certain wax..

i know i have several post that i have said, what fo's have worked well for me..

The hardest type of scents for me to find, are fruit type…in my wax for some reason..I get terrible fuel smells..so I am always searching for good fruit scents..

good luck..on your candle making..i will say it is addicting..and i will also say..one thing will lead to another..you will want to make soap, lotions, ect. before long..

you have come to a good place to learn..

Like 8-GRAN-ONES said, trying different waxes was too much trouble for me too. I started with a blend that came in a slab (dont remember what it was) and then tried Ecosoya CB 135 in flakes. I loved how much easier it was to work with, and clean up, but felt like I should try some other kinds. I bought some samples and poured some but never even really finished burning them. For me, I needed one thing that was a constant or it was way too overwhelming. So I am sticking with the ecosoya and slowly learning all the tweaks I need to do to make a great candle. And I love this board - I have learned so much from everyone here!