Is this just shaved wax?

leisa2003

Actually this MIGHT be "granulated wax" that she purchased in bulk. I have a fair quantity of "granulated wax" that I bought from Candlewic on closeout. The colors and fragrances are fairly limited, and based on what I have purchased, are pretty weak throwing. I believe that the wax I have is either seconds or over-runs that CW produces for big users. I feel the "Sand Wax" type candles being marketed in some Wal-Mart's use CW's wax. The wax they make is produced by spraying wax that is already scented and dyed into rotating drums while under pressure.

I really feel this product has limited value and it's appeal to some customers would be mostly based on a gimmicky-type of marketing. I can actually imagine some customers finding it desirable to be able to spoon the "dust" into melters, perhaps mixing the fragrances to achieve their own custom blends. As most of us know, you do not need "sand wax" to accomplish this, however.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

I wonder If you can take granulated wax add scent and color in a bag mix it If it would come out the same. Would the wax take the color and scent I wonder how strong of a scent throw you would get doing it that way

The "Angel Dust" in the photo looks exactly like the wax I have in my stockroom that I bought from CW. I tried "enhancing" it without success. I just made a sticky, nasty mess. I wound up melting it and adding the appropriate FO to pick up the throw. I have then used it straight (enhanced) for votives and added IGI-4630 and poured it as clamshell melts and tarts. My impression was it is a typical votive/pillar blend wax. Nothing really special about it except in my case I was able to pick it up at about the cost of shipping.

I even bought some closeout granulated wax from CW that was a color changing wax. It went from a pale green to pink when heated if I remember correctly. It was mostly a curiosity to me. I didn't see much serious potential for it as a granulated wax in our shop. I still have some in stock. It was packaged for home crafters in plastic tubs under Candlewic's "Expressions" label.

Although I've never felt an urge to do it, I suppose it would be a simple yet messy proposal to make your own "wax crumbles" as PAgirl89 posted.

JMO/HTH

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I actually placed an order with this vendor back in Dec on a "Flash Sale" to try it out, just got notification it was being shipped (even tho it was a RTS sale) so when I receive it and try i out I can let you all know my opinion of it... =)

So do you like it? Was the throw decent? I am curious because I almost ordered from this vendor as well..but haven't decided whether I really wanted to spend the money or not just to get it and not throw. Just looking for review's first.

I have read wonderful things of this, and is why I placed an order (curousity) and IMO the throw was very weak...maybe it was the scents I purchased...I dont know, but I did purchase a few diff scents, I ended up selling what was left of my order. Now, I tried both ways, I 1st tried just using it by itself in my burner, and I also tried using it as a blender with other tarts I had, and when blended I only could smell the tart, not the "dust" I had bought. I hate to write anything against any vendor, and Im really not, Im just giving my honest opinion...I made the purchase as I was curious as many raved of this vendor....So...Im dont know what I am missing here? Im glad others love it so much...I wish I could say the same. The vendor is a very nice lady, and packed my order very well.

Interesting. I made this myself before out of curiosity, but haven't melted any yet. Still stored in the jar and did send a bit to testers that I was sending regular wax to test anyway. I was thinking though, the FO isn't really bonding to the wax to give it the throw which is why you add the FO at a certain temp. It is really just coating and soaking in the wax a little.

• 1 month later...