More Info on Wood Wicks

The originator of this nifty wick is Dayna Decker. Check out the website and the prices. A 6 oz. candle is $58 US. Yikessss. Marketing to the Rich and Famous I would say.

http://daynadecker.nespra.com/

Seems like she has Lumetique making them and a bunch of investors baking her. (see attached) Guess she did have a candle biz. :)

Success Story

Lumetique Inc.

Studio City, Calif., entrepreneur, and former fashion model DayNa Decker, started out, as most neophytes in capital-raising do, by enlisting investors mainly among people she knew. To lay the foundations for her candle-making company Lumetique Inc., she sold a 6% stake to 10 investors, mostly friends and family, beginning in 2001. Three years later, however, with her business plan still being finalized and in dire need of capital and professional help, Ms. Decker enlisted the services of TVA. Within 6 weeks, Lumetique had improved its businesses value proposition to the point that they were able to sell a 4% stake to an angel-capital firm, Angel Strategies LLC, Tustin, CA. There's a fine line between helping and meddling, says Ms. Decker, but so far her angel is helping.

Angel Strategies has helped her connect with other potential investors around the country, she says, and TVA has been right there at her side. She and a colleague meet regularly with TVA’s co-founder and Chairman, John Garcia, to hash out basic details about setting up a board of directors, seeking new capital and securing a public-relations firm. TVA has also offered input about which retailers can help sell the candles (preferably high-end department stores), who might buy the company further down the road (probably a strategic partner, like one of Lumetique's manufacturers in Asia or Europe), and how Lumetique should handle its patents.

The company is hoping to sell its first wood-trimmed, clean-burning candles for this holiday season, and Ms. Decker is forecasting revenue of $1.5 million next year. " (Wall Street Journal Nov. 29th, 2004)

Wow!!! Those are a little out of my price range... LOL!

But looking at the site everything except the 6 oz. are out of stock.

I am confused about the sculptures.. Are those oil lamps with the wooden wicks??? $210 for the sphere. But then it IS madagascar ebony. :)

Very elegent site and product presentation.. I am sure; her circle of friends, will buy these up like crazy.. definitely catering to the rich.

DaisyFairy

Lovely looking candles. The wooden wicks are truly beautiful, IMO. However, the website drives me absolutely batty. Too much going on. Distracts me.. and with that bar that moves across. Not for me. :undecided

Lovely looking candles. The wooden wicks are truly beautiful, IMO. However, the website drives me absolutely batty. Too much going on. Distracts me.. and with that bar that moves across. Not for me. :undecided

Indeed it is a really nice site, with the exception of to much movement. I have a buddy that specializes in wood and is looking into the type they are using. Will keep ya posted.

It all seems odd and "off-kilter" to me. New wicks,( or reintroduced, since Bruce has one from days past ) new company, new investors ( with searches for more) , NO STOCK....really bad for a new-ish company.( A year after the WSJ article was written)

She does have a beautiful product and presentation. Something just doesnt feel right.

I ordered some of the Wooden Wick candles from the OV site to see what they are all about. Will burn, dissect and review.:highfive:

It all seems odd and "off-kilter" to me. New wicks,( or reintroduced, since Bruce has one from days past ) new company, new investors ( with searches for more) , NO STOCK....really bad for a new-ish company.( A year after the WSJ article was written)

She does have a beautiful product and presentation. Something just doesnt feel right.

I ordered some of the Wooden Wick candles from the OV site to see what they are all about. Will burn, dissect and review.:highfive:

The "Out of Stock" states it will available in Spring 2006.

The Candles are in and burning. The jars that I thought I liked so much are so thin, I cracked one just unpacking them. :undecided The wooden lids "lay" on the container, they do not actually "fit". They are STRANGE wicks ( bamboo/reed or whatever they are ) to say the least. They SOUND more like a gas fireplace jet in a strong airconditioner draft than a flickering fireplace to me but I am going to withold any opinions on them until the third or forth burn. I wish Top had one to tell me what I am looking at:undecided The wick seems to be consuming itself for the most part after three hours. ( They recommend for best results a 3-4 hour burn). I am opting for 3.5. I do not have a full MP after 3.5, but very close.

These are very unique burning wicks.....I'll let ya know more as time goes by.

1. I got some cedar veneer and stuck it in my paraffin candle and it burned fine. Any wood will work, just have to make sure it's thin. It does crackle, but I think they put a mic. up to the candle and magnified it on their video clip. It doesn't sound that loud when burning.
  2. Would have to have wick tabs made for this type of wood wicking as the wood will fall over.
  3. Would have to clip off the burnt wood on the top of the wick as it doesn't really look appealling the next day.
  4. The melt pool does get acros the jar, but just concerned how wide and high the flame gets near the bottom of the jar.
    I think I'll stick to my wicks for the time being.

Ummmm, I think I found my SUGAR MAMA !!!! You can't tell me she made any of them candles though, not by looking at her. LOL Bruce

Aw thanks Bruce, hope you don't mind I looked a little "sloppy" that day I was still in my "candle pouring clothes". :laugh2::D;) Oh & in that one shot, you can kind of see my DH in the back, We were just sitting around casually enjoying our "summer Villa" when they came by.

Karen B

The wooden "wick" is attached to a metal tab much like the tabs on a regular wick. By the look of it, it has been made for these "wicks" to slide into and hold the wick erect. (however it is fairly small.....the width of the wick is actually wider than the tab)

I burned it for another 3.5 hours today. Great MP. After the burn, you just take your fingers and snap the blackened portion of the wick off, however there was not much that had to be "trimmed"...it is fairly self consuming.

I found the sound to be LOUD, celicagtca,...almost to the annoying point actually. And again, it sounds more like a gas jet with air escaping to me as it burns. It is kinda cool for awhile but than started to grate on my nerves because it is rather loud!

Regardless of how much...or how little "wick" you fire up, this puppy is

H O T...and SMOKES somewhat. I don't really mind that too much but I am sure it would bother some people because it IS noticeable. I, too, am concerned about this honking flame as it gets toward the bottom of this very thin jar.....and reaches the part that is more narrow. I will be watching them closely.

I like the burn with this "wick" but it IS hot...and the sound drives me NUTS!

I can see how some people might really like it though. It is different!

Michael

Interesting if not a "new" concept.

I don't like the $1.5 million dollar chick's website though..gave me a headache and I couldn't get into the shopping area as it kept redirecting me to the "collections". I can only imagine how much she spent on marketing and the photo session with that model. Jeez.

I still don't know what video you are talking about where you can hear what the wood wick sounds like.

I have some veneer in the basement I could try....hmmmmmm......LOL.

Hi everyone!

3rd burn....3.5 hours. Full MP and I have to say, excellent hot throw. I am burning the "Fireplace" scented candle ( which reminds me of the Diptyque candle in this fragrance I LOVE) and the "Sandalwood Clove" ( another excellent scent)

These were the only two scents they offer that I was interested in. Their selection ws very limited.

Same exact story with the wick today. It is burning very well with no challenges other than the smoke ( no matter how short the wick) and the crackling NOISE LOL.

I have to say that the good by far outweighs the bad for me, and I will reorder candles from them for gifts.( the same two scents) The wooden wick is a novel idea, works well, and is unique.

Because the jar is an hour glass shape. I will be watching very closly as the flame gets to the narrow portion on the jar.

• 8 months later...

I have to agree with Michael,

Here in Tennessee we have Cracker Barrel restaurants and if you have been in one, you know they have a fairly large store area where they sell all kinds of items.

On the candle display, they had Y-kee candles and Wooden Wick candles. From what I have read, WW candles purchased the right to use the wick developed/invented by this well to do lady. The Y-kee candles were not selling very well but the WW candles were moving. I purchased one large and one small. My experience is very similar to Michael's. If you like crackling sound, its there and pretty loud. The throw is good. My wick is about to the narrow of the container and I'm waiting to see what happens as the wick is a little off center. I might buy one again but I would let WW know that I would prefer a thicker glass container.

I tried balsa wood, no go. I tried wooden coffee stir sticks, much like popsicle sticks and they worked great, just no snap crackle pop.

I found another website making wooden wick candles from maple wood. Crying Creek candles. The 16oz Kerr jar was double wicked, the 8oz Kerr jar single wicked. Dangerous IMO. The 16 oz jar got sooo hot it would burn a blister if touched. When nearing the bottom of the jar, the wick fell over. It did not appear to be mounted to the bottom of the jar with any anchor unless it was hot glue and it melted too. For the time being, I would not order again from CCreek. It looks like to me the WW brand is the wooden wick candle of the moment. I would give them a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Just my opinion :-)

DT