Mixing Lye and KOH

Candybee

Carolyn-- you reminded me that I used some Tussah silk in the lye solution too. I'm using silk instead of clay.

I like your recipe too.

Mine is just my first try so I make tweak it more or even swap oils. Depends on how it works out.

You know I only wanted to make a simple shaving soap as just one part of my soap offerings. Turns out making shaving soap has been one I have worked the hardest at. I have been making shaving soap since last year but have thrown out those recipes. This one is taking me in a new direction and I want to get it right. I don't want a regular soap with clay in it. I want a real top notch professional shaving soap a wet shaver oficionado will appreciate.

I am with you on this. I have a stack of recipes that are shaving soap rejects. Fortunetly I don't throw all away. I just grate them up and add them into my extra scrubby mud bars, which is a great way to get rid of rejects.

Here's some photos of my shaving soap and the new B&B shaving brush. I like my pvc mold. I do need to check and see if the soaps will fit into a standard size mug. They look a little big. The diameter is 3". I am pleased that they are hard like a regular bar of soap. Haven't tried testing any yet. Want to wait a bit until they cured some.

post-3620-139458513315_thumb.jpg

The shaving brush is the newest edition of the Badger and Blade brush they are selling through West Coast Shaving. This month the color is purple. I love the cute little badger on the handle.

post-3620-13945851331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Candybee

Update. Here is the lather after one week's cure:

post-3620-139458513351_thumb.jpg

Not the best but getting there. I was mildly surprised by the results. Plus I have never 'loaded' a shave brush before so I am winging it. This was after about 30-45 seconds.

Guess I should give it a good cure before I start tweaking this recipe?!!

BTW-- the glycerin added after the cook is a nice additive. So is the aloe juice as my water. At some point I want to try adding pureed avocado.

BTW-- I brushed some on my face cause I wanted to experience the feel of it. I gotta say I am a little jealous of men that use it. After lathering up my face and rinsing it off my face felt sooooooooo nice and soooooooo soft. Felt just like newborn baby skin.

Edited by Candybee

Just a heads up that if you were to CP that lye combo you will get softer cream type soap. At least Babs mentioned to me thats what she got. Thats why I went with a 80/20% split for my CPHP. The 80/20 worked out perfect for a hard bar in CPHP.

My bars are very firm and the lather is looking promising.

Edited by cmzaha

Oh pics please!! I'd love to see them.

You used kokum in your recipe. I have never used it so I don't have any experience. Would you mind sharing what benefits/qualities it brings to soap? or to a shaving soap?

Did you end up HPing everything in one batch or did you split them into one for KOH and one for NAOH?

Edited by Candybee

Oh pics please!! I'd love to see them.

You used kokum in your recipe. I have never used it so I don't have any experience. Would you mind sharing what benefits/qualities it brings to soap? or to a shaving soap?

Did you end up HPing everything in one batch or did you split them into one for KOH and one for NAOH?

I did not hp, I cp'ed both lyes together. I used kokum butter to add some hardness and it is what I had for hard butter at this time. Kokum butter is supposed to add healing quality to products but who knows. I do not believe all I read and I purchased the kokum from a co-op because it has no noticable fragance to it such as raw coco butter. Been using it up in soap because I do not like the grainess of the kokum, even when tempered it still gets a little grainy

• 1 month later...

Looking good! I see the shaving cream is nice, thick, and creamy. Doesn't that make you feel good when you get the recipe right and see how the quality of the shaving cream dramatically changes?!

Just for comparison, heres a new batch I made with only KOH as my lye and CPHP'd in my crockpot. I tweaked my recipe too after a lot more research. Its the recipe I am sticking with for now. This is only 10-15 seconds of loading the brush. A small piece makes a bowl full of lather. More than enough to shave. If you compare to my earlier attempt you can see this one is far creamier and more stable.

post-3620-139458514278_thumb.jpg

I really do like my recipe and don't want to change this one except to turn it into a more creamy paste sort of like toothpaste. Right now the finished soap is the consistency of a pasty gel. Its okay as is and I can certainly put it in a jar but I just don't personally care for the consistency. I want it more like a thick creampaste.

I am thinking of maybe making it again and using Snow Drift Farm's cream soap calculator and adjust it to make a 'thicker' cream soap. I have never made cream soap so I am not sure this will work.

Or maybe I just need to add more liquid to the crockpot and SB it at the end. Or perhaps there is an additive that will help with a creamy consistency. If anyone has any ideas that can help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.