Christmas Tree scent

Karen M

I am still looking for that scent of a fresh cut tree, one like Heartfelt Candle Supply had called rocky mountain pine. I have been trying to get this FO duped, but so far it has not worked out.

I am looking for a fresh cut tree scent, no added aromas! And no ugly Pine Sol scent either, yuk!santa frow

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmm...I've heard good things about Peaks Frasier Fir. My personal favorite is from KY. WSP has a Frasier Fir that is a Thymes dupe (love that scent too). Evergreen aromas year round (as you said, no pinesol) are so relaxing - funny, I was just playing with blending one myself this weekend.

Guest OldGlory

I used to buy Frasier Fir from WSP, and if you put it right beside the Thymes candle it is very different. I think the Thymes candle has some spruce essential oil, or something similar. We burned it all the time in a store where I worked and it's a 'take no prisoners' fragrance!

People couldn't spend their $30 fast enough to buy that little candle!

I have love Aztec's Fresh Cut Christmas Tree. I use it in a blend for one client, and another client wants it on it's own. it's very good and throws both cold and hot.

I used to buy Frasier Fir from WSP, and if you put it right beside the Thymes candle it is very different. I think the Thymes candle has some spruce essential oil, or something similar. We burned it all the time in a store where I worked and it's a 'take no prisoners' fragrance!

People couldn't spend their $30 fast enough to buy that little candle!

I have love Aztec's Fresh Cut Christmas Tree. I use it in a blend for one client, and another client wants it on it's own. it's very good and throws both cold and hot.

I find that interesting, Old Glory. I used to buy both myself & they were pretty stinkin close to my sniffer. I remember that scent especially since I broke that brown glass bottle all over my kitchen floor & I smelled Frasier Fir for weeks.

I do appreciate though, it's all subjective. Ridiculous what folks will pay for that little thing from Thymes, agreed!

I am not sure how you plan to use it, but the greatest Christmas Tree scent that I have ever used is from Brambleberry. It is called Christmas Tree Cybilla Fragrance Oil. I have never smelled a bad Christmas Tree scent, but I prefer some over others. Brambleberry's Christmas Tree is the absolute best that I have ever used.

I love pine scents. I've tested a lot of pine FOs. I have a box filled with nothing but pine FOs--maybe 25 to 30 of them, from many different suppliers. Most of them aren't very good, IMHO, but I'm pretty picky. I like natural-smelling pine scents. If I catch a whiff of anything artificial, then it's a no-go for me.

I hated all the pine FOs from Peaks and Candle Science. They all smell pretty fake, and Peaks' Mountain Pine actually made me feel a bit nauseous. NG has one pine FO that smells pretty authentic, but it's very weak (I can't remember which one--Pine Plantation, maybe? Something like that). Avoid Sweetcakes, too. Both of the pine FOs that I tried from them had a strong floral element, like someone hosed down a fake pine tree with cheap perfume. Yuck.

Stuff I like:

All of WSP's pine scents are pretty good. Windsong Balsam is a sharp, turpentine-y sort of pine--not a Pine-Sol smell*, but not at all sweet. Frasier Fir is a rich, sweet-green scent that is very reminiscent of Thyme's, but a bit... greener. Santa's Tree Farm falls sort of in-between--warm and green but not quite as sweet as the Frasier, with a bit of a woody component. It's probably my favorite of the three, but it's also the weakest. It doesn't throw strongly, even in paraffin.

Lonestar's Pine is a very natural-smelling, sharp pine FO. A bit like Windsong Balsam, but it throws better. It's all pine--no added notes.

SOS has a ton of pine FOs, and they are very hit and miss, but their Christmas Pine is a big hit. This is a sweet pine, but not as soft (or weak) as WSP's Frasier Fir. It throws really well (in paraffin, at least). It apparently contains some real Siberian fir EO.

BCN's Sagegrass and Pinion leaf is also pretty nice, but it's not very pine-y. Heavy on the sage.

*(Pine-Sol, for what it's worth, is made from pine essential oil. People often complain about pine FOs that smell like Pine-Sol, but Pine-Sol is what pine EO actually smells like).

Edited by bsones

To me a Christmas Tree scent is a combination of evergreen and some wood notes; fir, fir needle, spruce, balsom, pine, eucalyptus, cedar, etc. Yes eucalyptus for that camphorous sap and open up your sinuses notes. If its simply a pine scent its not well rounded for me. I want my Christmas Tree scent to smell like I walked into a tree lot with a variety of evergreens for sale.

The one I have been using year after year is Christmas Tree from Fillmore Container. This is the one I use for candles. For soap, CP or M&P I use Rocky Mtn Pine (formerly Christmas Pines) from EBB. Both are strong and work in all waxes but I have a preference for each application.

Edited by Candybee

bsones, have you tried the wsp oils in soy?

Nope, just paraffin. I have some 6006 sitting around that I've been meaning to test, but I've never poured soy before.

bsones, nice post! Any chance you have tried Heartfelts Rocky Mountain Pine to compare to the ones you list above?

Nope, sorry--that's one that I haven't tried.

While I have tested many pines, I still cannot get rocky mountain pine from HF out of my head, it was IMO the best ever. To me it has to smell like a fresh cut tree at Christmas time. Not actual pine essential oil. I am still looking, sampling, and working on getting RMP (HF) duped, before it is all gone.

bsones are you talking about LS christmas tree oil, or do they have a straight pine?

Karen

Karen,

I just poured filmores christmas tree, and while there is a slight note difference next to HF's its the closest I have come across. I will burn it tomorrow and let you know. I have fingers crossed on this as I want to pour all my christmas trees soon.