What kind of candle is this..

Looks rather rustic to me. You can use any pillar wax. What additives would depend on the base wax. I use 4625 and being a blend, needs no additives, except UV. That's similar to how mine look. Some prefer more frost on them and use a straight paraffin with stearic added I think, though I'm not sure. Run a search here on rustic and you'll get all the info you'll need.

Thanks! I had looked at alot of Rustic pics and all the ones I found were layered and I couldn't really get a good look at the texture on them. What temps do you pour art? I was going to order some 4625 and play with it to see if I like how it turns out.

To my eye it resembles a "distressed" pillar. Eugenia was messing with that. You can make a plain pillar with wax and stearic, then use an implement of your choice to create a surface texture. In this case, I presume it was simply tossed into a rockslide.

OMG, LOL, you have such a way with words ;)

But I have to agree, it does look distressed. I've seen many done with a wire brush, but this has a more "dented" look to it.

COuld it be cold poured? more cold then warm..maybe whipped a bit. I am not sure what making a pillar with that kind of wax would be..I know ro get that kind of look in container....it's cooled wax that u whip..and pour in...thats all i can think of...it has an irregular texture thats why I thought of it...

just a thought

Tara

COuld it be cold poured? more cold then warm..maybe whipped a bit. I am not sure what making a pillar with that kind of wax would be..I know ro get that kind of look in container....it's cooled wax that u whip..and pour in...thats all i can think of...it has an irregular texture thats why I thought of it...

just a thought

Tara

Good observation. It does look like it could have been semi-congealed wax that was spooned in and banged down. Kind of like Candle Kitty's marble technique but maybe less heat gunning.

If I were gonna try to copy that, I'd get a piece of sandpaper like they use on a floor sander. Something like # 10 or # 6 grit. I think that rolling the candle accross that would give you the pitting. The frosted look can come from pouring a bit on the cool side.

Or this could just be coming out of a silicone mold.

I've made a lot of whipped candles and that's pretty close but mine never had those little pimples sticking out from the surface. they looked more like Kitty's marbles.
It may be an optical illusion. I see it as dented and pitted inwards rather than out.

I'm not thinking seriously whip the wax but just stir as it starts to congeal then spoon it in while whacking the mold down to compress. Maybe with just the right amount of heatgun you could smooth it but retain the clumpy look.

Hard to say if that dented finish comes mostly from the pouring technique or if it was distressed after demolding.

Kelley, where did you find the photo?

Top,

I bought the candle from a girl that makes them. She let someone I used to work with come into her shop and she told me that her molds are smooth on the inside so I really don't know how she does it. They are in fact pitted, there is nothing protruding from them and they have some frosting on them. That's why I thought that they were the rustics that everyone talks about. Maybe not.

This looks exactly like what my attempt at a rustic looked like my first few tries. Most of the "frosting" kept sticking to the inside of the mold, but the finish on my candle was pitted just like this. I used pillar wax, 1.5 lbs wax, 3 TBS steric, 2 oz fo, 1/4 tsp vybar (probably could have omited that, but I didn't want it to sweat) poured at 145 into a chilled mold. HTH

Kelley,

Like Top said and from what you just said...how your friend makes them in a smooth mold...U find your pillar wax...after it's melted..add scent..bring tempature down wayyy down you will see the wax filming over...when the wax films over You can mix it up with a wisk till it kinda looks like pudding..then pour into a room temp mold... the pitting you see is where there used to be air bubbles...you should use a metal mold to do these.. and you will probably need to put the mold into the freezer for a good relese...or look for some mold release from a supplier..

with different scents and colors you will have different things going on...and depending also if you let your wax get cool enough..but that is the type of pillar you were looking for....as you get frther into pillar making you will find..adding sterine will make your pillar look a little different, same with adding vybar, ect...

My suggestion to get this close..use a strait pillar wax..and try it like that first...then try adding stuff...

HTH...

Tara