Never Good Enough

gar1

So I've been making and selling tarts for almost a year now! They are not what I would like them to be and my customers say they are alright. my customers say they last about 8 hours but are not strong the whole 8 hours..as in they are strong a few hours medium a few hours and finish off light.

I use the KY 133 paraffin wax and use 1.5 oz per lb of wax.

I use FO from NG, RE,CCS and others.

I heat my wax to 180-185 add dye and FO and stir at least 2 mins or until the temp is around 175 then pour!

I can never smell my tarts anyway thinking its the air flow and possibly my warmer since the bowl seems to leak..but idk what else to do to improve them..any suggestions?

I have not tried another wax yet because I like the ease of use with KY granulated wax. If anyone knows of any other wax that is easy to use and may have better throw than KY I'd be willing to try it out! thanks!

Looks like if im going to go out on a limb and try other waxes i'll have to give up the easiness..I've read the horror stories on busting slabs..but I plan on ordering a few samples from peaks and trying other paraffin waxes and see how I like those; just afraid I won't be satisfied because i've been working with this wax for so long!

I agree, sounds like you need to try a different wax. I don't know of ones that are easier to use but I think my goal would be to find one that works instead of being easy. I use a mix of Ecosoya PB and xcel and get great results. I test mine to last at least 14 hours straight.

Good luck with your testing!

"Busting up slabs" isn't that difficult. I use the plastic that the individual slabs are purchased in. Even though I now buy cases, I have kept those tester bags. Just put the slab in a plastic bag and set one end on a firm surface, preferably cement and hold the other end up at an angle. Take a hammer and hit the center. Then repeat with the smaller pieces . It doesn't take much force and it is fun in my opinion.

For working with smaller amounts from slab pieces I just take one pour pot and fill with plain pieces. Then I melt that down to a liquid and put another pour pot onto my scale and pour the liquid wax amount that I want to work with into that pot. Then proceed with heating it to the right temp, add dye and Fo and continue. Working in this way I can pour a LOT of small amounts back to back. When you are working you just keep the plain wax on low heat and keep adding amounts to it to melt.

I tie a tag around the handle of the pour pot so I know what kind of wax it is. If I need that pot I pour that plain wax into a silicone loaf mold and let it set back up.

Granulated wax is easy to work with and measure, however if you just take the wax and melt it first, then measure it's just as easy and it's usually faster.

If you want an awesome throw and the ease of using granulated wax have you thought about trying a palm wax? It comes in granulated form, its lightweight, easy to scoop up, weigh, pour into a meltor, etc.

BTW-- paraffin slab wax isn't so bad. I used it for years. The pillar kind you can break up easy with a hammer. The container kind I could cut with a butcher knife.

Or-- you could try another soy blend for tarts. I used to use flaked soy for candles and tarts. Also easy to scoop up, weigh, pour into a meltor, etc.

This morning I ordered a sample slab of 4625 and one of 4794. Does anyone use these straight for their tarts? I have 25 lbs of 4627..a ton of KY 133 left and I think about 5 lbs of KY tart wax..I feel like i'll be the person that switches up waxes once a year unless I find the PERFECT one or combo.

Did not like 4625; 4794 is very good but I blend it with another wax to make it last longer. :-)

This morning I ordered a sample slab of 4625 and one of 4794. Does anyone use these straight for their tarts? I have 25 lbs of 4627..a ton of KY 133 left and I think about 5 lbs of KY tart wax..I feel like i'll be the person that switches up waxes once a year unless I find the PERFECT one or combo.

Try 50/50 4625/4627, makes a great tart.

Welcome to the wax testing MADNESS (sickness, whatever.)! People here have used each of these straight. Do not forget that Peak candle offers 2 pound samples. With my recent big order from them, I tossed in some 2 pound samples of palm wax so that I could test it for myself. That way you have enough to test without committing to the cost and shipping of slabs on waxes you may try and not wish to proceed.

I've always been a fan of KY133 myself (but I've only been doing this about a year too), mostly because of the same reason you are. I love the granules! But about three weeks ago, just to see if it was working like I wanted it to, I poured 4 different waxes with the same FO and had three people test to see which one was the strongest, longest lasting etc. Two people have reported back that KY133 fizzled out the fastest and wasn't as strong as the rest. I still have a verdict out for one of the testers. Of the two that have given their response, 4625 was the strongest and lasted the longest.

If I use clamshells, I mix 4625 or 4794 with 4630 or 6006, (can't decide which one to stick with) but if I'm using a silicone mold, I like to use straight 4625 or mix 4625 with 4794 because I can't stand the way the wax rubs off on the cello bags or the windows of the bakery bags. I really wish there was some way to keep that from happening when mixing a container wax with 4625.

Good luck with your wax testing! I'm not sure if it will ever end for me (sigh!). I've always had a hard time making my mind up about everything! LOL!