Toilet bombs

Darbla

I don't make bath bombs so I don't know: is this recipe below pretty much just bath bombs? Or is it heavy on one ingredient or the other that would make it not safe for skin? I'm not wanting to use this on skin at all, but just trying to establish if it's really any different than bath bombs and throw out the idea that we could be cleaning our toilets this way! I might use up some FO I have that I've complained smelled like urinal cake.....

http://www.mariasself.com/2013/08/diy-toilet-bombs-deodorize-kill.html

--1 1/3 cup Baking Soda - amazing for all-natural cleaning AND deodorizing!

--1/2 cup

Citric Acid-(low-strength acid that exists naturally in fruits like lemons & oranges) - used in many kitchen & bathroom cleaners for its cleaning, whitening & deodorizing properties

--30 drops Lavender Essential Oil***

--30 drops Peppermint Essential Oil***

--30 drops Lemon Essential Oil***

Edited by Darbla

• 1 month later...

OMG, little toilet bombs you could sell in cute little tubes, aimed towards new couples who are embarrassed of going to the bathroom with their significant other around would be sooooo awesome!! I know that's not the direction of this it's but I could totally see my 18 year old self wishing for one! LOL

OMG, little toilet bombs you could sell in cute little tubes, aimed towards new couples who are embarrassed of going to the bathroom with their significant other around would be sooooo awesome!! I know that's not the direction of this it's but I could totally see my 18 year old self wishing for one! LOL

The Soap Kitchen in Pasadena, CA sells "Nature Calls" which are eo drops to use in the toilet before and/or after use. They come in 6ml bottles so you can carry them with you.

Not at all trying to ruin anyone's parade but....totally not good for your septic system if you have one to be putting FO or EO into your septic system

We have a septic company and we love people like this that do this to their systems but believe me if your on the other end you will not love the cost of a new one! Lol

Not at all trying to ruin anyone's parade but....totally not good for your septic system if you have one to be putting FO or EO into your septic system We have a septic company and we love people like this that do this to their systems but believe me if your on the other end you will not love the cost of a new one! Lol

I can believe that my mom has a septic system and we are all very very careful what goes down it. They are expensive to replace. We have such bad plumbing at our house I run as little as possible even down our city system. I go to so many farmer markets I carry a small spray bottle of our room deodorizer and spray as I go in! I now have a couple of other vendors doing the same.

Thanks for the advice Moonshine. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what damage EO's and FO's do to septic systems? For those who choose to make and sell these types of items it would be good to be able to put a warning on their website with a little detail so the customer will know the seller knows what they're talking about.

My husband is the septic "expert" with a dozen certifications after his name and honestly when he talks about them...I trance out! Lol

But I did cause our field to fail way to premature for the system he put in here when we built- he went bigger than required by the county- and how I caused the destruction is I am a clean fanatic....using every cleaner out there- way more dish soap and laundry detergent than needed...etc and using more water than necessary- I am one of those when cooking the sink is on- I still hear about it and I am on "clean arrest" from here on out

From what I understand him telling me is this:

Everything you put down your drains or flush down your toilet goes into your septic tank- in that tank the toilet paper floats to the top and any grease that gets down there- the rest of the solids break down and settle to the bottom (sludge) which is important to have cleaned out every 2-3 years- there are millions of living microscopic anaerobic bugs that live in there that eat away at everything to help break things down- imagine dumping tons of chemicals down there- what is that going to do? Kill the live bugs needed to maintain a healthy environment within your tank- but the tank itself is not what causes a field to fail- when the tank gets to a certain level it flows through pipes into your septic field which is composed of peastone and sand- again all over the stones and within the sand are millions of live aerobic micro organisms eating away and they have to have oxygen to live- too much chemicals cause them to die off which in turn causes the flow to settle in between the stones and starts clogging it making it what they call a biomat thicker and thicker- when this happens you have a failed field- I killed all my bugs

We were able to do a process we offer - rejuvenation and we we basically broke up the biomat to let things flow and filter as usual and enabling the micro-organisms to live again but I still have our guys come check our tank level every couple weeks to be sure- my husband has no idea what bleach is until that crap comes backflowing into my house!

Using toilet bombs isn't going to kill your field right away and the likely hood of it being the sole reason is slim but some things you can't avoid using like soaps and cleaners...putting more stuff that is harmful down there can cause it to fail prematurely

On a side note- we recently had a customer that had everyone stumped - long story short he had a lot of medical conditions of which he was on a lot of medications....those medications in his system wrecked havoc on his septic system and it failed- very new field

I myself would never buy or use these knowing what I do and being married to who I am! Lol but I think a disclosure that people with septic systems use at your own discretion or something similar would be good...not even sure if it's necessary- I was just trying to pass along the information to people here on the board the damage it cause in the long run

Edited by moonshine

I don't like the idea of putting oils into my toilet bowl - they stick to the sides of the bowl, then other things stick to them. If you use oily bath bombs you know they leave a ring in your tub...

So if you ARE going to put scent in those puppies just use an itsy bit.

And yes, that recipe is heavy on baking soda compared to a bath bomb, but I don't think that matters one bit (just cheaper to make).