Lost My Touch I Give Up

I don't know why I have been having so much trouble tring to make votives and 2 oz tins. I think I have lost my touch. I give up I have tried soy wax, 50/50 wax and paraffin wax. I have tried many wicks and different FO's No matter what I do I cannot for the life of me get them to scent up even a very small room. :mad: I make them I let them sit at least a week and nothing nada No one in my house can smell them either. I quit not going to try any more. I guess I'm not meant to make good smelly candles. Well at least my melts smell good and strong. :cheesy2:

Guest OldGlory

I landed my best wholesale account with a 2 oz tin of BCNs Strawberry Jam in a soy wax - think it was KY402 at the time. I use Premier Wicks from Aztec in Knoxville, TN but was using a plain cotton wick at the time. I was only using that size tin for samples, but they said they would buy wholesale from me ONLY if they could buy the 2 oz tins along with the other sizes. I make no less than 2 lbs of wax at a time, and use a 6% FO load. The FOs I use rock in these tiny tins.

Are you adding the FO while the wax is hot? Do you have candlemakers nose? There's a reason it's not working for you. Don't give up!

I thought it was candle nose But I did the coffee grounds thing and leave the house and come back later. Someone told me I should try a cotton wick. Maybe I will try one more time Oh and that's great you got a wholesale account with your tins. :) I should be so lucky LOL

Actually I wouldn't let candlemaking frustrate you. It's a great learning experience. I don't know what wicks you have tried, but I would do a whopping wick test and see how that figures out along with, it seems an amount between what you have tried. It's looks to me like you know what isn't working, so work on tweaking it till you get something that does.

Thanks scented But I am really really frustrated. I have never had so many problems with these little buggers. I have been working for weeks tring to get the best HT from these candles and still can't get it. Right now I am switching to paraffin wax. Since soy and the para blends haven't worked for me. Does anyone know what would be a good wick starting for paraffin wax and a 2 ounce tin. I have never worked with it. But I am gonna try now. If this doesn't work I am going to give up on making these.

Guest OldGlory

You need to give a few of these bad girls to testers who don't burn a lot of candles in their home. They will be better judges. And make sure they put something under the tins to protect the surface below. They do get hot.

Square braids (#3/0 and #2/0 ... if you're frustrated, try a different wick than this and come back to this later), flat plys (18s as a starting point), LX 12-14 range, and zincs (44s) could be good starting points but like anything, some fragrances require one to up to three wick ups. HTPs and Cottons are what some have used too. Others may work too, but have you got any of these around?

Edited by Scented

I think you are not using enough FO. If my math serves, there are 28 grams per ounce; so, using a standard one ounce of FO per pound of wax, yields 1/8 ounce of FO for a 2 ounce container. Which yields 4 grams of FO. .3 grams that you used is less than a tenth of standard; .8 grams is a fifth. If my math is right. I rarely use grams.

I have used peaks, candle science, natures garden and just scent With no luck Unless I am doing something wrong I just don't know what it could be

Lets backtrack a little: your bio says you're in AZ - are you running the A/C? Do you have high ceilings? have you tried burning the candles in the bathroom (small enclosed space). I ask because I'm in Phx and if I run the A/C and have a pillar burning in the living room, the return duct (or whatever it's called) sucks up the scent as it rises but if I burn in the bathroom, I can smell the throw as it's sucked out of the bathroom into the hallway toward the return duct which is in the living room.

Lets backtrack a little: your bio says you're in AZ - are you running the A/C? Do you have high ceilings? have you tried burning the candles in the bathroom (small enclosed space). I ask because I'm in Phx and if I run the A/C and have a pillar burning in the living room, the return duct (or whatever it's called) sucks up the scent as it rises but if I burn in the bathroom, I can smell the throw as it's sucked out of the bathroom into the hallway toward the return duct which is in the living room.

I never thought of that. I will have to put it in a smaller room and see what happens. Thanks

David is on the right track, i think.

2 oz of wax is roughly 60 grams. 6% of 60 grams is 3.6 g of fragrance. .8grams of fragrance in 60 grams of wax is only about 1.5% fragrance load.

The oily top may be a factor of technique. Teensy tiny batch sizes are difficult to measure properly and hard to control temps to fully incorporate the scent.

Thanks so much everyone. Your advice has been so wonderful. I am going to start again using some of the tips from you guys. It is so nice to have someone to talk to when things get bad. I will let you all know how it goes when I am done testing.