1 T FO per pound soap too weak?

Darbla

I've read over and over in recipes calling for 1 tablespoon of FO per pound of melt & pour. I've found that too weak for every FO I've tried, and I'm wondering if any of the rest of you find that? Maybe sticking to 1 T is to keep the percentage down to the safest limit that you want on skin?

I've read over and over in recipes calling for 1 tablespoon of FO per pound of melt & pour. I've found that too weak for every FO I've tried, and I'm wondering if any of the rest of you find that? Maybe sticking to 1 T is to keep the percentage down to the safest limit that you want on skin?

Don't know if you're familiar with the Bramble Berry fragrance calculator; if you're not, here is the link. Hope it'll help:

http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragrance-Calculator.aspx

I'm pretty new to M&P too. After doing CP for years, it seems like the 1 T per pound of MP is working well for me. I opened a bunch of wrapped soap the other day to re-wrap it and it seemed the MP was more strongly scented than the CP, even though I use 1 oz ppo in CP.

I would be interested to know if it's safe to add more than 1 T. I asked a while back on some forum and it seemed no one used more than that.

I found most scents do well with 1 TBS pp of base. If the scent is weak try adding a little more. Some scents I need less. Just tweak it Darbla until you are happy. I have used as much as 1oz (2 TBS) pp of base but that is the exception for weaker scents.

Just pay special attention to any FO descriptions that give you skin safe % limits. Even soap safe oils like cinnamon and peppermint can irratate the skin if used over the recommended limit.

Yes-- there is a soap safe cinnamon FO. I buy mine from SGS for my CP. Its awesome.

Edited by Candybee

• 4 weeks later...

It's much better and much more precise to measure fragrance oil by weight rather than liquid volume (teaspoons). Measuring by teaspoons is inaccurate because different FO's have different liquid volumes. You're going to get inconsistent results with your soaps if you use teaspoon and tablespoon measurements.