What do you think?

lovemylabs

We've had repeated requests for a soap for problem skin/acne. We finally got around to making it. So we HP'd a three pound batch, added 2 oz Tea Tree EO, .5 oz lavender EO, 1 Tsp vitamin E...used no dye, no TD. I've used it on my face, but I don't have problem skin and am ready to give to a couple people for testing. But, I wanted to get y'alls input as to how effective you think it will be based on the eo's added.

Don't know what your soap recipe is, but just a FYI don't use shea or cocoa butter as it can make acne worse. My son is a carpenter and in the summer gets back acne from the heat. My CP soap with shea or cocoa butter made it much worse! Now for him I use olive & avocado oils, babassu & palm kernel oils with patchouli & lavender EO's with dead sea mud. Works like a charm to keep his acne gone!!

This may sound odd but I used to make an olive oil, coconut oil, lard, and castor oil soap and one of my customers told me it cleared up her sons acne. Didn't do anything special with the soap other that those 4 oils.

I am glad ChrisR gave us the info on the shea and cocoa butter. I have an acne soap I am working on and need to sub the shea out. I have OO, PKO, and Avocado, I guess I will order some Babassu. Am curious to try it but have been avoiding it. I am afraid I may fall in love with it but will have to limit using it because of the high price.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks for the input everybody. Our current recipe doesn't have Cocoa Butter, but does have Shea in it. We have a customer that has had a chronic skin issue for 40 years and uses our soap all the time and loves it. She won't use anything else. Go figure. But it could be we trade out the Shea with Mango Butter and add some clay. So does anyone have any advice on how much clay we should start with on a three pound batch. Oh...and if we are adding too much Tea Tree EO...what would you recommend we start with on our next batch?

I use neem oil and powder in my acne soap. BTW I do not call it acne soap... It also has pko (no Coconut) lard, grapeseed, sunflower, castor, olive, lavender jojoba no butters but lots of milks, fine oatmeal and clay with an eo blend. I have many customers that buy it regularly. I also sell a carrot soap and a tomato soap for troubled skin

I use neem oil and powder in my acne soap. BTW I do not call it acne soap... It also has pko (no Coconut) lard, grapeseed, sunflower, castor, olive, lavender jojoba no butters but lots of milks, fine oatmeal and clay with an eo blend. I have many customers that buy it regularly. I also sell a carrot soap and a tomato soap for troubled skin

Yep neem oil works great also & I use it around 18%. Some people think it stinks, but I actually really like the earthy scent. I use it in a face soap for me and it keeps my rosacea gone.

I forgot about Neem Oil!!! We have that on hand because I used it in a "paste" that I made for eczema. How could I forget that!? Anyway, it does take a little getting used to, but i agree...it's got that natural earthy smell. I may have to go back to the "drawing board". But does anyone else have a suggestion for the tea tree oil percentage on the 3 lb batch? Like I said, we added 2 oz along with .5 of Lavender. The only time we use TTO is in a blend for a Mechanics and Gardeners Soap. This would be the first time it would be the main EO

Tea Tree is quite strong. I tend to use it at 0.5 oz./ppo. If you are only going to use Tea Tree EO in a 3 lb. batch of soap then 1.5 ounces should be good, imo. If you want to add some lavender, you could do 1 ounce tea tree and 0.7 ounces of lavender. If you have Patchouli eo , you might consider it also in an acne bar.

I've been researching like crazy about acne soaps... I promised a friend it would be one of the first soaps I make.. That is, after I've practiced enough to feel confident enough to give soap away lol

Glad to see I had all of the ingredients and info written down on everything that's been mentioned on this thread.

I went through my notes and found other random bits of info.

ROSEWOOD - excellent for people with excessively oily skin. When applied topically it helps reduce sebum production thus limited breakouts associated with oily skin. Not recommended for those with very dry or sensitive skin. The strong drying properties of this oil make it an excellent spot treatment

CLOVE EO-The primary component of clove oil is eugenol, a molecule that is also found in nutmeg and cinnamon. Recent research has indicated that eugenol is highly toxic to P. acnes, the bacteria commonly involved in acne infections...( I would really test this one out and make sure it is properly diluted because..well, it's clove lol)

BERGAMOT- oil can be used with success to balance oily, acne-prone skin.. Bergamot's antiseptic action and ability to promote skin growth makes it perfect for treating acne......antibacterial and drying properties making it an ideal spot treatment for existing blemishes

Hazelnut oil -- Medium weight oil..It is said to penetrate the top layer of the skin slightly, being beneficial for oily or combinations skins and effective on acne. It is stimulating to the circulation and also has astringent properties

I've also read a lot on many people swearing by Thyme EO or thyme infused oils for acne. With the recommendations of dilution below 5% for skin.

I swear, with all the information I've crammed in my head lately..I know just enough to be dangerous lol

Why do you have jojoba in your acne soap? Jojoba is a wax and I wouldn't think that is good for the face.

Jojoba is expensive. I would save it for a leave-on product. Soap is a wash-off product so I would work with the more basic oils.

After some research I made an acne soap with tallow, olive, palm kernel, grapeseed, sunflower and castor. I left out the coconut and shea

as they can clog pores. I added lavender, patchouli, tea tree and peppermint EO. It's still curing so I won't know how it works for a few weeks

but I have a 16 year old son who will be my tester.

Jojoba is expensive. I would save it for a leave-on product. Soap is a wash-off product so I would work with the more basic oils.

After some research I made an acne soap with tallow, olive, palm kernel, grapeseed, sunflower and castor. I left out the coconut and shea

as they can clog pores. I added lavender, patchouli, tea tree and peppermint EO. It's still curing so I won't know how it works for a few weeks

I agree. I love Jojoba in my sugar scrubs b/c it stays on the skin which is why I wouldn't want it in a soap for my face.

I started using Baby Blue by Quasar for my sons acne. Works very well. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Quasar-Photorejuvenation-Therapy-Blue/dp/B002ZRQRFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359691702&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+blue+quasar

I need to correct my own post. Cocoa butter can clogs pores, not shea.