Fact Checking

JanetsCandles

Ok. I want to be sure my knowledge is correct. If you soap with rancid oils, no matter how they go through the saponification process, is it more likely to make the soap go rancid as well? Are there any other issues that could happen with using rancid oil?

No, just so everyone knows, I am not the owner of said rancid oils. But one of my friends has some that she suspects is rancid based on their smell and taste and wants to use it in soap instead of cooking with it. I have suggested that it isn't the best idea, to no avail. Am I wrong in my thoughts here?

From what I have read as long as you don't superfat you can soap rancid oils. I would test a 1lb batch and let it cure to see how well it does. I don't think I am wanting to soap with rancid oils as I can't stand the smell of them. I had some raspberry oil which is quite expensive but couldn't stomach the odor and threw it away.

Here is a link on it:

http://www.talksoapforum.com/cold-process-and-hot-process-discussion/question-about-steve's-honey-oatmeal-soap-recipe/?prev_next=prev

She got some coconut oil. She also has said that the color looks alright, but the smell and taste is horribly horribly off. I started getting some misgivings on it when she told me that, but she also mentioned that she used it in cooking. The taste is described by her as "melted crayons / chemically type smell." That has me a bit concerned. It sounds almost as if the coconut oil has had something done to it that isn't normal. She's tried the brand before and hasn't had problems with it until now. Same with other brands.

I hope that your friend has no intention of selling these soaps made with rancid oils or even giving them to anyone. It may be perfectly harmless, but how gross is that? You are not wrong at all for telling your friend not to do this.

Edited by Noodle

I hope that your friend has no intention of selling these soaps made with rancid oils or even giving them to anyone. It may be perfectly harmless, but how gross is that? You are not wrong at all for telling your friend not to do this.

That was actually one of my concerns. A big one as a matter of fact. She has acted jealous in the past about some of my soaps and said that she needs to get back into doing them. She hasn't directly said that she plans to sell them, but it's just one of those hunches I got from the way she was talking.

Maybe suggest that the off oils would be useful for making laundry soap for personal home use to get her soaping groove back.

Once she's back in the swing, buy fresh oils to make soap for gifts.

This will, if nothing else, buy time. She can watch how some soap ages for herself. That may be enough.

If not, and she begins a business with sub-par soap, then her business won't last very long, will it? One way or another she will learn a lesson for herself, which is far more effective than others advising what may or may not work.