Essential oils vs fragrance oils

Guest RiverflowCandles

Guest RiverflowCandles

Which is better for cold pressed soaps? I found a BBW type fragrance oil that I love from BB. Will it last in my soap?

Thanks

Guest OldGlory

Which is better is largely subjective. When you say better, what do you mean? Do you mean better smelling? Do you mean more pure? Which EOs and which FOs are you referring to? What recipe do you use for CP?

Some EO's don't hold in CP, some FO's don't hold in CP. Some essential oils aren't all that pleasant smelling - which I think you'll also find in fragrance oils.

We really need more specific information to answer you correctly. Even then, if nobody has actually tried a specific fragrance oil in your same CP recipe, we won't know if it will hold.

BTW, I love Dahlonega! It's been years since I was there, but it's very pretty.

Guest RiverflowCandles

. Eucalyptus and Spearmint

My recipe

Olive oil (26.5 ounces)

Coconut oil (16.5 ounces)

Palm oil (10 ounces)

Lye (209 grams)

essential oils 2.7 ounces

Distilled water (20 ounce

Guest OldGlory

So you are going to use a combined weight of 2.7 oz of two essential oils: eucalyptus and spearmint in a 3.25 lb batch?

I have not used either of those EOs in soap, so I can't give you firsthand information. However, I generally use half as much EO as FO in soaps, depending on the particular EO. Mints are usually extremely strong and can overpower anything else you add.

Wait a bit and get some other feedback.

Do you insulate your soap while it's in the mold?

I was wondering the same thing about the flavor oil.

Flavor oils that I use have a safflower base and are all natural. I have used several flavors but the only prob is you don't get BBW scents if that is what you want. I find that the flavor oils work great b/c they don't seize in soap that I have experienced yet and they are skin safe. I made a yummy batch of cinnamon soap using flavor oil and it smells great. I had avoided using the essential oil and could never find a skin safe cinnamon fragrance oil I liked. Certain ones do turn your soap brown but thats not so bad really.

Here is my cinnamon soap.

16172_4657016377685_1787249255_n_zpsb45b44f5.jpg

I use both frangrance oils and essential oils. However, when you speak about allergies, more people are allergic to eos than fos. I do like all natural when possible, however think about natural poison ivy and other poisoned plants. They are natural, too. Please read about eos before using them. Many should not be used if you are going to be in the sun. Some are very irritable to skin. Just be cautious. Include warnings on your products. Always list ingredients.

Flavor oils that I use have a safflower base and are all natural. I have used several flavors but the only prob is you don't get BBW scents if that is what you want. I find that the flavor oils work great b/c they don't seize in soap that I have experienced yet and they are skin safe. I made a yummy batch of cinnamon soap using flavor oil and it smells great. I had avoided using the essential oil and could never find a skin safe cinnamon fragrance oil I liked. Certain ones do turn your soap brown but thats not so bad really.

Here is my cinnamon soap.

This sounds lovely how much do you use per lb is it the same as fo's?

I use 1oz per pound but I like lots of scent. I figure in the flavor oils with my oil recipe since it is safflower based.

I agree, EO's are toxic and irritating to some people as well as fragrance oils which is why flavor oils are nice. The base oil is not nut based so those with nut allergies can use them. You can put these in lotion too. So, if you have a nut free lotion base you can add these oils to keep it all "nut free" and natural. They are so versatile they are all you need for lotions, soap, scrubs, lip balms and more.

Guest OldGlory
Thanks. The company say's it a 5 lb batch...hmmm

The company that gave you the recipe and I are using different criteria. I was taught that you add up the fats in your recipe to get the size of the batch, and that is what you base your EOs or FOs on. The water is going to evaporate.

I use both FOs and EOs although I lean more towards EOs. They behave better for me and I find I prefer them in my soaps. I only use a max of .5oz EO per pound of soaping oils. Many EOs can be irritating to the skin and need to be utilized sparingly. EOs like clove, cinniman, or ginger I only use a max of 1ml ppo.

Perfumery and fragrance blending is a big part of my craft and I often combine the two.

For spearmint and eucalyptus I would blend them in a 1:1 ratio. No more than .25oz spearmint ppo. Mints can me irritating especially in the face and genital area when used in too high an amount.

The major downside to eo's are the fact that the prices seem to be creeping up lately. Who knows when there will be a shortage and the scents you rely will no longer be available or affordable. Remember what happened with JoJoba. I personally don't think eo's hold up in soap or at least they don't for me, they fade quickly and I don't like spending $$$ on things that will end up being unscented or faint. jmo

I've only used flavor oil (lemon extract) in M&P. Never thought about using in CP. Or are flavor oils and extracts different? I'm talking about the same lemon extract you use in cake and cookie recipes like vanilla I get at the local store.

BTW-- I have "Cinnamon" FO from SGS. I used it in my CP soap at 1 oz pp of oils. It is supposed to be skin safe. Thats why I bought it. The soap is curing so I will know more later after I tried a bar. But so far it smells just heavenly! The cinnamon is sticking so far and it smells better everyday. Thats usually a good sign.

Thanks! Where do you get yours that are natural? I love using eo's in soap but would love to change it up a bit.

I get mine from Texas Natural Supply http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/category-s/1888.htm

I have compared the Lavender flavor/scent to the real Lavender essential oil and they are dead on, so is the spearmint and ginger and ylang ylang...oh and the jasmine is great too.

Also, flavor oils can ship via USPS and don't have to go FedEx or UPS like eo's. Helps with keeping down the cost.

I've only used flavor oil (lemon extract) in M&P. Never thought about using in CP. Or are flavor oils and extracts different? I'm talking about the same lemon extract you use in cake and cookie recipes like vanilla I get at the local store.

Extracts are made with alcohol and tend to burn off so the scent doesn't really work in cp or hp. Flavor oils are made with oils. Hope that helps :)