I can't believe I said that to a customer...and more stupid questions...lol

JI

Had a great local arts/craft show this weekend.

I sell a 17 oz double wicked apothecary jar for $15.99. No one has ever complained about my prices until now...

Customer asks about priceof this large candle. He tells me he'll offer me $5 for this big jar. I had made so many sales that day and was so disgusted with him. I actually said "Do I look Chinese"? I realize that's a horrible thing to say, and my lovely sister in law is Chinese. But this is ridiculous to low ball me. The only time I ever had someone negotiate with me is when they bought 12 large candles and I gave them 10% off their final order because it was bulk! He just looked at me in confusion and walked away.

Also the soy massage people were out. Lady asked me if she can use the hot wax for massage. I said absolutely NOT. She argued with me and told me that it would be absolutely fine. I said that massage candles had a higher percentage of oils/lotion type ingredients and that my candles were just the soy chips with fragrance. She still insisted that any soy wax is suitable for massage. She also proceeded to tell me that it is not necessary to even melt wax when making regular candles. She said you can just put the flaked chips in any container, stick a wick in and light!!! Voila for the perfect candle!

Just shoot me.

Edited by JI

Ok, so maybe you should have said: go to Walmart...but some customers are just horrible.

I make lotion candles and there is almost no wax in them, you're right it is 98% oil and butters. I also use way less fragrance than in my soy candles, I do not add any color and of course not all fragrance oils are safe to use on skin.

She said you can just put the flaked chips in any container, stick a wick in and light!!! Voila for the perfect candle!

Is that all it takes?? Gee, maybe I shouldn't have given up on making candles. :)

I have to admit when I first started I didn't fully realize the amount of work that it takes to make a good, safe, consistent candle. I have a deep appreciation and admiration for those of you who have conquered the wax, wick, FO conundrum. I'll just stick with melts, soap and B&B, I like the hair on my head.

She obviously thought she knew your craft better than you. Can't cure stupid.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I get this all the time with Xmas trees- we took over my husbands grandfathers tree business and he always preached to family he would rather burn them then make a deal- once you make a deal they always expect it and wait until th end of the season to get that deal

Well we had to move the tree lot to our commercial property because the farm sold and we get all kinds of crazys every year.... Once when I asked if I would take 20 for 95 dollar tree I blurted out- why don't you turn around and go hit that crack pipe some more or better yet go to Home depot or Walmart and see and how far your offer gets you

Not my proudest moment but I can relate to what you blurted- sometimes it just comes out before you think ....

I am now reminded to watch my tongue every year and simply say the price is what is on the tag- no negotiation

And his old time farmer philosophy made him pretty much a millionaire and hundreds of faithful customers - but the economy nowadays isnt so forgiving so we can't always follow his standards anymore

Edited by moonshine

Well I know this is OT but with Shine's and your story I had to tell my own!

I was a waitress in Gatlinburg and we were SO freaking busy but I'm dang good at my job ( or was when I could do it ) so my customer's never suffered at all.

The kitchen didn't like me sometimes because I'd crawl their butts if they screwed me up.

One night , 4 people came in , 1 check. Bill was around 120.00.

They left a 5.00 on the table and left , all the while praising my service, how they'd love to come back and have me again as theirs...........

I saw that five'er , looked at Cookie ( my manager ) and said " I love you, but I'll be right back .. that is if you let me in " ...

I walked out behind them, caught up with them, tagged the guy on the arm and said, " Excuse me sir, but you forgot something"

He turned around, stuck his hand out automatically and I shoved that $5 back in it.

" I think you need this a hell of a lot more than I do."

I turned around and walked off.. went in... my entire wait staff ( I was head waitress ) applauded , and Cookie had me a beer ready when I clocked out that night LOL

Jackasses.

Well I know this is OT but with Shine's and your story I had to tell my own!

I was a waitress in Gatlinburg and we were SO freaking busy but I'm dang good at my job ( or was when I could do it ) so my customer's never suffered at all.

The kitchen didn't like me sometimes because I'd crawl their butts if they screwed me up.

One night , 4 people came in , 1 check. Bill was around 120.00.

They left a 5.00 on the table and left , all the while praising my service, how they'd love to come back and have me again as theirs...........

I saw that five'er , looked at Cookie ( my manager ) and said " I love you, but I'll be right back .. that is if you let me in " ...

I walked out behind them, caught up with them, tagged the guy on the arm and said, " Excuse me sir, but you forgot something"

He turned around, stuck his hand out automatically and I shoved that $5 back in it.

" I think you need this a hell of a lot more than I do."

I turned around and walked off.. went in... my entire wait staff ( I was head waitress ) applauded , and Cookie had me a beer ready when I clocked out that night LOL

Jackasses.

Bwahahahahahhaaaaa!!! Good one!

That is just so terrible of that customer, blacktie! Were they embarrassed I hope? My husband used to work in th restaurant business years ago which is why we have always been really good tippers - even with subpar service...waitstaff have one of the hardest and kost thankless jobs in the world...maybe along with teaching as a second runner up!

I honestly think that the three other people were more embarrassed than he was, although he did have a rather contrite look on his face when I shoved it back at him.

That is why, no matter if someone I'm with, says that they are leaving the tip, I also leave a tip based on the service I got ( or more ) because trust me, this sort of thing happens all the time. Party of 4, one says they are paying for everything, they do, and leave a shitty tip because the bill was higher since they were paying for it by themselves.

When it comes to dealing with the public, it's "keep it simple, stupid". There is always someone you talk to that asks the dumbest question regarding the product you are selling. There are people out there with zero common sense and those are the ones to watch out for. Always put warning labels, ingredient labels, and whatever else you need to do, to keep it simple for people, cause you just don't know who is buying and using the products you sell. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and say "here's your sign." LOL