Mottling container...no mottle at all

Not sure what I did wrong. This is IGI 2281 mottling container wax from Peaks.

15oz of wax, 1 oz fo, Iced Cranberry and The Sugar cookie from Only Fragrance before he disappeared. No other additives. Heated to 190, added dye...added fo at 185, then poured. I didn't heat my jars and I cooled them on the stove uncovered.

Should I try adding stearic? Mineral Oil? I poured these after midnite last night...thinking I would get up this morning to wonderful mottled containers :cry2: was disappointed since I poured 4 of them lol. Any ideas?

post-10297-139458505366_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jeanie...you should see the tops...all sunken in...and I put sprinkles in them..so guess i will be burning those for me when there is no company around. Didn't realize they would shrink up that much LOL.

Bernadette...I repoured 2 tonight using a different fo...Santa's Spruce from Bramble Berry and I poured them cool at 150. Hope it makes a difference. If this doesn't work I guess I will give Peaks a call and get some advise on what to do.

Thanks Jeanie...you should see the tops...all sunken in...and I put sprinkles in them..so guess i will be burning those for me when there is no company around. Didn't realize they would shrink up that much LOL.

You mean the tops (bottom of mold) shrunk up on you?....lol. You do what I do by burning failures when no one is around to see them.

GL on the new batch. Sure hope they mottle for you.

I know I probably shouldn't even say anything in this thread since I don't do this.. but I do read a ton about making different types of candles and I thought hard about doing mottled ones ( a long time ago )

I was just wondering, and I know this might sound silly and I might not have a clue, but I remember reading quite a few times on the BC board, that some of the ladies who weren't getting a good , or any mottle, needed to cool them even slower than they were doing and that the air temp in their room had screwed things up. Could you possibly put them in an insulated container like an ice chest, or cover them with a box and some towels?

Sorry if I offend anyone but putting my two cents in, it was just something I remember reading a bunch .

I have not tried this wax, nor making mottled containers. However, I do make mottled pillars all the time. While it's not necessary with my system for the pillars, I would try cooling them slower like BTA suggested, and heating the jars. I also strongly recommend adding Polyboost 150, especially since 2281 is a straight paraffin ("Wax will mottle under right conditions") compared to 1274 ("specialty wax blend designed for producing pillar or votive candles that mottle.") Since I started using 150 (again, in 1274) I've not had any issues getting good mottling, in fact, sometimes it's "too much"!

BTA...you go right ahead and comment...I welcome ALL replies. I'm like you...I read alot about all of the types of candle soapmaking whether I do it or not.

I obviously haven't read much on mottling container waxes...since I woke up this morning again to two unmottled jars :( I don't have polyboost ks, I never needed anything

to promote mottling in my pillar wax.

Lizzy....yep...I'm going to give up on this wax, somethings not right. I think I am going to try the 2530H from Candlewic that Steve in PA has recommended in the past.

They are an hour from me, so will give it a try.

BTA...you go right ahead and comment...I welcome ALL replies. I'm like you...I read alot about all of the types of candle soapmaking whether I do it or not.

I obviously haven't read much on mottling container waxes...since I woke up this morning again to two unmottled jars :( I don't have polyboost ks, I never needed anything

Lizzy....yep...I'm going to give up on this wax, somethings not right. I think I am going to try the 2530H from Candlewic that Steve in PA has recommended in the past.

I use 125mp staright paraffin from Candles and Supplies and I don't need a thing but FO to get a nice mottle. I just made a couple dozen last week for a lady and I know it works.(I bet it is your wax) :) I didn't warm them slowly either..I used a tad too much FO but next time I will cut back a little. I use 1oz.pp of wax. HTH.

Edited by kimmeroo

I use 125mp staright paraffin from Candles and Supplies and I don't need a thing but FO to get a nice mottle. I just made a couple dozen last week for a lady and I know it works.(I bet it is your wax) :) I didn't warm them slowly either..I used a tad too much FO but next time I will cut back a little. I use 1oz.pp of wax. HTH.

That's the one I use now too. Love this wax. It's excellent!

Just a heads up for you in case you want to try C&S mottling wax. Candlewic and C&S are a 30 minute drive from one another. When I go on a supply run to PA I stop at both they are so close together.

ksranch has a point, cool them slower. When you finish pouring, put a box over the containers to hold the heat in a bit. Make sure you don't add vybar. Mineral oil will probably compete with your FO for the amount of FO that the wax can hold so use that lightly methinks.