Trademark violations

Georgia

I was at a small show today (did horrible, but so did everyone else) and I was appalled at the number of crafters who think nothing of breaking federal trademark laws. Disney princesses, NFL teams, local college teams - everywhere! I won't do business with those people no matter what they have. Is there a nice way to tell them why I won't patronize their booth? I really hate just ignoring the issue...

If they don't out right ask, I wouldn't worry about it.

If they do have the balls to flat out ask you why you haven't bought anything at their booth, just tell them there's nothing there that you're interested in. It's not a lie, you're just not going into WHY you aren't interested LOL.

I do understand the frustration of "going by the rules" when it doesn't seem anyone else is.

It's certainly nothing new, and I have always ignored it. One very large craft show in my area got raided a couple of years ago and vendors with trademarked logos had their merchandise confiscated. There are huge fines, too.

I've never felt the need to explain to someone why I don't buy from them. I'm more concerned with those who sell commercial products at 'craft' shows.

If you feel the need to say something, I would notify the sponsors of the show.

It does amaze me also. On licensed fabrics there is a warning for personal use only. Some people just don't care. SliverofWax is correct they will face hefty fines and items confiscated, Not worth the risk in my opinion. Companies are cracking down on their trademarked rights due to the economy.

I was at a small show today (did horrible, but so did everyone else) and I was appalled at the number of crafters who think nothing of breaking federal trademark laws. Disney princesses, NFL teams, local college teams - everywhere! I won't do business with those people no matter what they have. Is there a nice way to tell them why I won't patronize their booth? I really hate just ignoring the issue...

This seems to be the norm nowadays. If they can't come up with anything creative or original they just choose to profit from another companies brand in hopes of making a sale. I'd say about 2/3rds of ANY craft show is like this, and one of the reasons why I stopped going to them. Here in the south it's NFL Alabama/Auburn BS and it really needs to be regulated better. Tons and Tons of trademark laws are violated at the expense of making a sell; regardless of how pathetic that "Alabama A" wall decoration looks. Shame. I used to go to these shows for inspiration and to see whats new and creative, but it's more or less NFL "gifts" and Disney "crap".

This seems to be the norm nowadays. If they can't come up with anything creative or original they just choose to profit from another companies brand in hopes of making a sale. I'd say about 2/3rds of ANY craft show is like this, and one of the reasons why I stopped going to them. Here in the south it's NFL Alabama/Auburn BS and it really needs to be regulated better. Tons and Tons of trademark laws are violated at the expense of making a sell; regardless of how pathetic that "Alabama A" wall decoration looks. Shame. I used to go to these shows for inspiration and to see whats new and creative, but it's more or less NFL "gifts" and Disney "crap".

I know what you mean ! Since moving back down here, I wish I had a buck for every time in the past five months I've been asked to make something with the AU or UA crap on them. I keep telling them I can't !

Get this ! I know one girl that gets away with doing blankets with the official cloth you buy at WM for those teams, and she quilts them... she takes DONATIONS for each blanket instead of selling them. She is gonna get her tail busted one day ! UA especially doesn't go for that. They prosecuted this one old man who'd been taking snapshots of the games since before Bear was even there, and then blowing them up and selling them... UA sued that old man !

Edited by blacktieaffair

Yep. It's crazy.

What really ticks me off, are the morons that buy it! Any idiot can trace a design or "paint" the words Alabama or Auburn onto a plank of wood with a little tube of 50 cent acrylic craft paint and actually sell it for whopping amounts of money...as folk art or some other such nonsense. I'm all for team celebration and collegiate camaraderie but support it by buying legit stuff, that at least benefits the schools.

But it all comes down to laziness and easy trends. At any given craft festival 90% of the booths are just copies of the ones right next to them and of those at least half will have trademark infringement on a college team, mickey mouse, superhero of the month, etc. at least the ones down here.

It's a real shame.

Edited by rctfavr3

I actually met one vendor at a craft show this fall that was telling me about all the time and money she spends on getting legal permission to use company and artists names for her flags and fabrics. At first I didn't know what she was talking about until she showed me some flags she had that had sports league names and logos etc. on them.

So just so you are aware-- there are some vendors out there who do this. It must be a pain in the butt to have to get permission from each company. Thats why I don't use trademarked names. Too much legal trouble.

I used to work for the largest sign company in the US. We made small clocks - 1000's at a time - and wanted to put NFL helmets on them to sell to bars. We couldn't afford the rights - the price would double and our profit would be zero. You can't convince me that a crafter has rights to sell sports logo stuff...

I used to sell boot jacks for a leather crafter and he had the legal right to use Texas A&M, Texas Tech and U of Texas. So yes, some small crafters do take the time to be legal and no these are not national NFL type teams but big in Texas.

BUT I see these three teams logos used at every craft show I attend and I know they have not pursued the rights to paint Texas A&M on bricks or Texas Tech on a yard sign.