broad range of results

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

My observation:

Are we comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges?

I know that if I warm up an FO, how much FO I am warming will make a big difference in how strong the scent is, how long it lasts, etc. The type of melter you are using makes a difference as does the wattage of the bulb in an electric burner.

And I see folks struggling to attain some vague goal with their tarts/melts - 12 hours, 48 hours, medium hot throw, super strong hot throw, etc.

There are so many variables! Unless you have all the information, not just the type of wax and how much FO per pound was added to the wax, you might be comparing apples and oranges. You also need to know how many ounces are in the melter, the type of melter, the wattage of the melter, not to mention the circulation in the room/house, etc...kwim?

Lots of people are probably making great melts but think they should be better because they don't have all the information. :wink2:

Completely agree!

I want to be in the club that gets days out of melts but even with all of the waxes I have tried, unless it is a laundry scent, I get 8-12-ish hours.

I also like my melts MUCH stronger than some people do. Oh, and I know that I have dampened my sense of smell since making. Some people will tell me that they have a melt (just 1 and I use 3-4 in 4 warmers) of mine and it has been going 2 days. I made it and I do not get those results so something is up!

I have an open concept house and a husband who likes ceiling fans.

I have just decided to try soy since I have not yet and then settle on a wax combo that offers me consistent results even if the melts do not last for days in my house!

Someone told me what they use as a "trick" quite some time back. I'll toss it out there but honestly don't know if it makes a difference. I do, do this.

When the clamshell or tart mold is just beginning to skin over put them in the refrigerator to finish setting up. Supposedly it seals the FO in.

Also, what could be a difference is I test most of the time tarts and not clamshells cubes. I think a tart is double the wt of one clamshell cube. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that.

I agree totally!

My observation:

I know that if I warm up an FO, how much FO I am warming will make a big difference in how strong the scent is, how long it lasts, etc. The type of melter you are using makes a difference as does the wattage of the bulb in an electric burner.

And I see folks struggling to attain some vague goal with their tarts/melts - 12 hours, 48 hours, medium hot throw, super strong hot throw, etc.

There are so many variables! Unless you have all the information, not just the type of wax and how much FO per pound was added to the wax, you might be comparing apples and oranges. You also need to know how many ounces are in the melter, the type of melter, the wattage of the melter, not to mention the circulation in the room/house, etc...kwim?

Lots of people are probably making great melts but think they should be better because they don't have all the information. :wink2:

"And I see folks struggling to attain some vague goal with their tarts/melts - 12 hours, 48 hours, medium hot throw, super strong hot throw, etc.

There are so many variables! Unless you have all the information, not just the type of wax and how much FO per pound was added to the wax, you might be comparing apples and oranges."

AMEN!

Edited by lmc

I have to agree with everyone in this thread but do have one more variable to add....

Who says the are getting X amount of time out of who's tarts???

Only reason I mention this is I have seen in some of the wonderful FB groups and other groups, the same folks rave and do dances over some vendors tarts saying the last eons... but little do we know... some of those "ravers" are being supplied with deals/freebies to rave for those vendors....

Just an observation and hope it doesn't offend anyone...

I have to agree with everyone in this thread but do have one more variable to add....

Only reason I mention this is I have seen in some of the wonderful FB groups and other groups, the same folks rave and do dances over some vendors tarts saying the last eons... but little do we know... some of those "ravers" are being supplied with deals/freebies to rave for those vendors....

There has been other threads about this and I honestly don't remember who all added input.

'll only answer for myself in that I am not selling yet nor have a FB page up for my business. I do think I found the tart blend I'll be sticking with but still like to check some new ones out that come along.

Ohhhhhhh Ecco I Ecco that heheh

Bunch of Tart Groupies! :laugh2:

I agree!

Also when I test I use two cubes of my clamshell at a time. I've weighed it out and it's about one ounce of wax. I don't gets "days" outta my wax so I'm not sure how many ounces people are testing at once. Do some of you get "days" out of one cube of a clamshell?

Jack, to answer your question in my usual southern Bama way ..

Well HELL NAW ! LOL

I'm curious. Am I the only one that does NOT want to get over 12 hours out of a single cube from a clam ? I mean , I want them to enjoy it, I want it to last a while, but come on !!!!!!

I WANNA MAKE MONEY TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't live in an area where you can get 5 bucks a clam and can still sell enough that if my customer doesn't come back for two months or so to reorder, that it doesn't effect ( affect?) me .

I'd rather they enjoy it some, and move on, and buy more !

My observation:

So what's your question?:confused:

Guest OldGlory

Sharon, the purpose behind the post is to point out that some people might be chasing an elusive ideal.

'Are we comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges' is a rhetorical question.

And I certainly did not mean to offend anyone by the post - just in case I did.

But, it would be a shame for someone to give up making tarts because theirs didn't measure up to that 'elusive ideal'. New people come to forums like this and think they have to keep testing until they get a tart that lasts 2 days of constant heat, using half an ounce of product. I thought it was important enough to suggest that they be aware of all the variables before they start comparing. That's really all my post was about.

You stated that this was an observation.

You just described me exactly. I came here and read and read. I was educated but thought my melts certainly did not measure up because I read that many did not offer them if they lasted less than 24 to 48 hours.

I appreciate hearing that others with much more experience may have results like mine.

Edited by justajesuschick

Yes!! I am sick of testing all the waxes I have purchased just to back to my old favorite because it works for me.I am glad to get 8 to 10 hours of good scent now then move on to a new scent.I have loved reading this!Thanks

Now not to be nosey but how much wax are you using that it's lasts 8-10hrs. Half an ounce, an ounce? Again, not being nosy but curious. Thanks :-)

Jack, to answer your question in my usual southern Bama way ..

Well HELL NAW ! LOL

I'm curious. Am I the only one that does NOT want to get over 12 hours out of a single cube from a clam ? I mean , I want them to enjoy it, I want it to last a while, but come on !!!!!!

I WANNA MAKE MONEY TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't live in an area where you can get 5 bucks a clam and can still sell enough that if my customer doesn't come back for two months or so to reorder, that it doesn't effect ( affect?) me .

I'd rather they enjoy it some, and move on, and buy more !

I feel the same way BTA. Enjoy my melt and buy more please! ;-)

Yes thank you country bee!

I have a problem smelling my tart after a couple of hours. So I start to think it has no HT but I'll leave my house then come back and it smells strong but after a bit I can't smell it again. I'm assuming this is candle nose. Does anyone else experience anything similar to this.

Yes,I have had that problem before and worried about it days on end that I messed up making my tarts then if I leave for a few hours you can smell the tart again and especialy if I make alot tarts in a day or 2 which I do,I sell at the farmers market and it keeps me hopping.

I am so glad I have read this thread. When I first came onto this board I done alot of reading about wax tarts, I decided to try and have a go at making my own, my wax tarts last normally for about 12 hours with a tea light warmer but after reading threads here I became obsessed that mine was not good enough, I became a mad professor making wax blends adding in fragrance at different temperatures but no matter what I did it did not make a difference to the longevity of my wax tarts. Since then I stopped making them as I thought that mine was rubbish and no one would want to buy them but now having read this I might start up again :).

Also I found that bakery fragrances seemed to last only roughly 8 hours.