Okay I Have A Question....

In a nutshell?

They don't give a crap about the product, just the money. Sorry if that ticks someone off but it's JMO

But it's very well know small operation company. I guess i thought that a successful company like that would always be testing everything.

Edited by jackbenimble

I used to buy from some that did this. I was too uncertain to "blend" my own so always bought as listed.

I suppose (guessing) that they feel good about each individually, so the assumption must be that each good scent will be fine mixed with another good scent. By letting someone mix their own, I think that also takes the liability for a yucky blend away from the seller and puts it back on the buyer since they chose/created it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.. but after reading so many of yalls posts about making candles, the variances that a certain FO or wick combo has.. I'm having an issue seeing how if you blend two, three , four or more scents together to get a special blend, is going to burn correctly when so many FOs act differently so my question is like Jacks. How the heck do you do that and know its going to work right, when you have no clue what combo they are going to request.

I personally offer the ability to do that with a candle, but they must contact me first, and I make sure that they know candles with an untested blend have a lead time of 4-6 weeks because of that. Needless to say, most people just choose a scent I already have.

Depends. You can do this if you are well aware of how the scents react. I would imagine those doing this have a working knowledge of what they are doing. Do they offer a pick from this list and then from that etc.?

Relying on careful note taking would lead me to believe this could be done along with an ability to test for wicking. It isn't exactly like they can just make it on site and give it to the buyer, right?

Edited by Scented

Depends. You can do this if you are well aware of how the scents react. I would imagine those doing this have a working knowledge of what they are doing. Do they offer a pick from this list and then from that etc.?

Relying on careful note taking would lead me to believe this could be done along with an ability to test for wicking. It isn't exactly like they can just make it on site and give it to the buyer, right?

Yes, it is scents they offer but you can also blend two scents together to create your own custom blend.

My exact thought. The only time that it might work out is if both scents take the same wick but how would you know if things do not change when they mix together...seems like it wouldn't but how would they know for sure. I have never tested that.

Edited by Holly

Again, I don't do these types of scented candles, so I can't really comment on personal experience, but I've read enough of yalls post and posts from the BC boards over the years, on how much of a booger things can be with testing , testing and more testing, and it just blows my mind that as much as yall already go through, that'd someone would want to add even more to than, when it's difficult enough to get the right combo with just one scent, one wax and with the correct wick and container.

I do this as a paid service, but with FOs only!

They order a custom scent blend of 8 oz ( @ 3 dollars an ounce) I make a small sample batch for them to evaluate (1oz) and one revision afterwards in necessary. I then ship the 8oz FO blend. The payment is all up front. I refund the difference of the 1 ounce sample and revision from total making the price of 8oz custom scent ~ $20. If the blend still isn't what the customer wants after the revision, the payment is refunded minus the cost of shipping 1 or 2 ounces of scent.

Also, they can pay a nominal fee to have the scent made exclusively theirs alone if they purchase 16 oz+.

But again, candles are a different story. What might be amazing in a tart...can be downright awful specific wax or wick. I couldn't fathom selling custom blend candles.

I guess you MIGHT be able to pull-off customer-created layered candles, as all of the liability falls to the customer in choosing good or poor scents. As Scented said, I think you'd need some kind of list to pick from to make the customer-created candle more goof proof. Still too challenging IMHO.

Edited by rctfavr3

I just saw this version being done on a wax reviewer's video. The company does chunks in cupcake paper baking cups. The customer picks two scents that are the chucks and a third scent as the overpour. These are tarts and actually it's a clever idea plus they look super cute and colorful. I can see how this particular vendor is appealing to their customers doing it in this way.

I've noticed that a good stable conainer candle build with vybar and a slightly under wick choice tends to burn the same no matter what FO I put in, especially if I keep the FO around the 6 percent or less ratio. So in that situation, I would suspect that a custom mix would probably work out fine for the most part.

For a pillar, no way, gotta test each one. For an overscented container, no way, gotta test each one.

So maybe a light scent can be done "on the fly" if the supplier remains constant and the mix is something the builder has had years of experience with.

So true, that.

Which is true of all things. Working knowledge is so important when giving advice.