relief holes

I use soy and I pour at the slushy stage (100-125) and I always poke holes just like you said, better safe than sorry. I may not need to, but because candles can't tell you how they feel (LOL) and you can't see through soy to see if there is a air pocket, I always do. How horrible it would be if a customer said their candle tunneled or put itself out because there was a big gapping hole in the middle.

I didn't poke relief holes in 6006 parasoy, and I'm not doing it with 4627 paraffin, because I didn't think it was necessary with one-pour container wax.

I don't with 4630 either - earlier I should have asked - pillar or container before chiming in! :embarasse

I tap my jars on the table once or twice as well. You're right, it does comes down to personal preference. As I am sure you have already heard on here a lot, what works for me may not work for you. I may have a routine in pouring a candle that is totally opposite of what you do but our candles will burn just about the same. I talk to my candles too. LOL. Tell them when they are misbehaving or how pretty they are. LOL

Hmmm. I guess some prefer to and others don't. Someone on here also told me to lightly tap my jar on the table after pouring or tap the jar lightly to "burp" up any air pockets. I guess it all comes down to personal preference?

A quick way to tell if your process produces or eliminates air pockets is to dissect a few from a few different batches over different pouring sessions. Choose a few at random - some from the beginning of a pour, some from the middle, some from the end. Cut them top to bottom all the way through like segments of an orange. Or crosswise at regular intervals. Either would reveal what may or may not be lurking.

I tap my jars on the table once or twice as well. You're right, it does comes down to personal preference. As I am sure you have already heard on here a lot, what works for me may not work for you. I may have a routine in pouring a candle that is totally opposite of what you do but our candles will burn just about the same. I talk to my candles too. LOL. Tell them when they are misbehaving or how pretty they are. LOL

There's an old thread about whether or not it's necessary to wreck the tops of container palm candles, and some prefer to just turn them upside-down after the top hardens instead. There was quite a heated dispute about it, if I remember correctly. Maybe I can find the thread and post the link here.

Edited by HorsescentS

There's an old thread about whether or not it's necessary to wreck the tops of container palm candles, and some prefer to just turn them upside-down after the top hardens instead. There was quite a heated dispute about it, if I remember correctly. Maybe I can find the thread and post the link here.

That very wise person...Wessex, I believe is where I learned about the cooling upside down. It did work as long as one could find the right time to turn them over...lol. I made a mess a couple times before getting the hang of it.

ETA: Might of been TOHM who mentioned it now that I'm thinking about it. One of the two.

Edited by jeanie353

Guest OldGlory

Working with various soy waxes for 11 years, never poked a relief hole, never found a candle that needed to be poked during my testing.

When pouring 6006, sometimes I do get air pockets, but so far they've all show up as a hole on the surface. I learned to 'cool' 6006 narrow opening jar candles on the stove with the oven at a low temp - so the surface was mildly warm. This completely eliminated the air pocket issue for me. I hate having to do repours.